Callahan (555K) and Nestrasil (550K) re-signed

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think if Callahan keeps developing and working hard, he could maybe become a Derek Dorsett-type player for us.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Both of these deals are 2 way contracts.

@wingingitmotown
BTW according to @capgeek's update, Nestrasil & Callahan deals are both two-way. Nestrasil's NHL salary would be $550K, Cally's is $5K more.

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Both of these deals are 2 way contracts.

Cally doesn't have to pass through waivers to go to GR.

@wingingitmotown
BTW according to @capgeek's update, Nestrasil & Callahan deals are both two-way. Nestrasil's NHL salary would be $550K, Cally's is $5K more.

Two way just concerns money, not waivers, I thought? Or is Cally exempt anyway?

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
I think Callahan's ceiling is what Abdelkader is now. And I don't think he ends up coming too close to that ceiling. Abby isn't a top line player but he's a very competent bottom sixer... and saying Cally has more heart is hard to confirm because that's one part of Abby's game that I have never doubted.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
You're right I'm pretty sure. I'm an idiot.

Not sure what the update was then?

If it were one way he'd be guaranteed the 555k whether he's in Detroit, GR, or another organization. Doesn't really mean much to anyone but him, I think.

GeoSacks

Sep 11, 2007
Southern Ontario.
If it were one way he'd be guaranteed the 555k whether he's in Detroit, GR, or another organization. Doesn't really mean much to anyone but him, I think.

I don't totally understand the new CBA but I think it affects their cap hit when playing in the AHL as well.

If they had larger contracts (I think around $850,000+) they would still have a cap hit after being waived on a one-way but not a two-way.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

a one way deal could dissuade teams from gambling on them in waivers. Picking a guy up and maybe burying him in your AHL roster is a lot easier if you're paying a lot less to do it. I think the 2way deals speak a bit to how unlikely Detroit sees the possibility of either guy being claimed.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
a one way deal could dissuade teams from gambling on them in waivers. Picking a guy up and maybe burying him in your AHL roster is a lot easier if you're paying a lot less to do it. I think the 2way deals speak a bit to how unlikely Detroit sees the possibility of either guy being claimed.

I don't think you can do that. Would be pretty unfair to just claim another team's player only to stash him in your farm system. If you claim someone pretty sure they have to go onto your NHL roster. Unlikely anyone would have a roster spot for Callahan. There will probably be better, higher upside, more accomplished players that get waived.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't think you can do that. Would be pretty unfair to just claim another team's player only to stash him in your farm system. If you claim someone pretty sure they have to go onto your NHL roster.

I'm not sure, but if I remember right, when Detroit waives Callahan and somebody will pick him up and if that team waives him again, Detroit has the first priority to claim him back. Then he could be send to Griffins.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not sure, but if I remember right, when Detroit waives Callahan and somebody will pick him up and if that team waives him again, Detroit has the first priority to claim him back. Then he could be send to Griffins.

We get first crack, but if we just waived the guy, I doubt we'd grab him back at that point. I think waiver guys are looked at as a crapshoot, and teams don't want to risk getting stuck with paying a guy an NHL salary to play in the minors. If they can grab a guy, take a look, and at worst be stuck with a $60k salary in the minors, that's easier to stomach and makes the risk more worthwhile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad