Calgary is winning the battle of Alberta

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
The only reason I can see this being a rational thread is that even after all the high picks Edmonton has had, Calgary is better, but that's been beaten to death already and both teams have done nothing in over a decade.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
Tkatchuk gets stuff like that done to him because hes a ******* that initiates all the time, nobody feels sorry for him when it happens because he has a lot coming his way. Yes he is a coward and and turtle because people have eyes and they can physically observe the things that are happening when they use them. Amazing huh?

If you do stuff like this and aren't prepared to answer the bell then you are a coward. Draisaitl would gladly fight Tkatchuk and would destroy him, he will not drop the gloves anyways. If you are going to be scum at least do the respectful thing and drop the gloves and defend yourself like a man. So if you are complaining about Leon being dirty, Tkatchuk should just fight him fair and square to teach him a lesson.
Tkachuk tried to fight him, he wouldn't engage.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
Sure. Almost as tough as Tkachuk the third man in vs... McDavid? Take a long hike my man, we aren't going to agree on this.
it was hardly a third man in. No one was fighting. Mcdavid had Backs in a chokehold from behind. Tkachuk came in with a shoulder and tackled McDavid low. He didn't hit him high. That is not third man in. Fly a kite, as you would say. Chucky didn't pile on him afterwards (at least not immediately). He removed McDavid from Backs and then the scrum ensued. Where was Drai to stop Chucky's dirty antics? Right....he was running away so he wouldn't have to fight him.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Playoff wins in the current decade .

Oilers 7
Flames 5

Its pretty mind boggling that any team could have fewer playoff victories than the worst team of the decade but Calgary managed it.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
We may be the worst, but at least we're not the worstest.

240_F_121332437_VUtrMt5Bc6xc5AlBAxt1u1YLLdjrQLWl.jpg

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
My 2 points were not to be taken together smartguy. The first point was that the Oilers would be really bad without McDavid.

The second point was based entirely around Chiarelli already having selected McDavid and NOT trading away Hall, Eberle and 15th pick and selecting Tkachuk instead of Puljujarvi. Thought that was obvious when I stated they would be a perennial Stanley Cup contender as McDavid would be imperative for that to happen.

How’s that crystal ball work for you? Not sure if you recall the draft where Pulju “fell” he was as slam dunk as it is at 4 there, the only reason they didn’t trade down to take sergachev. Trading the 16th pick that year looks bad, because that was Barzal, but again that nice crystal ball of yours would have come in handy for 14 other teams at least to get there hands on him there, that drafted pick could have easily been a bust as well we don’t know who they would have picked.

I’m no chia defender, one of his faults is the Hall trade no doubt, but the year after when they had 103 point season most posters were calling him GM of the year

His greatest inability to me is the constant management idea of not addressing faults, last offseason we needed depth and offensive dmen, rather then even attempting to correct this he just said, whatever they should be better

Yes the past is the past but at least try to address the issues. At this point there headed for a cleanout this offseason anyways

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome

Oilers 7
Flames 5

Its pretty mind boggling that any team could have fewer playoff victories than the worst team of the decade but Calgary managed it.

Congratulations. You have won 2 more games thus being the better team in the past decade.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

Oilers 7
Flames 5

Top 5 picks in the current decade

Oilers 6
Flames 1

It's pretty mind boggling that any team could be so blessed with draft opportunity(4 first overalls) and still have a roster so devoid of talent but Edmonton managed it.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Top 5 picks in the current decade

Oilers 6
Flames 1

It's pretty mind boggling that any team could be so blessed with draft opportunity(4 first overalls) and still have a roster so devoid of talent but Edmonton managed it.

And yet still do better in the playoffs.

It's crazy I know.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

snag

Feb 22, 2014
This thread is like some sociopath (the OP) throwing a couple of starving feral tom cats in a small cage with a piece of meat and sitting back to watch them rip each other to shreds over it.
source.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I would take the Oilers, a player of McDavids caliber has never not won a Stanley cup before. I don’t know how long it will take but I do think it will eventually happen. Same reason I wasn’t worried about the Caps and Ovi. It’s not a guaranteed win or anything (Oilers are trying their hardest to ruin him) but I do think there will be a year where everything clicks for the Oilers, they almost had a third round playoff birth already. When a guys putting up 110 points a year the rest of the team needs to be really really bad to not make the playoffs. The Oilers are bad right now but won’t be forever.

Jumbo Joe.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary

Oilers 7
Flames 5

You've accumulated tons of tip end talent and have nothing to show for it.

Will probabaly miss playoffs again this year with no end in sight.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
This thread is like some sociopath (the OP) throwing a couple of starving feral tom cats in a small cage with a piece of meat and sitting back to watch them rip each other to shreds over it.
source.gif

Whatever the metaphor is... too much of both fan bases took that bait hook, line and sinker.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
McDavid’s on another level no doubt about it. If he stays healthy he probably has 3 Art Ross trophies at the end of his fourth year.

But more importantly how many team awards? This is a team game isn't it?

Having the best player matters squat when the rest of the team is so bad they would have problems competing for AHL slots.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
giphy.gif

That's cute

What's cute is thinking McDavid is to date a better caliber player than the guy who sits at 16th overall in points and 11th in assists in the history of the NHL while playing in a lower scoring area through his prime. Who gift-wrapped a Richard trophy to Jonathan Cheechoo. I doubt we see McDavid make an ordinary NHLer putt 56 goals.

What's funny is that I personally believe that McDavid is the best player in the world atm. And that he's on pace to pass Thornton. But little smug reaction pics or not, McDavid hasn't done it yet. Not that he never will, it's in fact a really good bet to take. But it's impossible to know what the future holds and so it's a bit dishonest for you to pretend otherwise. He breaks his spine in a freak accident in a year or two and, no, he wouldnt be on a tier better than one of the best playmakers in hockey history. What's also funny is that people agree to use pace to annoint McDavid as superior to Thornton, and at the same time there's a poster saying he's gonna get another Ross this year while he's actually not on pace to do so... and that's perfectly sound logic in your mind.

To illustrate my point : Right now, McDavid has as many Art Rosses and Harts as Martin St-Louis while being cupless. If his career was to end today, he couldnt be ranked over St-Louis, because you cant project and value something that hasnt happened (career numbers and playoff scoring).

Hope you get my point (a simple opinion that I never pretended was word of law) and adopt a better, more constructive attitude regarding debate on these forums instead of jumping to conclusions and delivering one-liners like you're an angsty teen on 4chan. Sorry to be harsh but that's the kind of exchanges that make these boards toxic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad