GDT: Calgary Flames @ Winnipeg Airplanes 6:00 PM MT

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Actually his remaining daily cap hit is only 2.81 Million, sending a player down from the current roster for him would actually fit him in under the cap currently, but if anymore gymnastics are required, using LTIR on Kylington gives us room to spare for him. If he plays as well as he did in Detroit, very easy to move someone in the off-season to make room. If he doesn’t, very easy to move him to a young team as a reclamation project. Would be a win-win really.

Business aside though, I hope we (and the rest of the league) don’t put a claim on him. The guy just got out of the player assistance program. Having to uproot his life and whatever family he has could be devastating on the work he’s put in. Sounds like Detroit just wants him to play in the AHL to get his game back up to speed, awful that he’s likely switching teams because of that.
Honeslty I see that perspective but I’ve also heard rumors that he wants a fresh start (which may or may not be true). If what you’re saying is correct and he only wants to remain in Detroit then I probably agree with you, but if he needs a new chapter I think we would actually be a great fit. We have a few Czech players around his age (Vladar, Zohorna) as well as an excellent leadership group of savvy vets who have been around the block (Looch, Kadri, Tanev, Toffoli, Coleman, Backs, etc). Not that Detroit necessarily has a bad leadership group, but they’re a much younger team and don’t have nearly the veteran leadership we do. It just comes down to his preference, but like you said if uprooting his life would make his situation exponentially worse then we can’t do it.

To me this screams low risk, insanely high reward for both the team and the player’s health (as long as there isn’t more to the story we don’t know, which is definitely possible).

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
We do tho. Kylington and Ritchie to LTIR and we have space with his pro-rated contract remaining.

Next year gets tricky but it would be a good problem to have. Cross that bridge when we get there
Actually they don't have the cap space - it's called tagging

Because Vrana is signed for next season in which the Flames have essentially already spent to the ceiling, they don't have the room to make a claim.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Sutter post game: Someone needs to step up and make a play
Also Sutter: gives 12 mins to Lucic and 14 to Huberdeau, 15 to Coleman, 10 to Ruzicka.

Reactions: super6646

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
If Sutter is only going to play Huberdeau 14 mins a night you might as well try and shop him

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Actually they don't have the cap space - it's called tagging

Because Vrana is signed for next season in which the Flames have essentially already spent to the ceiling, they don't have the room to make a claim.
Not anymore - Under the July 2020 amendment to the CBA the 10% buffer to exceed the cap for purposes of the tagging rule was extended for the full season, so the issue holding up the Silfverberg contract would not have been an issue today. We can exceed the future cap by 10% as of 2020, which is why Tampa was able to do what they did and why we could avoid the tagging rule even if our payroll for next was ~2.5 over the cap after claiming Vrana.

See Section 61 of the MOU here:

• “Projected Off-Season Cap Accounting” (as currently applied per Article 50.5(d)(i)(A)) for the period of the first day of the NHL Regular Season through and including June 30, provided, however, that during this period the calculations under Article 50.5(d)(i)(A) will be based on the Averaged Amounts relevant for the following League Year and may not exceed the Club’s current Upper Limit plus ten (10) percent. Any such Averaged Amounts that are attributable at a rate reflective of a Player’s time on NHL roster (e.g. Two-Way SPCs and Two-Way Qualifying Offers) will be based on the Player’s currently projected time on NHL roster for the current League Year as reflected within the In-Season Cap Accounting.
• Effective with the 2020/21 League Year, this “Projected Off-Season Cap Accounting” rule shall replace the “Tagging Rule” in the current CBA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ace Rimmer

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Sutter post game: Someone needs to step up and make a play
Also Sutter: gives 12 mins to Lucic and 14 to Huberdeau, 15 to Coleman, 10 to Ruzicka.

Self-inflicted wounds. Fans will make excuses, but sutter has made his bed.

If Sutter is only going to play Huberdeau 14 mins a night you might as well try and shop him
While I completely agree that it is ridiculous to see Hubes playing that little, I still believe we are one missing top-6 forward away from filling out the roster and getting Lucic back down to the 4th, and when we get that upgrade at the deadline we can play the 1st line more like we did last year (but still 17-18 mins like last year). It’s also not like Hubes deserves to be playing 20+ mins rn when our middle-6 is extremely strong.

Still bad usage by Darryl, but it’s early in the season and Hubes hasn’t fully gotten going yet. There’s time and we gotta have him firing down the stretch when he better play more or Darryl really has no excuse.

Last edited:

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
We had decent edge in play. Fourteen losses, ten wins in one goal games. That should tell Darryl something.

To me Sutter’s system is working but the staff needs to accept that a minor switch in personnel is needed. If don’t want Phillips then try Pelletier, Zary, Schwindt, etc. Need a boost in skill/speed.

His system is not working right now and its not surprising. Kadri unsurprisingly reverted back to his .7 ppg 2nd line center form and Huberdeau hasn't figured it out OR has decided that Sutter hockey does not work for him.

to correct the staff you refer to is just Sutter. His coaching staff work with the players and style of players he gives them.
He takes input from his coaching staff but he is the one that needs to understand your point and he just won't

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Sutter talking about a lack of production and players stepping up is hilarious when he's willingly making these decisions

- Lucic in the top six despite the past calendar year showing he's not even an every day NHL player
- Ruzicka being stapled to the fourth line after producing 17 points in his first 20 games of the season, and playing through a sickness when he was demoted
- Complete unwillingness to change up the look and personnel of the 27th ranked PP in the league

Also the fact that Vladar hasn't started more consistently is asinine. He's been the better goaltender all year long and has points in seven straight starts.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Solid game, could've gone either way but they were missing Ehlers.

Honestly think Jakub Vrana would fit so well here if his off-ice issues aren't too much of a concern. He would be the exact type of guy I'd want alongside Hubes and Kadri and would be a massive upgrade on Looch. I really hope Brad is doing his due diligence today and puts in a claim
I think the interest in Vrana will be low, for many reasons. #1 being risk.

If Detroit were to retain salary or offer compensation in a trade however.... Maybe? From an asset management perspective, a similar risk/reward as Sean Monahan, but a much bigger risk due to remaining term. So that's 2 first round picks to take him at full salary? :sarcasm:

Of course, Flames luck would be that if they acquired him, it would somehow end in catastrophic failure of semi-epic proportions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad