Calgary Flames' rebuild aided by rookie performers

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
johnny_gaudreau_calgary_122014.jpg
Photo: Calgary Flame Johnny Gaudreau is a frontrunner for the Calder Trophy (courtesy of Bob Frid/Icon Sportswire)

The Calgary Flames continue to move in a positive direction with their rebuild process as their prospects make an impact at the NHL level. The additions of Johnny Gaudreau and Josh Jooris have enhanced the team offensively, while Markus Granlund has provided reliable support in place of injured forwards.

When the Flames lineup was plagued by injuries in November, Granlund and a supporting cast of prospects stepped in and helped post a 9-4 record for the month. One of those prospects included Corban Knight, who has recently been traded to the Florida Panthers in exchange for forward prospect Drew Shore.… read more

The post Calgary Flames’ rebuild aided by rookie performers appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Last edited by a moderator:

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Blackhawks fan coming in peace.

I'm a NCAA fan and really enjoyed watching Johnny Gaudreau college. Don't have a chance to watch the Flames much, but I do follow the boxscores and watch some of the highlights to see what the kid is up to.

His numbers are impressive. Is he just as impressive when watching him? A common comparison in college was a smaller version of Patrick Kane...does that still hold?

PS: Sorry to invade your board. Just wanted to see the Calgary perspective instead of starting a debate on the main board.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

I'm a NCAA fan and really enjoyed watching Johnny Gaudreau college. Don't have a chance to watch the Flames much, but I do follow the boxscores and watch some of the highlights to see what the kid is up to.

His numbers are impressive. Is he just as impressive when watching him? A common comparison in college was a smaller version of Patrick Kane...does that still hold?

PS: Sorry to invade your board. Just wanted to see the Calgary perspective instead of starting a debate on the main board.

You pretty much summed up everyones opinion on him.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

No worries about 'invading' our board, we don't get enough visitors here :laugh:.

Yeah the Kane comparison is pretty spot on, with the occasional Datsyukin takeaway.

MrGameAndWatch

Jun 23, 2014

He's definitely impressive still, but lately he seems to have a bit of a drop off in performance. Some passes aren't connecting, some shots aren't getting through, he's getting stripped of the puck etc.

It might be due to fatigue; a month ago he was creating magic on seemingly every other shift. The magic has worn off a bit but he's still a very dangerous player that makes some fine, smart plays and has a deceptively good release on his shot.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He's definitely impressive still, but lately he seems to have a bit of a drop off in performance. Some passes aren't connecting, some shots aren't getting through, he's getting stripped of the puck etc.

It might be due to fatigue; a month ago he was creating magic on seemingly every other shift. The magic has worn off a bit but he's still a very dangerous player that makes some fine, smart plays and has a deceptively good release on his shot.

I think a lot of that is just our perspective shifting. We're moving towards the "taking him for granted" stage. Like in last night's game, he did the thing where he completely danced around McNabb on the rush and took it to the net in the third period. That would've put a half a page of reaction on our GDT at the start of the season, but no one mentioned it this game because we're used to it. At this point, we are mostly noticing his mistakes. He was giving the puck away a lot at the start of the season too.

He is also gaining confidence and playing more aggressively, which leads to more opportunities to lose the puck.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Monahan is going to be a star in this league. I know I have been saying this for a while now, but good god that kid is amazing. I know we are all enamored with Johnny Hockey[sup]TM[/sup] (and with good reason) but Monahan is the future of this franchise.

I think he will be a consistent 25-35 goal scorer who will be good for 45-55 assists per year while being a top two-way centre. He also has shown the markings of a clutch performer and is a known leader.

I honestly predict multiple Selke Trophies in his future.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago

Thanks for the responses from everyone!

Yeah, I guess fatigue could expected...especially with his smaller frame. I'm a big Kane fan and would love to see Gaudreau have similar success. I remember when Kane came up he would talk in the media how physically taxing the NHL is. He said in an interview (paraphrasing), "This isn't the OHL...I can't just roll out of bed and score a hattrick." :laugh: He literally had to learn how to eat, how to stretch, how to sleep, etc. I'm sure Gaudreau will get there.

Good luck to you all! I've always liked the Flames. Iginla is my favorite non-Hawk...might be Gaudreau soon.

Trae

Calgary
Monahan is going to be a star in this league. I know I have been saying this for a while now, but good god that kid is amazing. I know we are all enamored with Johnny Hockey[sup]TM[/sup] (and with good reason) but Monahan is the future of this franchise.

I think he will be a consistent 25-35 goal scorer who will be good for 45-55 assists per year while being a top two-way centre. He also has shown the markings of a clutch performer and is a known leader.

Those are pretty lofty numbers, 90 points is superstar, let alone star... I'd be grateful for consistent 60-70 pts and 30 goal seasons in his prime, putting him right in that Toews, Bergeron, Kesler group. A season with 70-90 points i could see happening maybe once or twice, but not consistently. I hope you're right though.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

I too see Monahan as a consistent 30 goal scorer.

Seasons with 30g-40a every year would be wonderful.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Those are pretty lofty numbers, 90 points is superstar, let alone star... I'd be grateful for consistent 60-70 pts and 30 goal seasons in his prime, putting him right in that Toews, Bergeron, Kesler group. A season with 70-90 points i could see happening maybe once or twice, but not consistently. I hope you're right though.
I never said 90 points. I never said that he would have 35 goals and 55 assists in the same season, that was why I made a point to list goals and assists separately. I am only saying he will be a consistent 70+ point player.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

This is where I see him too, 30 goals, 65ish points; elite two way.

A guy you win with, but no where near Crosby/Getzlaf type levels. Toews, Krejci, Bergeron or Kopitar type outputs; especially when they find decent line mates that are compatible.

Devilspuppet666

Dec 25, 2010
Calgary

personally find him overrated and dont believe he belongs with Bergeron and Toews

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Fatigue and other teams have started focusing on him a lot more. His line tends to face the opposing teams best defensemen more often than not nowadays. There's going to be a period of adjustment but he'll likely get a second wind near the end of the regular season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad