Calle Jarnkrok

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I could see him playing second line wing. Tenacious on the forecheck is exactly what this line needs. Responsible defensively. Isn’t an offensive black hole. Is a right hand shot who can take draws on Tavares’ bad side if needed.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I could see him playing second line wing. Tenacious on the forecheck is exactly what this line needs. Responsible defensively. Isn’t an offensive black hole. Is a right hand shot who can take draws on Tavares’ bad side if needed.

While he may not be an offensive black hole, the word offense and Jarnkrok look kind of weird together in a sentence.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I am shocked we gave a player like Jarnkrok 4 years. He will be 31 when the season starts...WHY??

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I am shocked we gave a player like Jarnkrok 4 years. He will be 31 when the season starts...WHY??
We have too many 1st round picks coming up and we need to sign contracts that will require a 1st rounder to move them???

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

I will leave quietly now….

Reactions: The Iceman

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
While he may not be an offensive black hole, the word offense and Jarnkrok look kind of weird together in a sentence.
He has Kerfoot-like qualities/offensive numbers. Kerfoot wasn't a fit - could he be? If not, who? I don't think that Robertson is a fit with them.

He doesn't have to go 30/60, but it's not unreasonable for him to go 15/50 with a strong forecheck.

Tavares doesn't have a bad side.
Touche

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Calgary picked up Jarnkrok off the expansion Seattle Karaken for their playoff drive at the TD, and he produced 0 goals and 4 assists in 17 regular season games and 1 goal and 3 assists in 12 playoff games.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Calgary picked up Jarnkrok off the expansion Seattle Karaken for their playoff drive at the TD, and he produced 0 goals and 4 assists in 17 regular season games and 1 goal and 3 assists in 12 playoff games.

A good lesson that often guys take longer to find chemistry with their current team..often better to have that top 9 forward from the start of camp than to hope a tdl acquisition manages to find their way in just a few weeks with a new team.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Here might be the key to Jarnkrok:

Over the course of his career in Nashville, Järnkrok went through different periods where he was a center more often and then a winger more often. He played center heavily during Nashville’s trip to the 2017 Stanley Cup Final, scoring two goals and five assists during that playoff run, before moving more to the wing in 2020 and 2021. Those two seasons were two of Järnkrok’s three best in Nashville offensively; he scored at a 45-point pace across those two shortened seasons, which lends some credence to the argument that Järnkrok is at his best offensively when he is not playing center.

Another piece of evidence for that may be this past season. After the Seattle Kraken claimed him from the Predators in the expansion draft (memorable for Marshawn Lynch’s refusal to pronounce Järnkrok’s name), they used Järnkrok more often as a winger, with Järnkrok taking five faceoffs per game on average. The offensive numbers were good — Järnkrok scored at a 44-point 82-game pace over his 49 contests with the Kraken. He was then dealt to Calgary at the deadline, and the Flames used him as a center (often with Blake Coleman on his wing), with the number of faceoffs Järnkrok took per game jumping to 12 on average.

So he isn't going to supplant Tavares, a center, and should be used where historically he is better at wing.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York

Here might be the key to Jarnkrok:

So he isn't going to supplant Tavares, a center, and should be used where historically he is better at wing.
I didn’t say that he should supplant Tavares. I was saying that he should play on JT’s wing and take the odd face off.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I didn’t say that he should supplant Tavares. I was saying that he should play on JT’s wing and take the odd face off.

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest you were.

I agree, he might be a fit with Jarnkrok-Tavares-Nylander.

He can play any forward position, and his cap hit would be a homerun on the 2nd. line.

I'd be okay if they went scramble mode on lines 2-3 as well.

On talent alone Tavares and Nylander can produce.

If they ended up with:
Galchenyuk Jarnkrok-Kerfoot-Nylander
It would be, do they produce, not do we like the players?

Tavares has produced with less than elite wingers in his past.

Reactions: banks

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest you were.

I agree, he might be a fit with Jarnkrok-Tavares-Nylander.

He can play any forward position, and his cap hit would be a homerun on the 2nd. line.

I'd be okay if they went scramble mode on lines 2-3 as well.

On talent alone Tavares and Nylander can produce.

If they ended up with:
Galchenyuk Jarnkrok-Kerfoot-Nylander
It would be, do they produce, not do we like the players?

Tavares has produced with less than elite wingers in his past.
Definitely to the bold print.

Additionally, if he can dig the puck out for the more offensively gifted players, it might be the secret sauce that that line has been looking for.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I suspect he'll be a better fit on the 3rd line than the 2nd - IMO Kerfoot is a better offensive player. Kerfoot is a very effective ES winger, who put up 51 points last year, and excellent advanced stats, people underrate him. Jarnkrok's career high is 35 points, and he doesn't have Kerfoot's speed, which is needed to offset Tavares' slowness IMO.

I'd personally like to see:

Bunting - Matthews - Nylander
Kerfoot - Tavares - Marner
Engvall - Kampf - Jarnkrok
TBD - Gaudette - Aube-Kube

TBD: depends on training camp, likely either Robertson or ZAR
13th forward: Simmonds

Although I think it's more likely we see Marner and Nylander switched (bad call IMO, Marner/Matthews are great together, but then the 2nd line sucks, Marner can cover for JT defensively while Willie can't).

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I suspect he'll be a better fit on the 3rd line than the 2nd - IMO Kerfoot is a better offensive player. Kerfoot is a very effective ES winger, who put up 51 points last year, and excellent advanced stats, people underrate him. Jarnkrok's career high is 35 points, and he doesn't have Kerfoot's speed, which is needed to offset Tavares' slowness IMO.

I'd personally like to see:

Bunting - Matthews - Nylander
Kerfoot - Tavares - Marner
Engvall - Kampf - Jarnkrok
TBD - Gaudette - Aube-Kube

TBD: depends on training camp, likely either Robertson or ZAR
13th forward: Simmonds

Although I think it's more likely we see Marner and Nylander switched (bad call IMO, Marner/Matthews are great together, but then the 2nd line sucks, Marner can cover for JT defensively while Willie can't).
In a way, you came full circle on why Jarnkrok could be a fit on the 2nd.

You don't want to split Matthews and Marner. Mitch is the defense and Bunting is the puck recovery guy.

Jarnkrok could be both of those things on the second. If Tavares and Nylander are both PPG and have Jarnkrok retrieving pucks and getting it to them, the points will come to him as well.

Also, to say that he's only scored 35 points isn't telling the entire story. He scored 35 in 69 games, 34 in 64 games, 28 in 49 games and was on pace for 50 points before getting dealt at the TDL.

I'm not saying that he'll magically be PPG, but 15-20 goals and 40-50 points isn't unreasonable for the 200 foot player in a top 6 role.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Ok. Why did you choose to omit the previous 49 games last season where he paced for 20 goals and 50 points? Exactly 90% of each stat was ES.

I realize that he was playing higher in the lineup because he played on a terrible team, but isn't that exactly what's proposed here?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Ok. Why did you choose to omit the previous 49 games last season where he paced for 20 goals and 50 points? Exactly 90% of each stat was ES.

I realize that he was playing higher in the lineup because he played on a terrible team, but isn't that exactly what's proposed here?

I was focusing on the TD and Calgary adding him thinking they were propping up a playoff run. The Flames thought they were getting the player you described when the Calgary Flames announced that they have acquired forward Calle Jarnkrok from the Seattle Kraken for a 2022 second-round pick (FLA), a 2023 third-round pick, and a 2024 seventh-round pick. He recorded 1 goal and 7 assists 8 points in 29 games reg & playoffs combined,

You already identified the reason for the higher output on an expansion team more ice time and opportunity and playing up the line-up. I suggest he was brought in shore up Leafs bottom 6 forwards much like he has played his entire career.

Not sure what value the pacing part has as he had never had more than 16 goals & 35 points in a season his entire career. Which is what I suppose Leafs are expecting 15 goals 30 point likely 3rd line C/W with Kampf and Engvall.

1663333265077.png

Last edited:

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I was focusing on the TD and Calgary adding him thinking they were propping up a playoff run. The Flames thought they were getting the player you described when the Calgary Flames announced that they have acquired forward Calle Jarnkrok from the Seattle Kraken for a 2022 second-round pick (FLA), a 2023 third-round pick, and a 2024 seventh-round pick. He recorded 1 goal and 7 assists 8 points in 29 games reg & playoffs combined,

You already identified the reason for the higher output on an expansion team more ice time and opportunity and playing up the line-up. I suggest he was brought in shore up Leafs bottom 6 forwards much like he has played his entire career.

Not sure what value the pacing part has as he had never had more than 16 goals & 35 points in a season his entire career. Which is what I suppose Leafs are expecting 15 goals 30 point likely 3rd line C/W with Kampf and Engvall.

View attachment 585079
Ok, I get that you were saying that he bombed after the TDL, but it's not indicative of his entire career.

The pace shows that although he is out of the lineup 20% on average, he does produce at a 15-20 goal and 40-50 point pace when in.

The fact that he produced when forced higher in the lineup COULD mean that he could produce at said pace in our top 6 with even more talented line mates. All the while possibly being the ingredient that JT and WN need on that line.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Ok, I get that you were saying that he bombed after the TDL, but it's not indicative of his entire career.

The pace shows that although he is out of the lineup 20% on average, he does produce at a 15-20 goal and 40-50 point pace when in.

The fact that he produced when forced higher in the lineup COULD mean that he could produce at said pace in our top 6 with even more talented line mates. All the while possibly being the ingredient that JT and WN need on that line.
In order to inflate his stats he would have to play top 6 and with JT and Willy,

That line does struggle defensively and Jarnkrok would provide more defensive stability, but I don't think that is the reason he was signed later in the UFA season.

I see him as bottom 6 defensive first player and PKer. You seem to see him as an offensive player and top 6 potential player.

However if Leafs sign Sandin and then deal Kerfoot to become cap compliant then the 2nd line LW spot opens up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad