Calgary Flames Trade History: Best and Worst Trades of All-Time

Aug 3, 2010
If the worst trade in Calgary's history is the trade that acquires some of the final few pieces the Flames needed to win the Cup, a GM makes that trade a million times over.

So no, it's not the worst trade by a long shot. But I guess that provocative controversy is what gets you clicks, so clearly poor journalism trumps common sense.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah the worst trade was easily the Gilmour to Toronto deal.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
One could also argue that the Flames might have won a few more cups with Hull.

Ramage may or may not matter in the win in 1989. He was a support piece not a main piece.

That was a bad deal

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Granlund for Shinkaruk is starting to see some separation too

How so? Neither player would have any impact on the Flames right now.

Doesn't matter how many NHL seasons Granlund plays for the Canucks; unless he is a better player than the guys we have, that trade has zero negative impact on the Flames.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Doesn't matter how many NHL seasons Granlund plays for the Canucks; unless he is a better player than the guys we have, that trade has zero negative impact on the Flames.

I think he is a better option on the wing than several of our current roster players. Shinkaruk still has some time to establish himself as an NHL player though, so jury is still out on the trade itself.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think he is a better option on the wing than several of our current roster players. Shinkaruk still has some time to establish himself as an NHL player though, so jury is still out on the trade itself.

I don't know about that. Our left wing depth is currently Gaudreau - Tkachuk - Versteeg - Fourth liner. Unless you think he could be an effective fourth-liner? I personally don't think so.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I don't know about that. Our left wing depth is currently Gaudreau - Tkachuk - Versteeg - Fourth liner. Unless you think he could be an effective fourth-liner? I personally don't think so.

I think he is a better player overall than Versteeg, brings more to the table. Happy as I have been with Versteeg I would rather have Granlund going forward.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think he is a better player overall than Versteeg, brings more to the table. Happy as I have been with Versteeg I would rather have Granlund going forward.

Really? Granlund doesn't strike me as a guy that actually contributes. He can finish (no pun intended), but I feel like he is not a hard player to play against. :dunno:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Really? Granlund doesn't strike me as a guy that actually contributes. He can finish (no pun intended), but I feel like he is not a hard player to play against. :dunno:

I would describe Versteeg as primarily just an offensive player, with the bonus of being clutch sometimes.

Granlund I think has the better defensive game and is a better fit on your prototypical 3rd line than Versteeg. Versteeg is most valuable when he has above average line mates to play with.

Neither is far better than the other, but in a vacuum I like Granlund more. He is also only 24 and probably has a fair bit of upside left.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
The Hull trade isn't even top 5 worst in Flames history.

Trading away Gilmour, Mullen, Bouwmeester, Phaneuf, Savard are all worse trades. Hull was a prospect at the time and we had a ton of offensive stud prospects like Roberts and Niewendyk. Yeah in hindsight it looks bad because Hull puts up 700+ goals, but A) we wouldn't have kept him very long and B) we won a Cup with the returns.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The Hull trade isn't even top 5 worst in Flames history.

Trading away Gilmour, Mullen, Bouwmeester, Phaneuf, Savard are all worse trades. Hull was a prospect at the time and we had a ton of offensive stud prospects like Roberts and Niewendyk. Yeah in hindsight it looks bad because Hull puts up 700+ goals, but A) we wouldn't have kept him very long and B) we won a Cup with the returns.

How was JayB a bad trade? because T Button doesnt know how to draft?

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Gilmour and Savard for a bunch of nothing two years following the trades. Given I've been following the flames since early 2000s, the Savard trade personally hurts me more.

Sometime I can't help but imagine how 2009 would've went if we kept him... the first round exits hurt me more than the previous three.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
How was JayB a bad trade? because T Button doesnt know how to draft?

A European league goalie, a minor leaguer, and a late 1st (who probably won't even crack the NHL for another year or two, if ever) for a top pairing defenseman in his prime with one year left on his contract. That is ****ing brutal. I have no idea how so many Flames fans were happy with that return. That rivals the Savard trade for the 2nd worst in franchise history

Edit: And iirc Feaster pedalled this idea that the Bouwmeester trade would give us added flexibility with our cap space which we could put to good use. Didn't even end up happening. His retool/rebuild on the fly was embarrassing

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah Gilbert ran Savard out of time, he traded the C that Iginla always wanted.

Also I still think Shink will be better than Granlund. We should not give up on him.

MissionCanucksFan

Mar 2, 2014

He's been great for us. Scoring 19 goals while playing a good portion of the year with a jammed wrist is encouraging for the future. We played him up and down and all around our line-up the past 2 years and he hasn't looked out of place wherever he was put. LW, RW, 2nd line, 1st line, 3rd line.... he works his arse off. Being paired with a skilled guy like Henrik Sedin, he did really good.
We think he will score atleast 20 next year....

Paired with a skilled center like Monahan, Backlund, or on the 3rd with Bennett, he coulda done just as good of a job as Versteeg at half the price. Not taking anything away from Versteeg

MissionCanucksFan

Mar 2, 2014
I would describe Versteeg as primarily just an offensive player, with the bonus of being clutch sometimes.

Granlund I think has the better defensive game and is a better fit on your prototypical 3rd line than Versteeg. Versteeg is most valuable when he has above average line mates to play with.

Neither is far better than the other, but in a vacuum I like Granlund more. He is also only 24 and probably has a fair bit of upside left.

Oh, we think he is just getting started. A full year with Sedins, and he could be in great shape going into his contract year. If his wrist is heeled, no reason to think he cant atleast equal his 19 goals. Maybe even get closer to 25

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
One could also argue that the Flames might have won a few more cups with Hull.

Ramage may or may not matter in the win in 1989. He was a support piece not a main piece.

That was a bad deal

No but Wamsley giving Mike Vernon some rest down the stretch was extremely important, and easy to forget.

I always forget that Mullen was traded away, I thought he left as a free agent.

The Hull trade was bad, but I can wipe my tears with a Stanley Cup banner, and call it revisionist history or whatever you will but I'm okay with it.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
A European league goalie, a minor leaguer, and a late 1st (who probably won't even crack the NHL for another year or two, if ever) for a top pairing defenseman in his prime with one year left on his contract. That is ****ing brutal. I have no idea how so many Flames fans were happy with that return. That rivals the Savard trade for the 2nd worst in franchise history

Edit: And iirc Feaster pedalled this idea that the Bouwmeester trade would give us added flexibility with our cap space which we could put to good use. Didn't even end up happening. His retool/rebuild on the fly was embarrassing

There were also rumors floating around that Detroit offered Tatar + Nyquist for Bouwmeester, but Feaster said no because he was adamant about getting a 1st round pick.

Absolutely brutal. Tatar and Nyquist were essentially developed prospects about to bloom and Feaster preferred a late 1st rounder, who was/is years away from ever playing.

The Bouwmeester trade was miles worse than the Iginla trade. Iggy was old, had a NTC and basically told Feaster where he wanted to go. Bouwmeester didn't have a NTC and had an extra year and was a top pairing d-man. Horrendous return for Bouwmeester.

It's like we learned nothing from trading Phaneuf away a couple years before. We traded 2 top pairing d-men away (Phaneuf could be argued top pairing, but he had the pedigree at the time) for a late first, and scrubs upon scrubs.

Thank the hockey Gods we now have Treliving who almost never loses trades and most of the time comes out on top by a large margin. We went from trading 2 top d-men away for a 1st, a 3rd line center (Stajan) and rubbish, to getting Hamilton and Hamonic for 2 1st's and 4 2nd's.

I hope Tre is the Flames GM for a long long time, especially now that he has full autonomy.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
He's been great for us. Scoring 19 goals while playing a good portion of the year with a jammed wrist is encouraging for the future. We played him up and down and all around our line-up the past 2 years and he hasn't looked out of place wherever he was put. LW, RW, 2nd line, 1st line, 3rd line.... he works his arse off. Being paired with a skilled guy like Henrik Sedin, he did really good.
We think he will score atleast 20 next year....

Paired with a skilled center like Monahan, Backlund, or on the 3rd with Bennett, he coulda done just as good of a job as Versteeg at half the price. Not taking anything away from Versteeg

I was pretty much the only Flames fan who thought Canucks won that trade.

Still, i can sleep at night without Granlund. Ferland is better. Mangiapane is better. Jankowski is many tiers better. Klimchuk is comparably good. Poirier has more upside. Foo is free and shoots right. Who knows, maybe I am wrong about Shinkaruk too.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
There were also rumors floating around that Detroit offered Tatar + Nyquist for Bouwmeester, but Feaster said no because he was adamant about getting a 1st round pick.

The biggest insult to injury was that the 1st we got in return was lottery protected too. How pathetic is that :laugh:

Absolutely brutal. Tatar and Nyquist were essentially developed prospects about to bloom and Feaster preferred a late 1st rounder, who was/is years away from ever playing.

It's ok. We got Mark Cundari, a 5'9" defenseman as our developed prospect.

The Bouwmeester trade was miles worse than the Iginla trade. Iggy was old, had a NTC and basically told Feaster where he wanted to go. Bouwmeester didn't have a NTC and had an extra year and was a top pairing d-man. Horrendous return for Bouwmeester.

I think the only reason more Flames fans aren't outraged with this trade is because we somehow got a 2nd for Berra. But I think Feaster should have been fired the same day he made the Bouwmeester trade.

I hope Tre is the Flames GM for a long long time, especially now that he has full autonomy.
Amen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad