Cam Fowler highly overrated!

coolbean04

Aug 5, 2006
I just don't understand how Cam Fowler is so highly regarded as a NHL prospect. He plays no D what-so-ever, doesn't score goals, is soft, and only racks up assists.

I see a mirror image of Cam Fowler being a Greg Joly clone.

Does anyone else agree?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
great skater, passer, strong shot, high hockey IQ. Needs to work on his defensive game, but what junior dman doesn't? He's got great potential IMO.

Cherepanisimov

Oct 8, 2007
I just don't understand how Cam Fowler is so highly regarded as a NHL prospect. He plays no D what-so-ever, doesn't score goals, is soft, and only racks up assists.

I see a mirror image of Cam Fowler being a Greg Joly clone.

Does anyone else agree?

You could say the exact same things to describe Michael Del Zotto, but I bet you feel a little differently about him, no?

coolbean04

Aug 5, 2006
great skater, passer, strong shot, high hockey IQ. Needs to work on his defensive game, but what junior dman doesn't? He's got great potential IMO.

Weaknesses:

Doesn't play a very physical or aggressive defensive style; does not take the body when a contact-oriented approach is warranted, and tends to play the puck before the man, exposing him to lost one-on-one battles against skill players. Point shot could use some improvement in mechanics, namely power and accuracy. Doesn't always make the right decision to pass or shoot in the offensive zone and has a tendency to defer to older, more experienced teammates rather than exploit open shooting lanes himself.

If he doesn't know how to play defense and has problem deciding when to pass and shoot. I'm sorry, he does NOT have a high hockey IQ.

You name a strong shot but this article mentions needs to improve power and accuracy.

So your defense of hockey IQ and shot power can be thrown out the window.

KingJet*

I see what you mean, most good skaters are overrated, he does have a good one timer but isn't a good passer, but if he was in the 2009 draft probably went like 27th or something, he reminds me of Kaberle who is also highly overrated and Moore is way better than him, I'm not a fan of him though but I still agree with you, usually the players I like are not over rated, if Columbus wanted that type of D, they would've selected him.

coolbean04

Aug 5, 2006
You could say the exact same things to describe Michael Del Zotto, but I bet you feel a little differently about him, no?

DZ pretty much outplays Fowler in almost every category.

Hahaha, DZ scored more goals in the NHL then Fowler in the OHL this year.

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
He get's **** on because he's an OFD, just wait everyone needs to ajust, Karlsson was crap at D for the first half of the season then picked it up and now is very good. Del Zotto, wasn't playing good D at all during the first half of the season but his stats overshadowed it, then he started playing better and then by the end of the season his D game stepped up a notch. Give him time hasn't even played 1 NHL game yet.

ErikKarlsson

The Best (per IOC)
Oct 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Weaknesses:

Doesn't play a very physical or aggressive defensive style; does not take the body when a contact-oriented approach is warranted, and tends to play the puck before the man, exposing him to lost one-on-one battles against skill players. Point shot could use some improvement in mechanics, namely power and accuracy. Doesn't always make the right decision to pass or shoot in the offensive zone and has a tendency to defer to older, more experienced teammates rather than exploit open shooting lanes himself.

If he doesn't know how to play defense and has problem deciding when to pass and shoot. I'm sorry, he does NOT have a high hockey IQ.

You name a strong shot but this article mentions needs to improve power and accuracy.

You are right everyone should be perfect as an 18 year old. :thumbu::thumbu:

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Weaknesses:

You obviously have not seen Fowler play much....

He shut down taylor hall in WJC is he not a skilled player?...just because you don't play incredibly physical defense does not mean you are a bad defensively (i.e. Scott Neidermayer).

He may not be elite defensively, but he is by no means a slouch...and he is an incredible offensive facilitator.

I guess

RESPECT THE SHIELD10

Aug 30, 2009
New Haven, CT
I think he is starting to be underrated. He was a challenger for #1 overall at some points in the year. I feel like, going into the draft, everyone is really high on him, and then once he starts to fall the bashing began, almost as though people were so desperate for a reason as to why he fell. Fowler is an incredible skater, passer, has great vision and hockey IQ, and his only real flaw is his lack of a physical game. I haven't watched him play as much as I would have liked, but based on what I have seen of him, and what I've read about him, his game seems to resemble that of the most recent Norris winner. Fowler is a great prospect and I would have preferred we had taken him over McIlrath. That being said I trust Gordie and I hope McIlrath turns into a great player as well.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
You obviously have not seen Fowler play much....

He shut down taylor hall in WJC is he not a skilled player?...just because you don't play incredibly physical defense does not mean you are a bad defensively (i.e. Scott Neidermayer).

He may not be elite defensively, but he is by no means a slouch...and he is an incredible offensive facilitator.

I guess

Highlighted: Taylor Hall shut down Taylor Hall by forgetting how to pass.

Never was impressed with Fowler, but I was shocked at how a guy so highly regarded dropped like he did.

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
All I hear about is how ****** his D is, and how hes going to be a bust. He's an offensive defensemen, and has skills you can't teach. Hes right up there with Hall interms of the best skater in the draft. He needs to work on his physical game, but like others said, hes 18, and you don't fully grow in to your body until your early 20s. He has lots publicity because he was pegged as the first defensemen to go in the draft until late in to the season.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
This is what this thread is (unfortunately) about. There's a legion of fans who must rip another prospect to shreds to justify the personnel decisions of their team's staff.

Exactly. It's rather sad.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I've seen Fowler 15x +/- this past season.
For me he never really stood out one way or another!
The were better defencemen (offensive and definately defensive) on the ice for both teams.
For Windsor I thought Cantin and Ellis was better.
For Kitchener it was Dan Kelly and John Moore. (16 year old Ryan Murphy was an equal to Fowler)

I never saw why he was considered the No.1 but saw the potential to be drafted where he was.....MEH.

Johnnyduck

Aug 24, 2010
Newport Beach
Exactly. It's rather sad.

completely spot on you are %100 correct with out doubt, guess what everyone I saw fowler at prospect camp this past month at anaheim ice, HE STOOD OUT. the guys skates with certain grace, he shoot with incredible power, and makes great defensive decisions, their is no doubt in my mind he'll be a stud. del zotto doesn't have skating skill that fowler has. their is a reason why he was so highly regarded and i see it as did everyone in that facility.

defer*

completely spot on you are %100 correct with out doubt, guess what everyone I saw fowler at prospect camp this past month at anaheim ice, HE STOOD OUT. the guys skates with certain grace, he shoot with incredible power, and makes great defensive decisions, their is no doubt in my mind he'll be a stud. del zotto doesn't have skating skill that fowler has. their is a reason why he was so highly regarded and i see it as did everyone in that facility.

This

I was there too and I'm just wondering if you thought he was as fast as etem?

Fowler is by far a smoother skater but I thought he was faster too

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
His skating ability is breath taking. His vision and passing is very, very good. The most valuable defensemen in the new NHL are the puck movers. That's Fowler's bread and butter. I could see him being a Kaberle type.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Ducks fans overrate Fowler. Probably more so than our other prospects. Especially in terms of how good he is now, compared to how good he can be. Even Scott Niedermayer, who some think he will become, took another year before sticking in the NHL.

The general board seems to be down on him. Almost to the point of underrating him.

Who knows if he'll pan out or not, but his skating is just amazing. Not just speed, but his turning and pivots. Poetry in motion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad