Cam Atkinson’s Disappearing Act

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I don’t usually catch many CBJ games, because of location and interest levels. But with Dubois (who is one of my favourite prospects) ripping it up, I’ve started watching them, and only after reading a certain news article did I realize that Cam Atkinson was almost literally invisible during my viewings. The same speedster who scored 35 goals and 62 points last season has just 6 goals and 9 points in 25 games this season. And after signing a 7-year, $41.125 contract just three weeks ago, he was a healthy scratch for last night’s game. What’s up with him?

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
He's not having a good year so far. He isn't the only CBJ player that has struggled this season. His scoring isn't the only thing that he has struggled with. His play away from the puck and his compete level have not been good. Tort's loves him and uses him in all situations. He was a healthy scratch before and came back with a good attitude and began to play well again. I expect him back in the next game and for him to be better for this.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
"I am a person that believes in second chances. I think the America is the land of second chances, except for when it comes to this dude, mr.Jabba the hutt fat slobbily no good lazy bum of the right-winger." "This dude should be arrested for thief, for being a thief, he stole money from Columbus Blue Jackets. " "He cashed in the money, evidently used it to buy a bunch of donuts." "This dude is the epitome of disgrace." Stephen A. Smith.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
Cam Atkinson is a historically streaky player. He's been through these bad streaks before, that's why I was so afraid they were going to sign him to an 8M contract just because of his goal totals, because he's not a top line talent. He'll get it back on track though, he always does.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Hard working and talented player who is getting some tough love right now.

He, Foligno, and Wennberg need to pick it up. They were very good last season but are struggling this season.

Good news is Panarin, Dubois, and Anderson have picked up the slack and the CBJ are still at the top of the division.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
He is certainly struggling. I agree that he has always been a streaky player, but he's fighting it pretty hard right now. He is not alone in veteran CBJ players struggling, but he is at the top of the list of people that need to step it up. He is one of Torts' favorite players to use in all situations, so expect him to have a strong second half.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Terrible contract to give to a guy that was struggling so bad.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
I'm thinking last year may have been a bit of an anomaly, but this season is still relatively young and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends the year in the 40-50 point range.

Just realized he is signed at nearly $6 million/year until he is 36.:eek: With that contract I guess you got to hope 16-17 wasn't an anomaly and he has a few more season like that in him.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Columbus really shouldnt HAVE let William Karlsson go for nothing

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
3 points since signing his contract extension on a November 17th. As a few posters on here have said before, Cam isn’t the only “prime” player struggling for us. Foligno has been brutal this year and Wennberg has literally been non-existent. Savard’s defensive play has been ten notches below last year’s play. I could go on. But this team is just getting by. Good news though, when all things start clicking (PP, players who start to perform up to their standards, etc..) watch out. The potential is great. It’s only a matter of time.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I'm thinking last year may have been a bit of an anomaly, but this season is still relatively young and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends the year in the 40-50 point range.

Just realized he is signed at nearly $6 million/year until he is 36.:eek: With that contract I guess you got to hope 16-17 wasn't an anomaly and he has a few more season like that in him.
Yeah, if last season turns out to be a flash in the pan this guy could be a pretty significant cap anchor for what is otherwise a young team on the upswing.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

I wish this whole false narrative would go away. They did not let him go for nothing. It was an expansion draft hockey trade. Columbus sent David Clarkson's uninsured contract, a first round draft pick and an agreement with Vegas to not choose certain players including Josh Anderson. I wish they could have protected him too but they were going to lose someone to expansion. To state they gave him away for nothing is simply false.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
"I am a person that believes in second chances. I think the America is the land of second chances, except for when it comes to this dude, mr.Jabba the hutt fat slobbily no good lazy bum of the right-winger." "This dude should be arrested for thief, for being a thief, he stole money from Columbus Blue Jackets. " "He cashed in the money, evidently used it to buy a bunch of donuts." "This dude is the epitome of disgrace." Stephen A. Smith.

Lol.

Reactions: ViktorBaeArvidsson

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Cam Atkinson is a historically streaky player. He's been through these bad streaks before, that's why I was so afraid they were going to sign him to an 8M contract just because of his goal totals, because he's not a top line talent. He'll get it back on track though, he always does.

He's 28 and only ever scored over 40 points twice. What does "on track" even refer to?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
They were going to lose somebody whether it was Karlsson, Anderson, Korpisalo, or someone even more important.

The Jackets have a surplus of talent and some very good players on their 3rd and 4th lines.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I count 2 seasons over 40?

Are cbj fans saying he'll get back to a 50-60 point pace, or the ~40 point pace he was at before?
I guess I misunderstood what you were saying, but I think "over 40" when he's shown consistency and then steady improvement is a bit arbitrary.

His careeer avg PPG is .579 which is like 47 points on average over 82 games. Whether or not that happens, I'm not sure, but I think "back on track" would indicate that he continues his 20G+ ability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad