Series Discussion: Calgary Flames vs Dallas Stars (Flames win Series 4-3 in OT)

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Calgary Flames (P1) vs. Dallas Stars (WC1)

Tuesday, May 3: Stars at Flames, 10 p.m. ET (Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports, ESPN2)
Thursday, May 5: Stars at Flames, 10 p.m. ET (Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports, TBS)
Saturday, May 7: Flames at Stars, 9:30 p.m. ET (TNT, Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports)
Monday, May 9: Flames at Stars, 9:30 p.m. ET (TBS, Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports)
*Wednesday, May 11: Stars at Flames, TBD
*Friday, May 13: Flames at Stars, TBD
*Sunday, May 15: Stars at Flames, TBD

What are your series predictions, any particular score predictions as well?

Here's my score predictions:

Game 1: 1-4 Flames (Flames start out very strong to set the tone Top line gets 2 early goals, we play an excellent defensive game limiting their shots and chances).
Game 2: 2-3 Flames (OT) (I just feel Oettinger and the Stars as a whole will come more prepared. Still Calgary being the better team will ultimately prevail).
Game 3: 1-2 Stars (OT) (Stars all play well and win at home).
Game 4: 2-4 Stars (Flames have a slight off game).
Game 5: 2-4 Flames (Flames make a turn around to try to seal the series).
Game 6: 5-1 Flames (I will Flames will play hard and out of their minds to seal the deal).

Last edited by a moderator:

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Sports don't work that way. I expect a hard fought series with our size being the difference. Robertson is going to be a handful and they are legit on the back end. I want to say Flames in 5, but it depends on Oettinger. If he stands on his head it's going to be a goalie duel and could go 6 or 7.

Reactions: TheHudlinator

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Flames in 5. I think Dallas gets one home win, also because I will miss most of game 4 because of stupid softball so I would rather watch them close it out in 5 (at home) then miss game 4, although I would welcome the sweep.

Dallas has a negative goal differential and the fewest ROW of anyone in the playoffs, the Flames should not lose this series.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
It is hard to predict. Flames in 7.

I know that is an outlier prediction, but we always have trouble with trapping, heavy teams.

The Stars have way more size up front than we do and they've got pretty good size on the D as well.

Pavelski is a Flames killer, Radulov is too.

Oettinger is the wildcard. While his stats can't match Markstrom he is only 23. Meaning if he is feeling his oats, Dallas could be a tough out, TSN talking heads notwithstanding.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
6eg752.jpg

Wonder if Darryl matches up our top line against these guys or puts Backlund on it.

We struggle getting to the inside against this blueline, I don't expect a ton of rush chances. Bowness is a conservative coach, the Stars force dump ins and counter punch. They're a big team but not especially fast outside a couple players. Need Johnny and Tkachuk to step up and be the superstars they have been all season.

Reactions: Tofveve

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
These are the Stars. Like it or not, they'll at least win one game 3-2, take a 4-0 beating, and two games will end with a 4-1 score.

Game #1: Flames 4-1
Game #2: Stars 3-2
Game #3: Stars 4-1
---
This is where we'll see people come up with reasonable takes about Gaudreau and Tkachuk.
---
Game #4: Flames 5-4
Game #5: Flames 4-3
Game #6: Flames 4-0

I bet the Flames in 6, but this is only because the Stars kind of suck, not because I'm oozing confidence. The flames have been consistently elite defensively over the year (45-48 CA60, outside of a slump in December/early January), but their xGF60 is free falling.

They were 3rd in January (3.45). <- a completely unsustainable number
1st in February (3.09)
8th in March (2.81)
13rd in April (2.64). Somewhere around 3.56 xGF60 in the first five games, but that is a very small sample size involving many bad possession teams (minus the kings, but they had low 5-on-5 numbers during that time).
31st in the last ten games (2.17). Some of this could be attributed to not playing for a whole lot, but between their not-goaltending lineup decisions and watching them play, nothing substantiates they weren't trying.

I'm just hoping they don't lose against the Oilers because that would be embarrassing. I bet they'll win in 7 against the kings, so we'll end up facing them in all likelihood.

Reactions: Tofveve

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
6eg752.jpg

Wonder if Darryl matches up our top line against these guys or puts Backlund on it.

We struggle getting to the inside against this blueline, I don't expect a ton of rush chances. Bowness is a conservative coach, the Stars force dump ins and counter punch. They're a big team but not especially fast outside a couple players. Need Johnny and Tkachuk to step up and be the superstars they have been all season.
This is series I'd want Backlund and Coleman back together and against their top line. I'd put Dube with them as he has good counter attack speed. Put Mangiapane, toffoli, and Ruzicka against their 3rd line and let them feast

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I kind of am hoping the Preds really beat up on Colorado. They are the team I don't think we can beat. Let them enjoy the Preds and Wild before they play us.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
This is series I'd want Backlund and Coleman back together and against their top line. I'd put Dube with them as he has good counter attack speed. Put Mangiapane, toffoli, and Ruzicka against their 3rd line and let them feast

I'd be pretty surprised to see Ruzicka in this series but you never know. Little too up and down in his games this year, especially defensively.

They seem set on making Jarnkrok the 3C even though both Dube and Ruz have been better there this year.

Reactions: TheHudlinator

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Neither Nashville nor Dallas wanted to play the Flames

Only logical conclusion to blowing 4 goal lead against an AHL team

They know even if they win, they would be too beat up to continue anyway

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Flames in 4 or 5.
Don’t like that Stars forward depth, goaltending or defensive corps.

Again, Calgary can and will shit the bed come playoff time.
I think it's really going to come down to penalties, we have seen this team get into penalty trouble before and let teams get back into games we should have been in control of.

Reactions: flames23

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Just using last series as a reference point; injuries, defensive coverage of the points/house, and goaltending is what killed the Flames imo. I genuinely think a fully healthy Flames in 2020 takes Dallas out, given the tight games w/o Tkachuk being able to impact them.

The major thing that's different this year by my eye is that the Flames are going to be more capable of gameplanning to cover the Stars defensemen from getting free point shots in (the Sutter vs. Ward difference is going to be astounding) as well as new personnel like Coleman are going to be able to cover that assignment better. That's kind of where I'm wary of Toffoli sticking with a guy like Klingberg but we'll see.

Otherwise game 6 goaltending was a letdown (as was Ward's decision-making/the teams own clutch ability). I think all of those facets are much improved this season. It's going to come down to being able to execute game plans to take Dallas' D out of the play, and having either Backlund/Lindholm's lines outplay or break even with the Hintz line, since after that point the Flames have the on-paper advantage.

Kind of think they should use Mangiapane - Backlund - Coleman deployment to matchup hard against Hintz defensively in home games but it is what it is, I got faith in Sutter

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
One thing I want to note is based on stat checking and going on Dallas Stars forum section, Benn, Seguin, Klingberg, and Faksa have all gotten worse since the 2020 run, while Heiskanen's offense hasn't been as strong as back then either. Radulov has more or less just completely lost it. It also seems Bowness' system is worse. So while Stars added Robertson, Pavelski, and Hintz having a fantastic season, ultimately the consensus from them is the team is worse than 2020. Not to mention goaltending isn't as much of a strength as 2020 either.

Flames have been much more improved since 2020 as well. So while I still don't think we should take them lightly by any means, the truth is Dallas as a whole is not as good as 2020, while Flames have much improved.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Our first line needs to perform. Gaudreau needs to be what he's been for us during the regular season and more. It's a tall order but "these times are sent to try men's souls."

Reactions: Boomstick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad