Value of: Calgary Trading Up at the Draft

Kielbasa

Mar 28, 2023
Calgary is in dire need of Centre prospects, and is completely devoid of ones with elite potential. As of now they'd sit 9th in the draft, would it make sense to move up to draft a Catton or Lindstrom? What is the likelyhood of Calgary getting either without trading up?

I imagine it would cost around a 2nd if they were moving up only a couple of spots.

Ledge And Dairy

Outside of Celebrini none of the center prospects in this draft are worth the cost to trade up for. If one of Catton or Lindstrom falls to use we take them, otherwise we just draft Iginla.

Next year we are very likely a bottom 10 team, especially if Markstrom gets moved this summer. There are also a lot more high end center prospects in the 2025 draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: viper0220

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Outside of Celebrini none of the center prospects in this draft are worth the cost to trade up for. If one of Catton or Lindstrom falls to use we take them, otherwise we just draft Iginla.

Next year we are very likely a bottom 10 team, especially if Markstrom gets moved this summer. There are also a lot more high end center prospects in the 2025 draft.
i wonder how much nostalgia is included here.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Keep the picks, make the selections and develop the prospects.

Edmonton made the serious mistake of grabbing a pile of picks in their early stages of their forever rebuild and then pissed them away in stupid trades that only prolonged the agony. Conroy has hopefully learned from their mistake.

Reactions: Son of Petter

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Calgary is in dire need of Centre prospects, and is completely devoid of ones with elite potential. As of now they'd sit 9th in the draft, would it make sense to move up to draft a Catton or Lindstrom? What is the likelyhood of Calgary getting either without trading up?

I imagine it would cost around a 2nd if they were moving up only a couple of spots.
If all it cost was a 2nd you’d see more trades. To move up from say 9 to 5 will cost you a lot more.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
As it stands right now - the Hawks are 2nd from the bottom behind San Jose so the worst they can draft is 4th. There's no way I would trade the 4th pick for the 9th/10th/11th pick for "only" a 2nd round pick - especially because the Hawks already have (3) 2nd round picks. If anything they will use one or two of those second rounders to move up from the Tampa pick the Hawks have which will probably be in the 18-22 range.

I don't know how your prospect cupboard looks but you might be better off leveraging a prospect to move up from 9.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa

FYI Ottawas previous regime was hell bent on drafting the sons of NHLers so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't learn from the Boucher mistake.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The issue with trading up is less the cost than the opportunity to do so - if a team picking higher doesn't particularly like whoever is left over, they might well trade down for only a 2nd rounder.... but you can't count on them doing so until you're on the draft floor and they see who is available.

ie, the team trading down is the one in control, and I've never heard of a team unsure of trading down by being talked into it by a bigger offer.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Bruins had 13, 14 and 15 and 3 2nds in 2015 and were not able to move up. It’s expensive to move to into “pretty sure bet” territory in the draft.
Few GMs are willing to lower their chance of getting a high-end player at the top of the draft.

Montreal reportedly turned down a package from Nashville for #5 last year - I got the impression it was #15, #24 and Askarov.

Trading up a couple of spots costs a 2nd when it's later in the round, but you won't go from 9 to 6 for just a 2nd. Going from 27 to 22 in 2010 cost Montreal #57.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Flames are 3-7 in last 10 games if they keep it up they might drop to the 10th overall. I could see Penguins end up with more points and possibly Senators but they are 7 points behind. Let's say two teams behind Flames end up with more points that puts Flames at 9th overall. Their chance of lottery ball be higher chance to move up or stay same. If they draft at 9-11 range they could have chance at Iginla which be a good target player for C. If they gave up a 2nd or 3rd(or prospect) to guarantee Iginla I would do it. That's their target player in my opinion with their 1st pick.

Last edited:

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Lindstrom will be gone before CGY picks.
Montreal is not trading down.
Well.... we can never know what management thinks of various prospects, but positionally Montreal and Calgary are likely both looking for forwards so it makes Montreal trading down to Calgary less likely. But for all we know, Habs management doesn't think much of certain forward prospects that Calgary might be drooling over, so anything is possible.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I’ve thought about trading down if levshunov and Dickinson are off the board for us…. But I’d prob want your 1st + highest of your other 1st rounders, with us throwing something else in the deal…. Other than that it wouldn’t be worth it

But you’d be bidding against teams that think lindstrom has 1c upside or demidov is top 2 on their draft board

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
At the risk of sounding like a broken record from a similar thread about Minnesota trading up, it's contingent on a team wanting to trade down.

Thanks to the NFL Draft, I think there's a misconception that if a team offers enough on a draft pick value chart that the other team would definitely trade down. In many cases, a team would rather just stay put and not risk missing out on their guy since the expected value of a garden variety 2nd rounder isn't as high as most of us like to think. NHL teams will typically trade down if they can land they guy they would have taken at their original spot.

The other factor is most of the teams picking in the top 10 probably picked up some extra 2nds/3rds at the trade deadline. And then with regards to the 2024 draft class, there's apparently a depth drop at around #20 so a high 2nd rounder might be even less appealing.

Some post-lockout examples:

2005: San Jose offered #12, #35, and another later pick to Columbus for #6 but were turned down. Sharks then completed a deal to send #12, #49, #207 to Atlanta for #8.

2006: Boston offered #5 and #37 to Washington for #4, but the Caps declined after Boston indicated that they would be taking Nicklas Backstrom.

2007: St. Louis offered #9 and #24 to Edmonton for #6; Blues wanted Jakub Voracek. But since there was a perceived tier drop after #7, Edmonton declined. St. Louis' next target after Voracek was Lars Eller who they thought would be available a few picks later. St. Louis pivoted and traded #9 to San Jose for #13, #44, and #87.

2008: Islanders traded #5 to Toronto for #7, #68, and a future 2nd. Then they traded #7 to Nashville for #9 and #40. As I remember it, Garth Snow inherited a barren farm system, so he was happy to acquire more picks.

2009: Ottawa approached Toronto about moving from #9 to #7 but they didn't get to make an offer once they said they were targeting Nazem Kadri.

2012: Garth Snow infamously channeled his inner Mike Ditka and allegedly offered all of the Islanders picks to move up from #4 to #2. Columbus declined.

2013: I think Buffalo was trying to move up from #16 to get Max Domi but were unable to find a trade partner.

2015: Toronto put out an offer (contingent on "their guy" not being available) to send #4 to Columbus for #8, #34, #38, and #58. Columbus thought the ask was too much; They had a slight preference of Noah Hanifin over Zach Werenski. They'd link up later and Toronto traded #29 to Columbus for #34 and #68.

New Jersey offered #6 to Columbus for #8, #34, and #129. Columbus declined and figured there was a good chance that Werenski would last two picks. Columbus apparently got stonewalled after asking Carolina about #5.

2017: Vegas wanted to make a splash at its first draft and walk out with Nolan Patrick at #1. New Jersey was apparently willing to trade back to #3 since at least one of Nico Hischier or Cale Makar would still be there. But Dallas was unwilling to trade back from #3 to #6. Dallas reportedly also turned down an offer from the Rangers (#7 and #21) for #3.

2019: Arizona traded #14 and #45 to Philadelphia for #11. Arizona had Victor Soderstrom in their top 5.

2021: I couldn't find any exact offers, but the Sharks pinged a couple teams about moving up for William Eklund and were ecstatic when they got him at #7. They had him #2 on their draft board.

Last edited:

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
As long as Calgary picks in the 8-12 range they should be walking away with a very good prospect. No need to move up and spend assets.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Probably the most realistic trade would be Calgary’s 1st and Vancouvers 1st to move up 3-4 spots and for the other teams 2nd this year. Calgary moves their early pick up 3-4 spots, the other team moves up from the second to the first or an additional 10-15 spots pending the team/Vancouver. Calgary maybe adds a different teams 2nd or 3rd as well pending how many spots they want to move. So basically:

Calgary Receives
6th overall
2nd round pick (38th)

Team Receives
9th overall
1st round pick (~26th)

Reactions: Shark Finn

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

A 2nd not going to move you much. How high you want to go?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad