OT: Calling out HFBoards lawyers

68*

Brahs,

I got a parking ticket and I'm wondering if I can win if I contest because the sign was partially obstructed by stickers some ********** with nothing to do glued to it?

Also, what happens if I just refuse to pay? Will they take my car? Increase my insurance?

Thanks for your help.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Brahs,

I got a parking ticket and I'm wondering if I can win if I contest because the sign was partially obstructed by stickers some ********** with nothing to do glued to it?

Also, what happens if I just refuse to pay? Will they take my car? Increase my insurance?

Thanks for your help.

Take a picture and mail in a copy along with your non-guilty plea.

In fact, this is a new trick...

If you get a ticket put stickers on a sign and take pictures. lol.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Brahs,

Thanks for your help.

I'm not a lawyer but you'll have a hard time proving it , as for the second thing it will triple after 3 months and doubles again, within less then 6 months (since ticket issued).
You then get a bailiff at your door with 250-300$ added to the amount owed.

Example : 52 becomes 180-200 and then 420-440 + (Bailliff 250 + suspended license) = about 700$.

My advice pay the ticket and cut your losses.

68*

Take a picture and mail in a copy along with your non-guilty plea.

In fact, this is a new trick...

If you get a ticket put stickers on a sign and take pictures. lol.

Don't worry I took a picture already. :)
Man I hate parking agents.

68*

I'm not a lawyer but you'll have a hard time proving it , as for the second thing it will triple after 3 months and doubles again. within less then 6 months (since ticket issued , than you get a bailiff at your door with 250-300$ added to the quadrupled amount.
Example : 52 becomes 180-200 and than 420-440 + (Baillif 250 + suspended license) = about 800$.

My advice pay the ticket and cut your losses.

**** that sucks.

I'll ask my father to contest it. The car is registered on his name and he was an excellent lawyer in the old country. If that guy believes he's right even if he's completely wrong, he can make you believe he's totally right.

cedouimet

Aug 3, 2005
I've contested many tickets....you'll hear back on them between 6months to a year later depending on the case and if they need you to come to debate it in front of a judge.

If you contest it and you lose, youll have a minimal fee added...like 10 $ as interest.

I've also took 5months to pay a speed ticket once without contesting and never had to pay any double or triple....they have to get to your case before you finnaly pay it and this is not before anything close to 6months...they have to much cases to go thrue.

But honestly contest it with pictures...chance is youll win...good luck!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm a lawyer and have successfully represented forum members in the past (most recently Whiskey7.) Pick up the phone and call my office:

1-800-GET-SAUL.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I'm a lawyer and have successfully represented forum members in the past (most recently Whiskey7.) Pick up the phone and call my office:

1-800-GET-SAUL.

Geez, you're the anti-Saul, the guy who accuses his clients of moral transgressions and stones them to death to avoid court costs.

Have you not read anything I've written? I'm the corrupt moral-relativist of this board.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Brahs,

Thanks for your help.

You do have case. If you can show that it was reasonable to have missed the sign because it was hidden, you'll be acquitted. It's the city's responsibility to have road signs displayed clearly; you can't be penalized when instructions are not visible.

The judge will decide if the infraction was based on your failure to see the sign or the city's failure to properly display it. That will depend on a clear photo of the obstructed sign.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
All the tickets I contested over the years have been going my side, either in front of a judge or just via mail.

Once I had to present my case and they gave me a copy of the police report wich was so badly written that the judge just told the court that favorable to me, just because we could barely understand the policeman's description of the infraction.

If you think you have a chance to win, go for it, if you still lose the extra fee is low anyway.

The n00b King

Kingin' since 2003
Feb 10, 2008
Singapore
I work across the street from a building that had two parking spaces intended for deliveries. There is a sign that clearly indicates that one cannot park there from Monday to Friday from 7 am to 6 pm. Yet, everyday there's a bunch of schmoes that park there and get tickets. People are dumb.

I don't know how that relates to you but just pay it. It will cost the rest of us less money.

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
All the tickets I contested over the years have been going my side, either in front of a judge or just via mail.

Once I had to present my case and they gave me a copy of the police report wich was so badly written that the judge just told the court that favorable to me, just because we could barely understand the policeman's description of the infraction.

If you think you have a chance to win, go for it, if you still lose the extra fee is low anyway.

This; it's quite surprising how easy it is to contest a ticket. From experience, judges seem to want to be on your side, mostly because the real "lazy bums" that don't want to pay tickets and "take no responsibilities" are usually the ones that don't even show up to a court date; so just showing up gives you bonus points with a judge ;p
taking pic of covered up sign pretty much guarantees you victory ;o

This is an opinion of course, im not a lawyer.

Last edited:

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
I've parked on the same street quite a number of times and didn't know there was a small 2-car sized zone on the curb of a residential street for a small van to pick up/drop off handicapped people. I was in a hurry and accidentally parked in that zone which is only indicated by a small sign. There are no traces of paint either. I see dozens of cars parked and a few spots but parked there to be closer to where I needed to be.

I didn't look up and see the sign. When I came back, I had a 450$ ticket!

I contested it. This was 3 months ago and haven't heard back yet. My guess is that I'll end up paying like half once I explain the circumstances. This ticket is a joke!

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Man you must be in the police or in the army or something because in every "law" related thread you make sure that law & order prevails lol

You sound like you could be one of my kids :). I am not a superparent by any stretch but the times that I've let my kids know that I am disappointed is when they've tried to blame a teacher, a cop, or a meter attendant for their own screw ups.

Besides I have found that in 100 percent of cases where I personally had to pay a fine, I either flouted the law (speeding), or interpreted the sign in the most lenient way possible. Then there are just plain ****ups where I made a mistake by forgetting something. **** happens, pay the fine , learn, move forward.

Last edited:

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
I work across the street from a building that had two parking spaces intended for deliveries. There is a sign that clearly indicates that one cannot park there from Monday to Friday from 7 am to 6 pm. Yet, everyday there's a bunch of schmoes that park there and get tickets. People are dumb.

I don't know how that relates to you but just pay it. It will cost the rest of us less money.

having a bad day?

68*

Take responsibility and pay the ****ing thing .

No thanks. I don't just bend over and give 100$ to the city like this. I'm gonna fight it. We're gonna see if I win. I'm confident I will.

Thanks to everyone else who gave good advice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad