GDT: Calgary Flames v. New York Islanders - January 2nd, 2015 - 7.00 PM - SN1, SN960

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
I guess, but if Hiller makes that save which was mostly routine the game goes into OT. Some of you are making it sound like the Islanders were some shut down juggernaut, didn't see that just a team that is sound defensively plus they got a lucky save at the end there it hit the shaft of the goalies stick I believe. The Flames had their chances.

Not trying to troll...but...questioning either Tavares goal would be like an Islanders fan questioning Gaudreau's goal. All goals were good...nothing flukey. Would you like to have the second penalty back or do you wish they had played the second goal better? Sure. I wish the Islanders had stayed on Gaudreau. S*** happens and good players make good plays. I have been very impressed by Calgary. I wish you all the best.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Not trying to troll...but...questioning either Tavares goal would be like an Islanders fan questioning Gaudreau's goal. All goals were good...nothing flukey. Would you like to have the second penalty back or do you wish they had played the second goal better? Sure. I wish the Islanders had stayed on Gaudreau. S*** happens and good players make good plays. I have been very impressed by Calgary. I wish you all the best.

Saying a goal is flukey because it's a 5 on 3 is like using you were drunk as an excuse for texting your ex last night.

I thought it was a very tight game overall, there were a few chances for both sides but Flames got burnt by playing from behind again. The Flames need to score more goals early on, but I give lots of credit to the Isles for not giving up much to the Flames.

The Isles have 3 lines that are loaded with skill, size, speed and all can score. Then you have a 4th line that is physical and wears you down. The defence is very well balanced and solid, you have puck movers, stay at home guys, size and physicality. And Halak doesn't let in much (the last few weeks may be an exception). I am extremely impressed by your team, you guys have a really well built team with no glaring weaknesses. I was happy we matched your team for the most part.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I was following this one on my phone through 40 minutes, then I got to sneak off and watch the third period. I was encouraged. We knew coming in that the Isles were a very talented team, and I thought we looked pretty good despite having to come from behind again. Monahan looked really good in the third- seemed to hit an extra gear along with Colborne. I really feel like they could use a skill guy like Hudler on the wing. Byron was fighting the puck all period and Glenny plays in straight lines.

I so wanted that Gio chance to go in where he hit the post late. Such a beautiful setup by him and Monahan, and he had the corner to shoot at.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Glenx needs to be off this team. Bring Ferland back up instead.

Seeing him out there in person tonight was painful. Especially the instance where he gave the puck away in our own zone after a long shift.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Glenx needs to be off this team. Bring Ferland back up instead.

Seeing him out there in person tonight was painful. Especially the instance where he gave the puck away in our own zone after a long shift.
I am so sick of Glencross haters and posts like this. Ferland has proven he is not ready to contribute offensively at the NHL level, having his replace Glencross would be a huge mistake and accomplish nothing except make the team worse.

HAKAN LOOB

Oct 5, 2013
I am so sick of Glencross haters and posts like this. Ferland has proven he is not ready to contribute offensively at the NHL level, having his replace Glencross would be a huge mistake and accomplish nothing except make the team worse.

You're post is 100% real talk, but I think a lot of the Glencross hate comes from him being super frustrating to watch. He's not even playing badly, it's just that he's usually good for a bad drop-pass at the blueline or a pass to nowhere.

I wouldn't be opposed to getting rid of Glencross, but you're right, Ferland is definitely not the guy you replace him with.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You're post is 100% real talk, but I think a lot of the Glencross hate comes from him being super frustrating to watch. He's not even playing badly, it's just that he's usually good for a bad drop-pass at the blueline or a pass to nowhere.

I wouldn't be opposed to getting rid of Glencross, but you're right, Ferland is definitely not the guy you replace him with.
I'm fine with moving Glencross too, especially if there is no intention to bring him back. I am just tired of a blind disdain for the guy.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
It's just that he makes a bad turnover when the pass is there to make. He fumbled the puck and fanned on the passes numerous times, as well as not being able to receive a pass properly. It seems too easy for opponents to steal the puck off him because essentially he gives it away easily, and that's why I'm consistently disappointed with him. He's a big body and can dominate along the boards when he wants to, but he seems reluctant to do that.

All I wish is to see the old Scoreface back when Feaster had to say "We literally received calls from 29 other teams inquire about the availability of Glencross" :D

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's just that he makes a bad turnover when the pass is there to make. He fumbled the puck and fanned on the passes numerous times, as well as not being able to receive a pass properly.

The exact same thing can be said about Johnny Gaudreau. But, you know, you take the Gaud with the bad. Do people forget about Johnny's giveaway that resulting in John Tavares getting a breakaway? Or all the times the puck hopped over his stick?

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
The exact same thing can be said about Johnny Gaudreau. But, you know, you take the Gaud with the bad. Do people forget about Johnny's giveaway that resulting in John Tavares getting a breakaway? Or all the times the puck hopped over his stick?

This is true but one is a rookie and the other is veteran with a letter on his jersey.

Also the fact Glencross is a UFA a lot of people probably want him traded due to our depth at LW, which is fine. So fans are intentionally going to pick at everything he does wrong.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This is true but one is a rookie and the other is veteran with a letter on his jersey.

Also the fact Glencross is a UFA a lot of people probably want him traded due to our depth at LW, which is fine. So fans are intentionally going to pick at everything he does wrong.

That's really all I was pointing out. We know that Glencross isn't an All-star player, so he is going to make mistakes basically every game. Does that mean he isn't better than an AHL guy? Absolutely not. We'd just be more willing to forgive mistakes by younger guys even if it meant the team losing more.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014

But Johnny takes the play to the opponent trying to make things happen, as opposed to Glenny who does not do those things like he did 2 or 3 years ago. Both have demonstrated to give the puck away too easily, but in Glenny's case you just expect a little bit better. He's been in the league long enough and he has the size and strength to know that he can shield the puck instead of giving it away easily.

I have no problems with his defensive game as I think it's excellent - like last night when he laid the body on Tavares to steal the puck and some important shot blocks - but it's the little things with his puck-game that leaves me asking more. I've never expected him to score 30+ goals every season, but as a veteran and a supporting player you have to cut down on the bad plays.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Couldn't agree more, the way people talk you'd think he has 6 points not 26.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I hope Glencross stays. He's still a very effective two way guy, and he can play top or bottom 6 minutes. I just don't want him signed longterm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad