Olympics: calgary's big 3 d omitted...

LostMyGlasses*

The Defense has ALWAYS been overrated and have never had great scoring depth.

Even when they went to the SCF?

Gotta love the people that come in hear and rant bitterly about certain Flames players.

The Flames have 4 very good defencemen. Better than most teams. Additionally, many are home town boys- another bonus for many people.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I had Bouwmeester on my team. He was the only one who didn't make it. (I didn't have Doughty). Bouwmeester's speed, size and smarts would be great to have, because you can play him against anyone. If there's an injury, I would guess that Bouwmeester would probably be first on the injury replacement list, unless the injury is to Boyle, in which case I would expect Mike Green to get the call.

Regehr's still an imposing guy. But I wonder if his days with Canada in a best-on-best are behind him.

I think Phaneuf was caught in an either-or proposition with Shea Weber. In the end, Weber excels in the same ways as Phaneuf, while providing a steadier, more reliable presence. In a short tournament, where one mistake can make a world of difference, I want the more reliable guy.

Are Bouwmeester and Phaneuf better than Brent Seabrooke? Absolutely. But in a short tournament, if I can select the best defensive pairing on the planet for my team, I'm absolutely going to do it. And that's why Seabrooke had to be on this team, to play alongside Duncan Keith.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I wonder if flames fans would be so adamant about Bouwmeester making the team if he was still on the Panthers.

That entire team is overrated. If people said, "yeah, they have great goaltending most nights, are tough to play against, work hard, and have a superstar in Iginla" I could agree, yet people seem to put them on a pedestal and they don't deserve to be there. The Defense has ALWAYS been overrated and have never had great scoring depth.

To be fair, I hate Edmonton as much, and Vancouver just a little less. I just don't get the hype for these teams.

Calgary has the talent to go far, and can arguably be the best Canadian team. Thats why there is the hype, but yet they continually underachieve when it matters. It's perplexing.

Anywho, I would of liked to see Jay Bo make it, but I'm glad Doughty made it.

VladNYC*

Meanwhile Pronger gets undressed into his skippies every night. Any one see Evander Kane get by him with relative ease tonight?

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Meanwhile Pronger gets undressed into his skippies every night. Any one see Evander Kane get by him with relative ease tonight?

LOL...

Have you seen Sergei Gonchar play lately? Michalek turns him inside-out-inside, and then Markov today against Fisher. :laugh:

Pronger >>>> Gonchar defensively....

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
LOL...

Have you seen Sergei Gonchar play lately? Michalek turns him inside-out-inside, and then Markov today against Fisher. :laugh:

Pronger >>>> Gonchar defensively....

D men get beat every once in awhile it's not a big deal
for example Ovechkin completely undressed Niedermayer the other night but Niedermayer's still one of the best in the league d men get beat **** happens

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
D men get beat every once in awhile it's not a big deal
for example Ovechkin completely undressed Niedermayer the other night but Niedermayer's still one of the best in the league d men get beat **** happens

Exactly. That's kind of my point.

When Siberian and VladNYC started pointing out the Ovechkin and Kane plays, I responded with counter examples.

I completely understand that even best of them can get undressed like Chara got by Whitney. It happens...

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Team Canada is stacked but in what Universe do you decide that Dion Phaneuf is not good enough to make your team? He's the player every NHL team would dream to have. I would bet you if you would ask every NHL GMs wich player they would rather have between Pronger, Niedermayer, Keith, Seabrook, Doughty, Boyle, Weber and Phaneuf and they would pick Phaneuf. Especially with SN and Pronger not being the way they used to be, given their age. Just for fun have all the 30 teams' GM select their first pick amongst these 8 players and Phaneuf would get on top by a wide margin.

Don't get me wrong I know DP has always been overrated but let's get real here, he's too talented to be left out in my opinion.

On that list

Doughty
Weber
Keith
Boyle
Seabrook
Phaneuf <---- He's only higher than Pronger and Nieder because hes so much younger

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
On that list

Doughty
Weber
Keith
Boyle
Seabrook
Phaneuf <---- He's only higher than Pronger and Nieder because hes so much younger

Completely agree, Phaneuf wouldn't be above any of those guys if a GM was picking, also Myers, Green, Bogo and EJ would probably be above him to

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Having watched Bouwmeester in action of late, I am regretting the choice of not having him on Team Canada. Regehr no thanks, Phaneuf is talented but just too unpredictable in my eyes.

Bouwmeester however belongs on this team. Who would I leave off the team to make room?

Scott Niedermeyer...he just isnt the same anymore. After that, its probably Drew Doughty, though I am a fan of both.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Completely agree, Phaneuf wouldn't be above any of those guys if a GM was picking, also Myers, Green, Bogo and EJ would probably be above him to

Erik Johnson and Bogosian are American. I also doubt they'd throw Myers, a rookie, on the Olympic team! Green and Bouwmeester would definately be considered above Phaneuf though.

Reasoned Opinion

May 21, 2009
Logic Land
I thought I'd go through each one of your fantasy points:
> Flames have lost to you only once this season. We've won twice.
> Flames are 3rd in the West in GA.
> I don't think a two week window would have determined this. What's going to happen when once of those selected to the team slumps in a similar fashion in January.

Go back and play with your lego.

You are right. One of the teams did slump badly in January. You are a fortune teller! :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad