Cam Fowler

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I have watched him play several times on TV and once live, so I am hardly an expert on him.

I want to know peoples opinion of him who have seen him play a lot and or follow the OHL.

People are saying he fell because he is bad defensively and soft. From what I have seen he certainly does not overpower people and run over guys, but I never felt like he was noticeably soft, and he seemed good defensively (good positioning, stickwork ect.) in the way that many NHL D-Men are good defensively without being a physical force.

Anyways, share your opinions. Thanks.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
I think his defensive game is underrated. I've seen him play over 20 times and I was surprised when I found out he had a reputation for being weak in his own end. He's not dominant....but he's not bad.

At the same time, I think his offensive game is overrated. When talking about Hall people say his stats were inflated because of the players around him. When talking about Ellis they say his stats were inflated. The same goes for Kassian and Henrique...but if there is one player on that team that really did have his stats inflated, it was Fowler. Sure, his first pass is great but it is a huge luxury being able to pass up to Hall or sharing a blue line with Ellis on the powerplay.

Michael Scofield

Feb 1, 2007
Gatineau
I think his defensive game is underrated. I've seen him play over 20 times and I was surprised when I found out he had a reputation for being weak in his own end. He's not dominant....but he's not bad.

At the same time, I think his offensive game is overrated. When talking about Hall people say his stats were inflated because of the players around him. When talking about Ellis they say his stats were inflated. The same goes for Kassian and Henrique...but if there is one player on that team that really did have his stats inflated, it was Fowler. Sure, his first pass is great but it is a huge luxury being able to pass up to Hall or sharing a blue line with Ellis on the powerplay.

I pay a lot of attention to the OHL and I agree with his defensive game being underrated, his smarts and positioning are actually pretty good. But offensively, I don't think you can say he's overrated. The Spitfires were just a very good team with talent in every position, Fowler included. I don't like the 'he was surrounded by great players' stuff. Of course, he benefited from it, but someone's got to finish off the play.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I pay a lot of attention to the OHL and I agree with his defensive game being underrated, his smarts and positioning are actually pretty good. But offensively, I don't think you can say he's overrated. The Spitfires were just a very good team with talent in every position, Fowler included. I don't like the 'he was surrounded by great players' stuff. Of course, he benefited from it, but someone's got to finish off the play.

This assesment seems accurate. Certainly having Hall to finish off plays helps Fowler's point total, but if you watch him play you can't help but notice his offensive potential.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The stigma seems to be that Fowler is soft. Personally, I don't see it. He's not a banger, but when you have his skill level why would you be? He strikes me as a finesse player who uses his skating, passing, and mind for the game to manage the defensive zone. That doesn't mean he's a creampuff.

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

I think Ellis benifited more from the powerhouse team than Fowler. Ellis would never had been PPG off Windsor IMO. Hes way softer than Fowler, and Fowler is more intelligent on the ice. Though they both benifit from the great team.

amack14

Feb 22, 2010
Cam Fowler reminds of of Brian Rafalski in the way he plays the game. He isn't overly physical, nor is he a defensive beast, but he plays the game smart in his own end which often helps him get out of trouble. At the NHL level, he needs to be paired with a physical defensemen in order to strive.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
One thing people seem to forget about Fowler, is that this was his first season in the OHL, making his point totals all the more impressive.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
I think Ellis benifited more from the powerhouse team than Fowler. Ellis would never had been PPG off Windsor IMO. Hes way softer than Fowler, and Fowler is more intelligent on the ice. Though they both benifit from the great team.

Really? How often do you see him play? Ellis can lay ppl out center ice, hits ppl in the corners, and is a pretty physical player. However, he too can play the finesse game.

Fowler is a guy who can make a great pass, uncanny passes (albeit at the junior level) and can skate with the best of them. Very good at positional play and uses an active stick.

However, he doesn't even so much as rub people out (except started to a few times near end of the year). He has no physicality to speak of....yet. Another draw back is his shots aren't overly powerful but are pretty accurate. Begining of the year was rough with Ellis and Fowler because both were trying to quaterback the same powerplay and our powerplay was terrible.

Fowler needs another year of juniors IMO before he's ready to move up. He needs to dominate here before he gets a sniff in the NHL and he should do so this year.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
I don't mean to sound like I'm saying Fowler sucks offensively. It's just that you look at his 55 point in 55 games and you know he wouldn't have had that on another team. He had a lot of easy points.

Ellis was 19 years old this season. He took a step forward in his development. I don't think he was a product of the team. He along with Hall were the biggest reasons they had so much success this season.

Rally Donkey

Aug 13, 2009
Chatham, Ont
I think his defensive game is underrated...

How can someone ranked 3rd all year by virtually every scouting organization including Central be considered "underrated"? You mean he should have been a 1st or 2nd pick ahead of Hall & Seguin? :shakehead

As much I hate to see any kid endure the kind of torture he did waiting for his name to be called, it's kinda like feeling sorry for Donald Trump. He goes 12th over all in the 1st fricken round, and Craig Button wraps his arm around him to reassure him everything will be allright. Hey Craig, go wrap your arms around the players who didn't get their moment in the sun while you were coddling your precious golden boy. So he's a good player who dropped a few spots - get over it and appreciate what you've really got in your hands.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
How can someone ranked 3rd all year by virtually every scouting organization including Central be considered "underrated"? You mean he should have been a 1st or 2nd pick ahead of Hall & Seguin? :shakehead

As much I hate to see any kid endure the kind of torture he did waiting for his name to be called, it's kinda like feeling sorry for Donald Trump. He goes 12th over all in the 1st fricken round, and Craig Button wraps his arm around him to reassure him everything will be allright. Hey Craig, go wrap your arms around the players who didn't get their moment in the sun while you were coddling your precious golden boy. So he's a good player who dropped a few spots - get over it and appreciate what you've really got in your hands.

Don't be pissed cause your team didn't get him, first of all.

Second of all, I'm sure the post you were quoting was meant to reassure the Ducks fans who are freaking out cause of our lack of defensive defensemen. Fowler had a +38 and shows great defensive talent, but it's overlooked by the 55 points in 55 games. All that's lacking is the physical side of his game, Scott Niedermayer will be assisting him with that this summer.

With Niedermayer's help, I can see Fowler making the team at least for the first few games of the season as a test to see if he can handle the NHL.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006

That's not what I said at all.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

From the good twenty games i watched the spits play, it isn't his defensive game you have to worry about... You need to convince him to actually move within five feet of the boards for once.

I honestly think that is why Fowler fell, he is too soft.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Ellis is actually quite a bit more physical than Fowler, despite being about 5 inches shorter. That's not to say that Ellis is a man-beast in the physical department, but he certainly dished out more hits than Fowler, and took more hits than Fowler. I have to question how many games you watched if you came away with the impression that Ellis is softer than Fowler.

Rally Donkey

Aug 13, 2009
Chatham, Ont
Don't be pissed cause your team didn't get him, first of all....I can see Fowler making the team at least for the first few games of the season as a test to see if he can handle the NHL.

I'm not pissed and I don't begrudge him or his team anything. I also think he's very capable of making the team. I'm just arguing the point that there's anything underrated about Cam Fowler. He's been under the spotlight ever since he ditched the NTDP for Windsor and he's had tongues wagging ever since - and for the most part it's been well deserved. All I'm saying is that neither his offensive game or defensive game have been "underrated" - they were strong and highly rated ALL SEASON by virtually everyone. The only flack he picked up was that he wasn't especially physical, but then he didn't need to be with guys like Cundari & Wallace there to tango. How anyone can say he should get even more props (that's what underrated means to me), is nuts. The only people who got more stroking than Cam were Hall & Seguin. All the proof you need is Button's hand between his legs as the 4th, 5th, 6th... picks were announced. My gripe is more with Button than Fowler. You're a tough NHL defensemen, right? Ok, get over the tragedy of "dropping" all the way from the top of the first round to top half of the first round. Do you really need to be jerked off on international television by Button? All Button did was made the kid look soft, which I personally don't think he is. Fowler should have told Button to take a hike. Heck, he didn't throw a punch all season, but he should've landed one square on the Button and sent his a$$ back to the main floor.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
I'm starting to not really like the Cam Barker comparisons everybody is bringing up lately. Cam Barker is very much like a Bryan McCabe type player, which I don't see Fowler being at all.

Fowler is way more of a Ryan Suter type at full potential IMO, with a little more skating pizzaz and a little less grittiness. If we're talking space cadet comparisons, his game would probably veer off more on the Joni Pitkanen path than the Barker one. Which is, short flashes of puck-moving brilliance and good offensive timing with longer stretches of disillusioned and generally unfocused and frustrating play.

The involvement of Scott Neidermayer in his development cannot be understated however, it seems like the Ducks are ready to put him in a fairly substantial mentorship role and he should be a wealth of information and how to become a great pro.

THEWEST

May 12, 2010
Having watched quite a bit of Spitfire games, i can say that Fowler is a gifted skater. He has a very smooth stride and is able to get out harms way quite easily. Having said that, he was usually in the 3rd pairing unless the PP was on. Unlike Ellis, he saw most but not all the PP time. From a shut down role and physical stand point, he was often shielded by the partner next to him. In the NHL, he will do well if his role is limited to PP only. He is a few years away from seeing 5 on 5 ice because he has to get tougher.......much tougher.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Sounds a lot like Lubo from the 1st couple of post in this thread.

I'd say a cross between Lubo and Tom Gilbert. Lubo's skating and elusiveness, Gilbert's style of offense and build. Lubo has a bomb for a little guy, I don't see that with Fowler. I wouldn't consider Fowler soft, just that he prefers to dodge hits rather than absorb them... but who wouldn't. The difference being, its easier to do that at the OHL level and still complete the play. Against a team like Chicago, you take the time to dodge the first hit/check and 9/10 times you'll have no outlet pass. I guess the reason he dropped then is that its more a physique question than anything. Can he build his body to withstand the punishment of the NHL? Because he is a very frail 6'2 190 (or at least appeared to be at the combine). If he can do that, every other part of his game is close to NHL ready. His vision is without a doubt the best of all the Dmen in this draft class.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
IMO Cam Fowler's best comparable is Paul Martin, except Fowler is elite at two areas that Martin is very good at and thus I think his ceiling is even higher. Fowler is an elite level skater and he has an elite level first pass but both are puck moving d-man that rely on positioning and stick work in their own zone.

Neither is physical and neither has a big shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad