Prospect Info: Cam Hillis

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He's better than Wise.

Wise was on the radar for a long time and his progression has slowed to a grinding halt. Hillis on the other hand was a true rookie this year in the OHL. He wants the puck. He wants to make plays. He's skilled and when you really watch him, his vision and playmaking is some of the best in this class. Love, love, love this pick.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Same here. Tough to complain, and that tidbit on him finally working on his skating, and with one of the best skating coaches to boot, makes me excited at what he can do in the next few years.

This is a high upside pick.
I honestly love our draft. Some of the picks were just flat out not worth it, but if you told me that we would get Olofsson, McShane, Hillis AND Fonstad before the draft, I would have called you crazy.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Can't really complain in the third. I had mixed feelings on Hillis from my viewings but hope he proves me wrong.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He's better than Wise.

Wise was on the radar for a long time and his progression has slowed to a grinding halt. Hillis on the other hand was a true rookie this year in the OHL. He wants the puck. He wants to make plays. He's skilled and when you really watch him, his vision and playmaking is some of the best in this class. Love, love, love this pick.

As you know, he wasn't one of ''my'' guys, but I'm excited about the pick. He was 45 on my list. We picked him up at 66. I'm excited to see what he does next year. He was 3rd BPA after Nordgren and Regula on my list.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I think many are a little deflated after the draft, since it didn't have the sizzle that many hoped for. As many know, I have been highly critical of the current management team but I must say that from this writer's perch, Montreal had a competent draft this year. Other than Harris, there were no real reaches and we obtained great value in some of our mid and later round picks. For once, we can say that most of the team's selections reasonably project to play in the NHL or constitute added value to our team's overall asset base. I agree with some, that the pick that had the most value, was Hillis. I see him as a Gallagher with more endurance. He will be a team leader and a player that other teams will rue having passed over. While it may only be the proverbial case of a broken clock getting the time correct twice a day, the quality of the draft and avoiding the urges to make an imprudent trade, indicates a modicum of competency that should be recognized and applauded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habby Gilmore

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Curious as to why he was a rookie in the OHL this year?
Believing that he was too small to effectively compete in the OHL when initially drafted, he wisely chose to spent an extra year playing Prep hockey at St. Andrew’s College. This was an excellent draft selection. As he matures physically over the next few years, Hillis will pass many of the players taken higher than him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Believing that he was too small to effectively compete in the OHL when initially drafted, he wisely chose to spent an extra year playing Prep hockey at St. Andrew’s College. This was an excellent draft selection. As he matures physically over the next few years, Hillis will pass many of the players taken higher than him.

makes sense, he seems to have done well at St. Andrew's at least.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I was before the draft, had him at 56 (had Olofsson higher, was happy to see him there), was damn thrilled we picked him at 66.

Playmaking abilities, and just 'skill' overall, was sorely missed in our prospect pool, but damn this year with Kotka, Ylonen, Hillis, McShane, Fonstad, even Harris to some extent... but as far as playmaking abilities, I may be overrating Hillis, but I think he's topping the list.

Reactions: Redux91

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I think he's a better prospect than Kotkaniemi in all honesty. Just does all the little things right.

Quote me in 5 years.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I think he's a better prospect than Kotkaniemi

Robert-DeNiro-Laughing-Awards-Ceremony.gif

Reactions: Cobra Commander
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad