Player Discussion: Calvin De Haan

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
Not impressed by him at all, hopefully he can fgure it out and be better at own end

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
Started off well- did a basic job- but he’s hit a rough patch with physicality and no puck vision.

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
De Haan hasn't impressed but he's a PMD who is going to need a lot more time to adjust to a new system than a stay at home guy like Cole. Going to give him a few more games at least

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
De Haan hasn't impressed but he's a PMD who is going to need a lot more time to adjust to a new system than a stay at home guy like Cole. Going to give him a few more games at least

I find the opposite, defensive guys take longer, look at McDonagh and Savard who struggled big time when they came in and got better.

Either way, De Hann went unsigned the entire summer of 2022 and made the hurricanes on a tryout. He was then subsequently scratched the final 20 games and playoffs, I don't think there's much there, he's kind of the definition of a plug.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I find the opposite, defensive guys take longer, look at McDonagh and Savard who struggled big time when they came in and got better.

Either way, De Hann went unsigned the entire summer of 2022 and made the hurricanes on a tryout. He was then subsequently scratched the final 20 games and playoffs, I don't think there's much there, he's kind of the definition of a plug.

Don't you think McDonagh and Savard struggling had more to do with being traded midseason, not their playstyle?

I'm not saying De Haan is better or even good, but he's a puck moving defender so most of his effectiveness comes from being able to transition the puck out of the zone, shot suppression. That takes time to calibrate, so IMO he'll be less bad over time once he's figured some things out.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
He's been washed for a few years so his play being mostly disappointing isn't a huge surprise to me. Thought he'd be a decent minutes eater, but his age is showing on many nights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad