Calle Johansson

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Everyone liked Calle. Quietly effective... a modern day comparable from the current roster would be Karl Alzner. Never fought, never took bad penalties, always in good position.

He once said that most fans thought he was an offensive Dman since he was a svensk and could skate well, but that he considered himself a defensive dman first and foremost. Yeah he scored 15 once but averaged about 7-8 per year.

I would consider him maybe top 10 all time best caps dmen. Perhaps a list needs to be compiled to help kill the dog days of summer.

Hejdà

Scott Stevens
Rod Langway
Calle Jo

He had a lot more offense than Karl does. I'd compare him to Niskanen. Does everything well.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Nisky may be a good comparable. He is a bit more scrappy and physical than Calle of course, who never blew a fuse.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Nisky may be a good comparable. He is a bit more scrappy and physical than Calle of course, who never blew a fuse.

You sure? As a hockey-commentator on swedish television he always talked about how much he liked physicality and how important it is. Never striked me as a soft person. Was he really that non-physical?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
You sure? As a hockey-commentator on swedish television he always talked about how much he liked physicality and how important it is. Never striked me as a soft person. Was he really that non-physical?

Compared to others in his era, yes I believe so.

I think his consistently low PIM count attests to it somewhat. Make no mistake he was effective and would play the body, but not to hit and knock opposition players onto their *****. There are varying levels of physical play of course. He was not a banger a bopper a big hitter.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I remember him being physical the way Backstrom is. He didn't throw big hits, but he used his body effectively to protect the puck or to try to separate it from the opposition.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
getty_cjohansson.jpg

Just curious what you Capitals fans think about Calle Johansson.

Is Calle considered one of the best Capitals d-mans ever?

Was his style stay at home with some grit or skilled non-physical?

1) I nearly named my daughter Callie after Calle, extremely popular. Certainly one of the 10 most recognizable Caps alum among Caps fans probably top 5.
2) Yes largely due to longevity/reliability/consistency.
3) Skilled non-physical - never took a lot of PIMs, played a ton of minutes.

Last edited:

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
I named my pokemon after Caps' defenders on those early '00s teams. Johansson, Gonchar, Cote, Klee, and Witt. The only one I remember for sure was that Witt was a Clefable. I've associated Witt with a little pink fairy ever since.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad