Proposal: Calvin de Haan (UFA next year) for our 2018 2nd?

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
I really like Calvin de Haan and I realize he's headed for UFA status this next year BUT do you think he's worth a gamble and get him before the season opens up then try and sign him?

Your thoughts?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
They could get more for him. If it's possible I do that in a heartbeat.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I'd easily do that
Barring injuries though, who becomes the pressbox guy? Kulikov?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I really like Calvin de Haan and I realize he's headed for UFA status this next year BUT do you think he's worth a gamble and get him before the season opens up then try and sign him?

Your thoughts?

Don't think you get anywhere near de Hann with a 2nd. NYI just paid a ransom that included a 1st and 2nd (2019) to keep their roster together at the XD. They need to win now with Tavares also a pending UFA.

Not much different than someone offering us picks for Little because he is a pending UFA. No interest to a team needing to win now.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
If this happens, most likely Morrissey is press box.
Which i don't want to see happening.

Morrissey can go to the Moose but reality is this trade will never happen. Morrissey will not be in the PB. He will be playing big minutes every night (if healthy)

There is currently no place for DeHaan on the roster unless Enstrom is moved or we get an injury.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Islanders are probably going to be buyers this season. They want to try and keep Tavares on the Island.

It's hard to imagine how the Islanders could become a real contender this season.

I think their short to medium term fate was sealed with a string of terrible high draft picks...

Strome (#5 in 2011)
Reinhart (#4 in 2012)
Dal Colle (#5 in 2014)

Imagine that franchise if they had just taken player taken after them by the Jets...

Scheifele (2011)
Trouba (2012)
Ehlers (2014)

That would be an entirely different franchise.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's hard to imagine how the Islanders could become a real contender this season.

I think their short to medium term fate was sealed with a string of terrible high draft picks...

Strome (#5 in 2011)
Reinhart (#4 in 2012)
Dal Colle (#5 in 2014)

Imagine that franchise if they had just taken player taken after them by the Jets...

Scheifele (2011)
Trouba (2012)
Ehlers (2014)

There is a similarity there to the Oilers lottery picks. The Oil took the consensus #1 in every case. Some were debated at the time (Yak) but I think most were not.

Strome (#5 in 2011) Now is Eberle
Reinhart (#4 in 2012) Now is Barzal & Beauvillier
Dal Colle (#5 in 2014) Developing in the AHL. Looks promising but a little disappointing for a #5OA.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There is a similarity there to the Oilers lottery picks. The Oil took the consensus #1 in every case. Some were debated at the time (Yak) but I think most were not.

Strome (#5 in 2011) Now is Eberle
Reinhart (#4 in 2012) Now is Barzal & Beauvillier
Dal Colle (#5 in 2014) Developing in the AHL. Looks promising but a little disappointing for a #5OA.

Jets don't always take the "consensus pick", and that's sometimes the best option. ;)

In any case....

Scheifele >> Eberle
Trouba >> Barzal / Beauvillier
Ehlers >> Dal Colle

The Isles bungled those drafts. The Oilers bailed them out with Reinhart, but Trouba would still be much more valuable than Barzal and Beauvillier to the Islanders this season.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Jets don't always take the "consensus pick", and that's sometimes the best option. ;)

In any case....

Scheifele >> Eberle
Trouba >> Barzal / Beauvillier
Ehlers >> Dal Colle

The Isles bungled those drafts. The Oilers bailed them out with Reinhart, but Trouba would still be much more valuable than Barzal and Beauvillier to the Islanders this season.

I agree with the bolded. Is it fair to say they bungled the drafts because better players went later though? That is almost always the case for almost all teams if you cherry pick.

If the Isles had simply taken the player taken after the one they took instead it would be:
Strome (#5 in 2011) Now would be Zibanejad
Reinhart (#4 in 2012) Now would be Rielly
Dal Colle (#5 in 2014) Now would be Virtanen (OK, skip another - Fleury

Zib is better than Strome. Not sure he is better than Eberle. Give him that for being a C but it is fairly close. Actually I'm still waiting to see what Strome does with the Oil. Might surprise.

Rielly is much better than Reinhart but is he better than Barzal & Beauvillier?

Dal Colle still probably turns out better than Virtanen or even Fleury.

The only one I would call a bungle was Reinhart. He was overrated and their scouts should have seen that. Yes, the Oil bailed them out. :laugh: What does that say about the Oilers scouts?

Not disagreeing that the Isles missed opportunity but I think you are being a little harsh.

I also think you are being a little quick to count them out. They still have a pretty strong roster. They have a bit of a ? in goal. Their forward group is deep. Their D corps is very good, top to bottom.

Their problems are signing Tavares and CDH for next year but they will make the playoffs this year. I think they are better behind the bench.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I agree with the bolded. Is it fair to say they bungled the drafts because better players went later though? That is almost always the case for almost all teams if you cherry pick.

If the Isles had simply taken the player taken after the one they took instead it would be:
Strome (#5 in 2011) Now would be Zibanejad
Reinhart (#4 in 2012) Now would be Rielly
Dal Colle (#5 in 2014) Now would be Virtanen (OK, skip another - Fleury

Zib is better than Strome. Not sure he is better than Eberle. Give him that for being a C but it is fairly close. Actually I'm still waiting to see what Strome does with the Oil. Might surprise.

Rielly is much better than Reinhart but is he better than Barzal & Beauvillier?

Dal Colle still probably turns out better than Virtanen or even Fleury.

The only one I would call a bungle was Reinhart. He was overrated and their scouts should have seen that. Yes, the Oil bailed them out. :laugh: What does that say about the Oilers scouts?

Not disagreeing that the Isles missed opportunity but I think you are being a little harsh.

I also think you are being a little quick to count them out. They still have a pretty strong roster. They have a bit of a ? in goal. Their forward group is deep. Their D corps is very good, top to bottom.

Their problems are signing Tavares and CDH for next year but they will make the playoffs this year. I think they are better behind the bench.

I would be livid if the Jets bungled those critical drafts like the Isles did, and so would the rest of the HFJets board. You can miss occasionally, but it shouldn't be on a top-5 pick. You can't afford to miss top picks repeatedly. The Barzal trade / draft was a nice save, but that franchise is looking into the abyss. Their franchise C and a top D are both going to be UFAs, and cost a ton to re-sign.

I don't see the quality you do in their roster. The forwards are okay, but the depth is nothing to write home about. The Ladd contract is an albatross. The D is fine, but not top-end. I think they have enough to make the playoffs, but I think it's improbable that they could go on any sort of playoff run.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

Strome (#5 in 2011)
Reinhart (#4 in 2012)
Dal Colle (#5 in 2014)

Scheifele (2011)
Trouba (2012)
Ehlers (2014)

The Islanders have finished ahead of Winnipeg in 4 of the past 5 seasons, making the playoffs 3 times and getting to the second round once.

Calvin de Haan will not be traded unless the Islanders are way out of it... and even then, someone will offer more than a middling 2nd rounder for him.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
The Islanders have finished ahead of Winnipeg in 4 of the past 5 seasons, making the playoffs 3 times and getting to the second round once.

Calvin de Haan will not be traded unless the Islanders are way out of it... and even then, someone will offer more than a middling 2nd rounder for him.

Maybe they'd take Stanley :naughty:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Strome (#5 in 2011)
Reinhart (#4 in 2012)
Dal Colle (#5 in 2014)

Scheifele (2011)
Trouba (2012)
Ehlers (2014)

Geez, now thats what you can call poor drafting. Not that any of those picks by NYI were off the boards bad, but that almost rivals Edm for high picks going sour. And then we come up several picks later & pick up the cream

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Going forward, the Jets are in much better situation, and the Isles don't have as much to build around. They've mostly squandered the best years of a franchise talent.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Going forward, the Jets are in much better situation, and the Isles don't have as much to build around. They've mostly squandered the best years of a franchise talent.

Time will tell, history has shown otherwise to this point. Good luck on the coming season. :handclap:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would be livid if the Jets bungled those critical drafts like the Isles did, and so would the rest of the HFJets board. You can miss occasionally, but it shouldn't be on a top-5 pick. You can't afford to miss top picks repeatedly. The Barzal trade / draft was a nice save, but that franchise is looking into the abyss. Their franchise C and a top D are both going to be UFAs, and cost a ton to re-sign.

I don't see the quality you do in their roster. The forwards are okay, but the depth is nothing to write home about. The Ladd contract is an albatross. The D is fine, but not top-end. I think they have enough to make the playoffs, but I think it's improbable that they could go on any sort of playoff run.

We'll see. I think they need a rebound from Ladd. Don't know if that will come or not. Without it their F's are deep but not too strong after JT. I really like their D, even without Hamonic. Their goalies could be good, or not. If they get the goaltending they should be good this year. Next year is a different story. I don't like them near as much without Tavares and CDH.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I just think the Islanders are going to have a good season next year to the point everyone is convinced that they're a promising team. This seasons 2015-16 Florida Panthers.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00