Calm down, Oilers fans

stompinstoms

Sep 1, 2014
Vancouver
Hey friends,

My latest blog at Along the Boards is a plea for all Oilers fans to calm down. After Wednesday's loss, I saw some posts (on here and Facebook) that were basically calling for the head of anyone not named McDavid or Draisaitl.

We all need to take a deep breath and calm down. I know it's hard, given the past decade and what not, but it's finally true this time.

http://alongtheboards.com/2015/11/oilers-fans-just-breathe/

Last edited:

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I do not know the meaning of this word, calm.

giphy.gif

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Classic.

"I know we have been bad for years, but THIS TIME is different"

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
7-14-1

I dunno if I'm ready to be calm.

Appreciate the effort, but if there's anything justified in Oil Country right now, it's anger.

Let the ones who are still optimistic be so, but I don't think it's fair to tell the rest of us to calm down when the record reflects as it does..

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
7-14-1

Appreciate the effort, but if there's anything justified in Oil Country right now, it's anger.

Let the ones who are still optimistic be so, but I don't think it's fair to tell the rest of us to calm down when the record reflects as it does..

Completely off topic but love the Lucas in your avatar. I've been thinking of doing something with Ness one of these days.

Back on topic, I see reasons for being optimistic but this fanbase has waited far too long and to see the results as they are is just crushing. It takes more than 20 games but there are still a lot of things wrong with the team that might take years to fix.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Oilers eliminated from playoffs in November.

How many years in a row? Lockout year doesn't count.

Even worse.. they look to be warming up for another December of ass kickings. Just like last year.

Mcdavid will come back at the end of January.
The team will play better because the games don't mean anything. The competition relaxes against them. Some bubble player will excel against the relaxed competition.

We'll spend the summer hearing how the Oilers picked it up in the second half.
Draft some guy.

Start Next year being told we won't make the playoffs but should be competitive.

Season starts. Team loses their first 3-5 games.
Connor will get hurt. (honestly he's good enough that we can't lose with him healthy. And I believe in the Oilers ability to find a way to lose so much that he has to get injured.)
Bubble player from last year will fail epically.
Bob Stauffer will find some way to tell us we're a better team.
November ends... we're so far out of the playoffs the season is over.

Rinse.... Repeat... Rinse ..... Repeat.

Yet I'll still watch and listen haha. I don't know if I'm more upset with the team or myself.

torcidasplit

Nov 18, 2008
Edmonton
Expecting different results with the same core of guys is crazy. Every year the same story, something is not working and changes need to be made.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Expecting different results with the same core of guys is crazy. Every year the same story, something is not working and changes need to be made.

Yeah, Chiarelli needs to make his mark on the team. Reinhart, Korpikoski, etc are small potatoes.

Big UFA signings and trading one or two "core" members has to happen before next season.

This is quickly turning into the Detroit Lions.

stompinstoms

Sep 1, 2014
Vancouver
7-14-1

I for sure understand the anger. My issue is really with the fans who want to trade Hall, Nuge or Ebs for Hamonic or something. Like, does that seem like a good move?

torcidasplit

Nov 18, 2008
Edmonton
I for sure understand the anger. My issue is really with the fans who want to trade Hall, Nuge or Ebs for Hamonic or something. Like, does that seem like a good move?

The thing is these guys aren't winning. It's nice to have them but they are not accomplishing anything. Do you expect them magically start winning games. If getting Hamonic means winning more games I'm for it.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta

Trade from a position of strength for a position of weakness? Yup,makes sense. Obviously no to Hall or RNH but I would not be disappointed at all if I seen eberle go for hamonic.

I think oil fans are sick and tired of the same old broken record playing. Like the poster said above,horrid start to the season,competition is softer,team plays well in meaningless games,optimism rises,draft in the top 5,completely wipe out the bottom 6,sign a guy or two,horrible start to the season,play well in meaningless games...........

Telling people who have had to suffer through 10 years of atrocious hockey and piss poor management to calm down is pretty much rubbing salt in the wound

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton

Trading Ebs for Hamonic sounds bloody brilliant. Trading Hall or Nuge for a defenceman better than Hamonic also worth considering. Why the heck should we stick with a core that has been the biggest failure in the NHL for half a decade?

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Nope. Not calming down. This thread made me more angry! Rawrrrr!

Other than Hall, the others can go and Oil fans would be fine. The team has McDavid and Drais at center and Ebs is a dime a dozen forward. Clearly it's time to make some moves. Probably won't happen until the second half of the year though or the off season. To put it another way -- The roster will look different again next season.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Trading Ebs for Hamonic sounds bloody brilliant. Trading Hall or Nuge for a defenceman better than Hamonic also worth considering. Why the heck should we stick with a core that has been the biggest failure in the NHL for half a decade?

Yeah, no kidding. I don't understand the reluctance of so many to deal Eberle for Hamonic. Don't understant it at all.
Considering need and contract status, it would seem like a good and necessary deal from an Oilers pov.

I'm curious to find out who they think Eberle would return in a trade, can't imagine anybody better than Hamonic at $4M/yr long term who would be available for Eberle. It seems like some people are looking for the perfect deal.

stompinstoms

Sep 1, 2014
Vancouver
Trade from a position of strength for a position of weakness? Yup,makes sense. Obviously no to Hall or RNH but I would not be disappointed at all if I seen eberle go for hamonic.

I think oil fans are sick and tired of the same old broken record playing. Like the poster said above,horrid start to the season,competition is softer,team plays well in meaningless games,optimism rises,draft in the top 5,completely wipe out the bottom 6,sign a guy or two,horrible start to the season,play well in meaningless games...........

Telling people who have had to suffer through 10 years of atrocious hockey and piss poor management to calm down is pretty much rubbing salt in the wound

I would argue that we don't really have a "position of strength." More of a rob Peter to pay Paul type of situation.

I think Hamonic is a good defenseman, but he's not a game changer. Eberle, when he's on, is a game changer.

And say we do trade Eberle; who's our first line right wing? Yakupov? Purcell? No thanks.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Oilers eliminated from playoffs in November.

How many years in a row? Lockout year doesn't count.

Even worse.. they look to be warming up for another December of ass kickings. Just like last year.

Mcdavid will come back at the end of January.
The team will play better because the games don't mean anything. The competition relaxes against them. Some bubble player will excel against the relaxed competition.

We'll spend the summer hearing how the Oilers picked it up in the second half.
Draft some guy.

Start Next year being told we won't make the playoffs but should be competitive.

Season starts. Team loses their first 3-5 games.
Connor will get hurt. (honestly he's good enough that we can't lose with him healthy. And I believe in the Oilers ability to find a way to lose so much that he has to get injured.)
Bubble player from last year will fail epically.
Bob Stauffer will find some way to tell us we're a better team.
November ends... we're so far out of the playoffs the season is over.

Rinse.... Repeat... Rinse ..... Repeat.

Yet I'll still watch and listen haha. I don't know if I'm more upset with the team or myself.

without some kind of shake, this is exactly what will happen.

come down! why? because, really, all these soft (now) 23 year olds are going to get tougher. Honestly, they're going to be able to battle more than they ever have in their first 4 years. they're going to be able to shot better than they ever have in their first 200 games. Really. just wait a little longer. it really will all work out.

ENOUGH!!!! this group has failed and it is time to shake it up. status quo IS NOT an option.

those that think that this group simply needs more time are the deluded fools in this conversation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad