Management Cam Neely had a vision and hired Sweeney - 3 years later he was right

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
For a guy with no smarts, Neely effectively made changes when he thought the team was going nowhere. He fired Chiarelli and hired Sweeney who eventually brought in Cassidy with his prospects. I’d say that was a pretty smart move, considering his team was going in the opposite direction they are now. I would say Neely too has grown in his position as well.

I said the guy didn't have a high hockey IQ, not that he was brain dead.

If he kept watching the captain steer his ship into the ice berg without changing course I would be worried about his mental health,
not his ability to manage a team.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I give kudos to DS for building a 'team'.

A little something I came across:

Backes, though he didn’t play on the club’s recent four-game road trip, went along for the ride, which allowed him to continue his treatments on his nasty wound and to visit friends and family back home in suburban Minneapolis.

After arriving in St. Paul, the veteran forward invited all his Black-and-Gold teammates to his parents’ place in North Oaks, Minn., for a home-cooked meal. The majority of teammates made the trek out to the burbs for the free eats and camaraderie.

“Mom made dinner and 14 guys took Ubers to come to the house,” said Backes, sincerely impressed by the turnout. “I made them pay for their own Ubers, too . . . at least they haven’t submitted receipts to me.”

Backes said he suspected on some teams only one or two players would have taken him up on the dinner offer, which included his mom’s lasagna and kale salad whipped up by his wife, along with roasted brussel sprouts.

“We had 14 guys there, and that was a real special moment in my career — to have that many guys care about each other that much,” he added

It was also his father’s 65th birthday. “He got sung happy birthday by 14 of my teammates,” said a smiling Backes. “It was a cool day.”

Despite 18 stitches in his leg, David Backes returns to Bruins lineup vs. Lightning - The Boston Globe

I read that, too. Big Backes fan. And, as you say, SweeNeely deserve credit for bringing in a mix of players that appear to play for one another. They are a *team,* a point Cassidy often makes. (Speaking of same, doubtless he's had a significant hand in bringing this about.)

Recall the Stars line brawl game. One of the most delightful aspects of rooting for a franchise is watching a collection of players become a genuine team. I'm not on board with the Cup hype this season, but it's been special. And, clearly, it's a special group as well.

Reactions: Thrive

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Comments on Seguin, some of the stuff he says on Behind the B can be a real head scratcher.

And he wasn't necessarily known as playing a thinking mans game when he played in the league.

When you had the physical skills that Neely had at the time (pre-injury), it's not like he was going to be playing a "Janney-esque" type game.

I would not assume that because a guy was one way as a player, that's how his coaching/management will be.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
When you had the physical skills that Neely had at the time (pre-injury), it's not like he was going to be playing a "Janney-esque" type game.

I would not assume that because a guy was one way as a player, that's how his coaching/management will be.

That's why it was a supporting argument, and not my main source of why I think the way I do about him.

I think his view points on a lot of hockey issues expressed in public statements, and Behind the B make it seem he doesn't have a high hockey IQ.

His play as a player supports that to me. He didn't always make the smartest plays, was very hot headed at times. He got by on a lot of raw skill.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Issues I have with Cam that I don’t think have been mentioned in this thread:

It seemed he doesn’t take responsibility for the team’s issues. He’d blame others and make excuses without admitting fault of his own. The buck is supposed to stop with him, he should take responsibility for failings. He doesn’t take criticism well. See how he reacts to reporters when they push him. Does he even do real interviews anymore?

It is said that he is lazy. While the coaches and GM staff live at the rink working around the clock, Cam breezes in and out.

He created an ideal situation for himself: let others do the hard work, take credit for their good work and blame them and circumstances when things don’t work out.

Not the moves of a standup guy.

Reactions: Strafer

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

It seemed he doesn’t take responsibility for the team’s issues. He’d blame others and make excuses without admitting fault of his own. The buck is supposed to stop with him, he should take responsibility for failings. He doesn’t take criticism well. See how he reacts to reporters when they push him. Does he even do real interviews anymore?

It is said that he is lazy. While the coaches and GM staff live at the rink working around the clock, Cam breezes in and out.

He created an ideal situation for himself: let others do the hard work, take credit for their good work and blame them and circumstances when things don’t work out.

You want a president to go in the ice and coach? The buck did stop with him. That’s why your watching one of the best teams in the league. You can’t have ine way. You criticize when things aren’t going well. I get it. When things are going great, you need to give credit. Who cares that he doesn’t take criticism well. Is that a deal breaker for you. That’s media crap. It starts at the top.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Sounds like a whole lot of nothing here, unless you want to get more specific.

Reactions: JRull86

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
The biggest thing I was wrong about was the coaching situation. I didn't think they could find someone better than Claude and I thought the roster was a bigger issue. They've made me look stupid pretty much since Bruce's first game.

Just like you Rubber Biscuit i never imagined a coaching change could be so progressive. I was never a fan of Julien in fact i really disliked him however i felt it was purely a personnel matter more then a coach. I am so glad julien is gone and i have to bet that Cassidy is admired by every bruin fan .The real test is about to come .Obviously expectations are much higher this upcoming playoff season then last years.
P.s. i am really wondering if Julien with the same personnel as Cassidy would make the playoffs?

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

Since when is it the team presidents job to do the GM, scouts, and coaches job as well? He clearly has his say but let's Donny and his staff do their jobs. Which is exactly how it should be. Same goes with Cassidy.

What a ridiculous statement.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I know nothing about front office stuff, but I'm happy with what's on the ice, so Sweeney gets a thumbs up from me.

Plus I love when the Bruins are winning and they show Sweeney upstairs, looking down at the ice with this little smile, like his grand plan is all coming together. :)
a9ed842f739e930dc8e9340bafbbaeaf77994c50c74fc6a86b046b54cb9b2c59.jpg

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Just like you Rubber Biscuit i never imagined a coaching change could be so progressive. I was never a fan of Julien in fact i really disliked him however i felt it was purely a personnel matter more then a coach. I am so glad julien is gone and i have to bet that Cassidy is admired by every bruin fan .The real test is about to come .Obviously expectations are much higher this upcoming playoff season then last years.
P.s. i am really wondering if Julien with the same personnel as Cassidy would make the playoffs?

I love Claude but I don't think he'd succeed with the same roster. At least not nearly as much.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I kind of forgot that Neely was in charge, to be honest. But I think that's a good thing.

I look at it almost like i see things with employees. As the director of HR, if I don't know your name, it's a good thing.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
I'm not ready to give Sweeney all this credit. I think it goes to Butch. Seriously. Sweeney made boneheaded draft moves. Barzal and Connor were on the board (and the consensus picks). I love Debrusk, but at this point the other picks look really bad. You take best player available. Always. Butch his the reason they are so good right now. Developing good young players is due to coaching and veteran players. McAvoy is amazing, but that was not a surprise pick. I like Sweeney, but to say their success is due to his genius is silliness.

Chia was a poison. I also agree that the Seguin trade is blood on Neely's hands as much as Chia. The idea that "Seguin had to go" is total BS concocted by the Boston media. He is ripping up the league on a crappy Dallas team. Kid was 21. That is bad management.

So you want to trade Mcavoy for Cychyrn, Fabbro, or Kunin?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Can't say I am shocked that there are barely any posts here. Human nature I guess to be unwilling to step forward and say how wrong you were about something. I'm glad most of the "negative only" posters are gone, but I'm sure they will be back in droves if or when we lose in the play-offs.

Cam and Dom deserve kudos here. Neely never struck me as the most patient guy but he was DEAD ON about Julien. Should have been gone at very least after that dead team got outscored 7-1 by the Habs in games 6-7.

Sweenius has just been amazing. Even someone like me who liked the plan got frustrated at times. he was able to ink two thirds of the best line in hockey to a combined 12.8 millon over the next SIX HOCKEY SEASONS. Astounding. He had more faith in these kids then probably any of us, and he modelled it after Pittsburgh a bit I think, seeing how they had another run in them with their core with a bunch of years in between cups. Not saying we are going to win the Cup, but we are certainly in position to. Two years ago not many thought that would be possible.

I really like what's been done with people he has brought in. Cassidy wasn't a popular choice to be groomed as coach, but he's amazing. Then all those ex-Devils who grew up around hall of famers and were coached by all time greats like Lemaire and Larry Robinson. If I am looking for a head coach next year, my first and only call is going to Kevin Dean. His work with the new defensive corps is pretty unmatched IMO. He and Cassidy have groomed Carlo, McAvoy and Gryz in three successive years. These three give the appearance of 12-15 year above average NHL careers. There was a time between Bourque and Chara where the Bruins couldn't develop a defenseman to save their lives. The only guys I can really say we groomed were Boychuk, Kevan and McQuaid, and they were drafted by other teams, and only one of them was high end.

This team, while not perfect, is a team I feel we can go to battle with, and an entertaining, hard working, never say die group. That's all we ask for,

Lou, you know I love you like a brother. And I appreciate the kind words. But I can't accept any of the credit :sarcasm::sarcasm:

(Yes I know Lou meant Don and not Dom)

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I kind of forgot that Neely was in charge, to be honest. But I think that's a good thing.

I look at it almost like i see things with employees. As the director of HR, if I don't know your name, it's a good thing.

Let's go back 3 years. The Bruins stumbled badly the final week of the season and missed the playoffs. Charlie had just been given the keys from his father and most certainly told Cam this was not acceptable.

Cam was under a lot of pressure to look outside of the organization but in the end, promoted Sweeney knowing his job was at stake and he made the right call.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Let's go back 3 years. The Bruins stumbled badly the final week of the season and missed the playoffs. Charlie had just been given the keys from his father and most certainly told Cam this was not acceptable.

Cam was under a lot of pressure to look outside of the organization but in the end, promoted Sweeney knowing his job was at stake and he made the right call.

He did make the right call. He's also been learning on the job, and that's hard.

He's not perfect, but once he got "his guys" in there...hard to argue with his vision.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Lets not forget that CHIARELLI'S imprint is still pretty significant here......No matter what. Pasta, Heinen, Donato, Gryz..............Just four of his picks before he left that have been major factors for this team.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Don Sweeney gets a huge slice of this pie

I am not surprised at all. I could have predicted this in the mid 80's

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
I love Claude but I don't think he'd succeed with the same roster. At least not nearly as much.

I think even if claude would happen to have access to the exact same personnel he wouldnt play the young players as Cassidy does and thats one of the things i hated about him

Reactions: Strafer

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Congratulations to His Sweenius for assembling a top notch front office and coaching staff

His selection of Bruce Cassidy and Jamie Langenbruuner looks brilliant

Working with Neely to blow up the Yandle trade and save Krug was a biggie

Convincing Chiarelli to adhere to Svensson and PJ recommendation on Pastrnak a home run

And his lone stance to keep Seguin was admirable

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
I would dispute that but don't want to sound like a know it all prick in such a wonderful thread
I would also add he stole Tuukka, He saw in Kevin Miller what nobody else did, and has Bjork who you love and some others still coming down the pipe line. Not much to dispute as the buc stops at the desk of the GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad