Management Cam Neely media call - 5/25/21

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Interesting answer from Cam at 4:43 about the futures of Krejci and Rask.
Sounds to me that if they both want/plan to come back and the money makes sense they will be back in fold. Reading between the lines/best guess (on my part) I’d be Krejci wants to come back. Part of me wonders if this season ended up with a Cup (cart way before horse here, I know) if TR might want to go out on top. That last bit on TR is pure speculation on my part — nothing based on Cam’s comments.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
Give Cam lots of credit. The guy had a vision of how he wanted the B's to be, and he has carried it out. He lucked out by inheriting some great talent, but he hasn't made impulsive moves and has retained the core while adding intelligently to it. It's hard to be good year after year in a salary cap era, but he's managed to do it. Never getting the super high draft picks, but instead adding strong depth players and building for a playoff run year after year. The organization reflects that solidity from top to bottom, including Providence.

Reactions: sooshii and hrdpuk

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Give Cam lots of credit. The guy had a vision of how he wanted the B's to be, and he has carried it out. He lucked out by inheriting some great talent, but he hasn't made impulsive moves and has retained the core while adding intelligently to it. It's hard to be good year after year in a salary cap era, but he's managed to do it. Never getting the super high draft picks, but instead adding strong depth players and building for a playoff run year after year. The organization reflects that solidity from top to bottom, including Providence.

Wouldn't it be fairer to say he had a vision and has hired people to carry it out? Or is Sweeney just an empty suit and Cam is the one calling the shots and making the deals? I guess that goes back to just how much of any of it (good and bad) is down to Cam or down to the GM. I am interested in what the actual working dynamic is here.

Last edited:

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
Wouldn't it be fairer to say he had a vision and has hired people to carry it out? Or is Sweeney just an empty suit and Cam is the one calling the shots and making to the deals? I guess that goes back to just how much of any of it (good and bad) is down to Cam or down to the GM. I am interested in what the actual working dynamic is here.
Of course DS deserves tons of credit, and he is quite obviously one of the best GMs in the sport. But a different type of leader than Cam might not have chosen him or let him operate the way he has.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Of course DS deserves tons of credit, and he is quite obviously one of the best GMs in the sport. But a different type of leader than Cam might not have chosen him or let him operate the way he has.

That's fair. I am always unsure how much credit or blame Cam ought to get for any of it- he got a lot of stick around here for the Backes, Beleskey, Hayes, Rinaldo acquisitions due to comments he made publicly but I was never convinced 100% that is was Cam stucking Donnie with players, or ordering him to get a power forward. Because if it worked like that, then surely he would have built the defense differently? I don't know. I wonder how much Cam defers to Don's judgment and lets him get on with it, or if he provides a blueprint and says make this happen, or what. Would like to know.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
That's fair. I am always unsure how much credit or blame Cam ought to get for any of it- he got a lot of stick around here for the Backes, Beleskey, Hayes, Rinaldo acquisitions due to comments he made publicly but I was never convinced 100% that is was Cam stucking Donnie with players, or ordering him to get a power forward. Because if it worked like that, then surely he would have built the defense differently? I don't know. I wonder how much Cam defers to Don's judgment and lets him get on with it, or if he provides a blueprint and says make this happen, or what. Would like to know.
wondered at times too about how much Cam defers to Don then I think to myself, DS is a smart dude, can`t see Sweeney sticking around somewhere as long as he has if he had a Prez consistently poking his nose into his business. They were teammates and I suspect they likely get along reasonably well and respect one another

Not every move is a homerun but I look at what this team has done for what? 10/11 years now and I feel that this duo (and Chia while he was here) have always tried and succeeded to put a competitive product on the ice and as a fan that`s all I can really hope for

member 96824

A month ago many posters wanted a complete rebuild.

Now, after a first round win over the dysfunctional Caps, we're going for a repeat next year.

A. 99% sure Jean Jacket has never advocated a complete rebuild, as the Bruins are always the best team in the league in his world. I always appreciate the optimism from his corner :)

But B. Yeah you're right for a lot of people, I don't really see the problem personally. Both things can be correct, at the time they were stated, as opinions should be allowed to change as the facts do.

Strong opinions weakly held is always the way to go. Nothing worse than watching someone scramble to double down as the facts shift from underneath them just to avoid looking like a "hypocrite" online. We should start referencing the 2021 Bruins in B.C/A.D time, but for Taylor Hall, Mike Reilly, and Curtis Lazar.:laugh:

member 96824

I think there's a lot of speculation mixed with some spin and in reality, not many if anyone knows the split. Neely, Gretzky, Unnamed scouts with fetishes for finnish defenders, unnamed western conference GMs, there's a lot of excuses and finger-pointing that attempt to absolve Sweeney from any blame when things go south according to some fans, almost always in hindsight, never really hear those stories at the time...or when things work out well..Same on the flipside, some blame Don Sweeney individually when they stub their toe, and Cam can do no wrong because he was their favorite player 30 years ago.

I mean no disrespect to anyone individually, but I don't think anyone can say with full confidence that they actually know how any of this type of stuff goes down at the "who is individually responsible for transaction X" level, cause none of this goes down without buy-in, or at least disagreeing and committing, from the entire team. It's not as if Don showed up the office one morning to learn that Cam has been moonlighting as a pro scout and attending Florida Panthers game, then negotiated a trade to send Reilly Smith for Jimmy Hayes, then also moonlighted as a contract lawyer and Hayes to an extension and Don just learned about it all when he flipped NESN on. A lot of it comes from assumptions, hearsay, speculation, and sometimes imagination.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I think there's a lot of speculation mixed with some spin and in reality, not many if anyone knows the split. Neely, Gretzky, Unnamed scouts with fetishes for finnish defenders, unnamed western conference GMs, there's a lot of excuses and finger-pointing that attempt to absolve Sweeney from any blame when things go south according to some fans, almost always in hindsight, never really hear those stories at the time...or when things work out well..Same on the flipside, some blame Don Sweeney individually when they stub their toe, and Cam can do no wrong because he was their favorite player 30 years ago.

I mean no disrespect to anyone individually, but I don't think anyone can say with full confidence that they actually know how any of this type of stuff goes down at the "who is individually responsible for transaction X" level, cause none of this goes down without buy-in, or at least disagreeing and committing, from the entire team. It's not as if Don showed up the office one morning to learn that Cam has been moonlighting as a pro scout and attending Florida Panthers game, then negotiated a trade to send Reilly Smith for Jimmy Hayes, then also moonlighted as a contract lawyer and Hayes to an extension and Don just learned about it all when he flipped NESN on. A lot of it comes from assumptions, hearsay, speculation, and sometimes imagination.

It does raise the question, for me at least, as to what the point of Cam's role is- does the team NEED a President? If he does something important in regards to hockey operations, does the team NEED a general manager? Then what role does ownership have in all of this? Is is it rule by committee? It all seems so blurry lines-wise. All that said, I guess none of NEED to know :laugh: What I do know if whatever the miscues and failings that have happened, whoever is in charge has been doing an overall good job of keeping the team competitive and sutainable.

Reactions: BrainOfJ

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
It does raise the question, for me at least, as to what the point of Cam's role is- does the team NEED a President? If he does something important in regards to hockey operations, does the team NEED a general manager? Then what role does ownership have in all of this? Is is it rule by committee? It all seems so blurry lines-wise. All that said, I guess none of NEED to know :laugh: What I do know if whatever the miscues and failings that have happened, whoever is in charge has been doing an overall good job of keeping the team competitive and sutainable.
Cam “supports” Don’s decisions.

Reactions: Dr Hook

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

Now, after a first round win over the dysfunctional Caps, we're going for a repeat next year.

It's almost as if different posters have different opinions, and they express them, instead of everyone on here thinking the exact same way and flip flopping.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

I’ve saying this since the beginning of the rumblings and fan fair. Nobody knows who is responsible for what.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Wouldn't it be fairer to say he had a vision and has hired people to carry it out? Or is Sweeney just an empty suit and Cam is the one calling the shots and making the deals? I guess that goes back to just how much of any of it (good and bad) is down to Cam or down to the GM. I am interested in what the actual working dynamic is here.

It's been six years and I don't think we'll ever know.

I have been highly critical of both Neely and Sweeney for many reasons. However, as noted elsewhere, credit where it is due.

Whatever happens, kudos for knocking it out of the park at the deadline. All three of those additions have been excellent. I had little faith in Hall, and knew nothing of Lazar or Reilly.

As for DK#46 & Rask, I would have both back, assuming the money/term is reasonable, and that they want to come back.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
It’s interesting. When Chiarelli got fired Neely said he would have “an exhaustive search” for the next GM. I think Sweeney was his guy all along and that comment was his attempt at a smokescreen. What’s funny is I think 99% of the posters on here knew it would be Sweeney the second Chiarelli got canned. They were buddies, former teammates, and Neely was familiar with him and how he would want to build a team.

I’m not fan of the Jacobs family, but it’s clear that they have a big role as well. Heck, Harry Sinden is still an advisor, for whatever that’s worth.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

Yep......That's the HF Bruins board in a nutshell.

Until we lose Game 1 of the next series. Then it'll be wholesale line changes........

Reactions: bruins19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad