Proposal: Calgary - Ottawa (not reuniting the Tkachuks)

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Lucic has more points than Dadonov this season and more points than Watson has ever scored in a single season. Watsons most physical season would be Lucic's 10th most physical season.

I'd argue that Dadonov has been bad... certainly one of our bottom 3 regular forwards... but agreed he can bounce back.

Why does Ottawa do it? Because we save almost 2m per season, get a guy who has won, has tons of playoff experience + playoff impact, who stands up for his teammates (I'd rather have that type of guy in the bottom 6 than on D), and, imo, get a guy who fits in better - especially on the bottom 6.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Pinto - Brown
Formenton - Paul - White
Lucic - Tierney - Watson

vs

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - White - Dadonov
Formenton - Pinto - Brown
Paul - Tierney - Watson

IMO, I'd rather the combination where Paul & Pinto are in the top 9 vs the one where one of them isn't. Not saying "I'm right, you're wrong", but I think there is some merit to the idea.

Very good point here that a player like Lucic is more efficiently used on the bottom six as opposed to having a player on defence that plays the same role, never thought about that.

If trading Lucic for Dadonov means I don’t have to watch Josh Brown play anymore I’m all for it.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Can I ask why? I think that Dadonov can rebound, but he just doesn't fit in well with our style of play. Add in the fact that he's owed $4m more than Lucic and I feel like this suits our needs really well. Lucic would look good on the other side of Austin Watson + PP2.... I just don't see where Dadonov really fits for us. I actually think Calgary takes a lot more risk on this (although with that comes possible higher reward).

6 million AAV for a 4th liner, yikes.

Reactions: TheNewEra

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
No way I'm trading Dadonov for Lucic. Paul - White - Dadonov has been one of our best lines all season. If we need the money savings, see if Seattle selects him or buy him out. Personally, I'm keeping him.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
If I'm Calgary I say yes right away and buyout Dadonov before he even gets on the plane and then send Eugene a thank you card for getting them out of Lucic's contract. For reference

Lucic buyout is 3.6m 2022, 4.9m 2023, 510k 24-25.
Dadonov buyout is 1.9m 2022, 417k 2023, 1.9m 24-25. Much more manageable..

Doesn't help the Flames.

Lucic is quite effective on our team. On pace for 33 points from the bottom six, despite the team having many many issues. He leads the team in physical play. If Calgary has 1.9 million in dead cap from a buyout, there's no advantage to Calgary. We'd just be looking for another Lucic type player, that would probably cost us more than 3.35 million/year.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
1.8m less than Dadonov for a guy who is playing about as much at ES and scoring just as much too.

Unless you are concerned about how much CGY & EDM paid him...

Dadanov AAV is 5.

Lucic, couldn't keep up with the team. Its just a bad trade.
You don't trade for a 5.25 million guy and put him on the 4th line.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Dadanov AAV is 5.

Lucic, couldn't keep up with the team. Its just a bad trade.
You don't trade for a 5.25 million guy and put him on the 4th line.

Sens have no concern with AAV. Real dollars is 11.5 for Dadonov vs 7.8ish for Lucic. Do you think Ottawa would have added Gudbranson and Stepan if caphit was a concern? It legitimately shouldn't be considered for the next 2 years. We're not gonna approach the ceiling... all that matters is actual dollars.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Calgary has enough smaller waterbug types tbh, although Dadonov's speed would be welcome. Gaudreau, Mangiapane, Dube, and several of our top prospects Pelletier, Phillips, Zavgorodny, and Pettersen are all kind of in the same skilled smaller winger mold.

Lucic has been pretty damn good for the Flames, really not in any urgent rush to get rid of him.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Bad deal, Lucic will be 33 in just over a month, and then add on 2 years after that, no thanks.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
No interest in trading Dadanov already, I'd rather give him another year before making a trading attempt.

It would also send a bad sign to future FA's to trade them so quickly.

Reactions: TheNewEra

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
No interest in trading Dadanov already, I'd rather give him another year before making a trading attempt.

This is my biggest concern, this is the first time in a while where the sens signed a semi decent FA

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

I think this is a very fair point, but I also think Dadonov might welcome the move. He's a very capable player but he's fallen behind C. Brown and Batherson on our right side and a fresh start, especially on a team that looks to be retooling, might be a good opportunity for him.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
No big names here.

EDIT: this deal is contingent on the expansion draft being completed and both players remaining with their current team.

To Calgary:
Evgeny Dadonov (2yrs @5m; 11.5m salary)

To Ottawa:
Milan Lucic (2yrs @5.25m; 7.875m salary)

Calgary shuffles the bodies around and gets a guy who might be able to work some magic with their more skilled players; helps allow Lindholm to stay at C.

Ottawa saves money and gets a guy with a history of winning + who fits better with the team identity, especially on the lower lines, while giving Dadonov a fresh start.

Who says no?

Milan Lucic (NMC)

Reactions: treple13

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Yeah sure if Calgary tosses in their first round pick consider dads bags packed

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Fun fact Lucic has outproduced Dadonov this year, and has done it while not being a one dimensional player.

Dado plays a decent all around game I don't think he is as one dimensional as you make it sound.
This trade does nothing to move the needle for either team. The Sens need a guy who can score goals a heck of a lot more than they need grit so I don't see any upside in this deal.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Give Dadonov another year then see where it goes.

If his play doesnt improve, one year buyout shouldn't be too painful or LTIR him.

Not close to the point I'd be willing to trade him for Lucic(even without an NMC).

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Dado plays a decent all around game I don't think he is as one dimensional as you make it sound.
This trade does nothing to move the needle for either team. The Sens need a guy who can score goals a heck of a lot more than they need grit so I don't see any upside in this deal.
I mean I think if Melnyk saw an opportunity to save $4 mil in actual $$$ while getting a similarly productive player it would be enticing. Not saying it’s a no brainer but I see the upside from management perspective for sure, especially if Dadanov has been pushed down the depth chart as he has behind Brown and Batherson

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I mean I think if Melnyk saw an opportunity to save $4 mil in actual $$$ while getting a similarly productive player it would be enticing. Not saying it’s a no brainer but I see the upside from management perspective for sure, especially if Dadanov has been pushed down the depth chart as he has behind Brown and Batherson

If you put looch on a line that can't score his assists vanish and they would not get the same production out of him.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Sens say no.

Dadonov hasn't looked that bad. I think he'll rebound next season.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I know it’s contrary to popular belief, but Flames fans have been quite happy with Lucic and want him to stick around. We’re happy with what he’s done. He is not a liability on most nights. His value is not negative like many say he is.

A) If Calgary offered to trade Lucic for future considerations this summer would any team take up the offer?

B) If any other team did offer to take Lucic for free, would Calgary say No?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad