Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (The Second One)

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
How dare they besmirch MW2’s name by naming their modern gaming sequel after one of the best FPS games ever

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Would love to play this but unfortunately i hated the SBMM in MW2019 so much, I'll never play a game with that system again. (the way it was implemented, not actually sbmm as I know most games have it)

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Every game is on the SBMM train. Halo has it too.

The only place where SBMM makes sense is in games where it has a ludicrously high skill gap (rocket League, baseball) in ranked/casual play.

COD has, and never will have a high skill ceiling. Doubly so with the map/sound design in the first MW catering to cowards.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Every game is on the SBMM train. Halo has it too.

The only place where SBMM makes sense is in games where it has a ludicrously high skill gap (rocket League, baseball) in ranked/casual play.

COD has, and never will have a high skill ceiling. Doubly so with the map/sound design in the first MW catering to cowards.
I didn't like how I could predict how my next match would go. If I did good one match, I would do horribly the next and vice versa. It was too predictable for my liking. Also, not being able to stay in a lobby completely kills the fun for me which I think is contributed to the sbmm maybe?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I didn't like how I could predict how my next match would go. If I did good one match, I would do horribly the next and vice versa. It was too predictable for my liking. Also, not being able to stay in a lobby completely kills the fun for me which I think is contributed to the sbmm maybe?
That is why I've stopped playing. They have neutered any competitive part of the game. Get into a lobby with another group and have some fun shit talking banter? Sorry, you only get to play one game with them.

It is so stupid.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I never noticed the SBMM, my main problem with the game is how slow it is. In team deathmatch most of the games go to the time limit because nobody will move. Also the maps suck and not being able to see enemies shooting on the radar along with the mounting and doors were terrible additions.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Also, not being able to stay in a lobby completely kills the fun for me which I think is contributed to the sbmm maybe?
Yes, breaking up lobbies does have to do with heavy-handed SBMM but if the game also has a "quick play" option - or some kind of filtered list like the recent CODs have had - SBMM can't do it's thing since everyone in the lobby has different filters when it comes time to put you in the next match. So the lobby has to disband anyway. This also causes problems with map voting, sadly. So they just remove that feature all together.

One of the reasons I stopped playing VG was map selection. It was the same five or six maps constantly. I see with a recent patch they "fixed" it by removing a pacing option. I mean, seven months after launch when the game is on it's last legs anyway LOL. But goddamn we MUST have that SBMM in there and dialed up to 11!@!@!@!@

I think MWII or whatever might be good. I think they got a wakeup call with VG, and to a certain degree with MW2019 despite it being a huge seller. And with the next game not coming out until 2024, they are going to want to make sure they come out firing with MWII and WZ2 to ensure some staying power.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
As much as people want to believe that, sales say otherwise. Even Vanguard, which “underperformed”, sold a ridiculous amount. I guarantee this one does too.
Mountain Dew and Redbull have a lot of sales too. Lowest common denominator products like this aren't representative of quality. People buy COD every year because of brand recognition and the good will built from games made over 10 years ago

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Mountain Dew and Redbull have a lot of sales too. Lowest common denominator products like this aren't representative of quality. People buy COD every year because of brand recognition and the good will built from games made over 10 years ago
I’m not saying they’re good games. Saying that COD is dying is absurd, though, when you look at how many people play it.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
What are YOY sales for each franchise? Are they increasing or decreasing?
I don’t know that answer but the 2019 Modern Warfare is the highest selling Call of Duty game ever made. Modern Warfare 2 will absolutely be a hit.

This is just for April of 2022. Both Vanguard AND Cold War made the top 13 in sales that month. Cold War is what, 18 months old now?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I don’t know that answer but the 2019 Modern Warfare is the highest selling Call of Duty game ever made. Modern Warfare 2 will absolutely be a hit.

This is just for April of 2022. Both Vanguard AND Cold War made the top 13 in sales that month. Cold War is what, 18 months old now?

No one is arguing it is still a big seller. Again, are they trending up or down? If I remember correctly, the most recent COD had the lowest launch day sales in a long time. I may be misremembering but I feel like I remember reading that shortly after launch.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Vanguard definitely had lower sales. Cold War was the 20th best selling game in US history as of February of 2021, and it still (somehow) selling. It’s always going to be in cycles, though. No one asked for a WW2 game, so it selling less isn’t a huge surprise. Anything with Modern Warfare or Black Ops attached to it seems to sell like hot cakes.

I can’t find an exact list with sales figures comparing all the games that is up to date.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad