Calgary Flames 2013 Prospect Ranking - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
For me its a toss up between Seiloff and Granlund. But I think Granlund has slighty more upside at his respective position, but Seiloff is a safer bet to make it. I think Granlund will make it at some point, I went with him.

Aug 3, 2010
Granlund then Sieloff for me. Afterwards, a mashup of Kanzig, Breen, Arnold and Hanowski to round out the top 15 IMO.

I don't feel like Brossoit will pan out nor will Ortio.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Granlund then Sieloff for me. Afterwards, a mashup of Kanzig, Breen, Arnold and Hanowski to round out the top 15 IMO.

I don't feel like Brossoit will pan out nor will Ortio.

Based on what exactly? Both myself and several members of the organization have both been on the record saying Ortio looked fantastic during the prospect camp. I honestly liked him best out of all the goalies there.

Anyways, missed voting for Klimchuk last time so glad to see he won. I'm going Granlund simply because I think he's got a better chance of being a top six player than Sieloff does being a top 4 guy. Not to say that I don't think Sieloff can be, just if I had to put money on a safer bet.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Based on what exactly? Both myself and several members of the organization have both been on the record saying Ortio looked fantastic during the prospect camp. I honestly liked him best out of all the goalies there.

Anyways, missed voting for Klimchuk last time so glad to see he won. I'm going Granlund simply because I think he's got a better chance of being a top six player than Sieloff does being a top 4 guy. Not to say that I don't think Sieloff can be, just if I had to put money on a safer bet.

I think that is a bit deceiving as I think Granlund is top 6 or bust where as Sieloff could be top 4 or a very effective bottom pairing defenseman. (Not that it really matters but I think the bust factor with Granlund keeps him below Sieloff).

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think that is a bit deceiving as I think Granlund is top 6 or bust where as Sieloff could be top 4 or a very effective bottom pairing defenseman. (Not that it really matters but I think the bust factor with Granlund keeps him below Sieloff).

To each their own. At this point it's splitting hairs really. Granlund also has being closer to NHL ready than Sieloff, despite whatever magic fairy dust Feaster is trying to sell lately.

I'm going hard for Arnold once Sieloff and Granlund are gone. Think Chris Kelly, faster with a wicked wrister and good hands.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
To each their own. At this point it's splitting hairs really. Granlund also has being closer to NHL ready than Sieloff, despite whatever magic fairy dust Feaster is trying to sell lately.

I'm going hard for Arnold once Sieloff and Granlund are gone. Think Chris Kelly, faster with a wicked wrister and good hands.
is chris kelly a 3rd line C?

Aug 3, 2010
Based on what exactly? Both myself and several members of the organization have both been on the record saying Ortio looked fantastic during the prospect camp. I honestly liked him best out of all the goalies there..

In general, I'm not really sold on Calgary's goaltending prospects. They're numerous but not stellar.

Outside of MacDonald, here's how I'd rank them optimistically.

Ramo (Average NHL starter potential, ready to step into that role)
Gillies (Good NHL starter potential, not enough experience to step into the role, needs more time developing)
Berra (Old enough with experience to step into NHL, 1B / 2A role at best)
Ortio (2A or great AHL starter)
Broissoit (2B or good AHL starter)

Outside of stats, a lot of it just has to do with the teams they played on and watching their games and reading their recaps. I follow Gillies and Broissoit closest, and Ortio at the international level. Personally speaking, I value goaltenders who shine on poor teams over good/stacked teams in their respective leagues, and experience over potential in terms of development (example, making national teams and the like.)

I did not attend the prospect camp so I will not argue against what you saw there, but one good camp does not make a career.

Either of us could be wrong, I'm just not as high on him as others. I used to be, but Ortio took a step backwards a couple of seasons ago and I haven't heard much about his "recovery" to getting back on track.

Don't take it personally being on the record and all - it's just how I view it.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Agostino is criminally underrated.

I like Agostino, Granlund, and Arnold but in my mind Seiloff is leaps and bounds ahead of them because he is an organizational need. Our D and goalies got pushed around last year and we desparately need a pest. Seiloff brings that type of player you love to have on your team but hate to play against. He has a future in the NHL even if it is in a bottom 2 role.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Yes and one of the best in the league. The only thing that stops him from being more is his hands are about as good as Lombardi's at the best of times. With Arnold that isn't a problem

so you see him becoming an elite 3rd line C?

SickHandsNoShot

May 7, 2012
Ya it was between Agostino and Seiloff for me. Edge to Seiloff, they both are likely to end up bottom 6/Bottom pairing.

However if Seiloff can become a top for guy, I think he would make a bigger impact than Agostino would in the top 6.

Oh and I think Granlund is just below them, he just has a slight bust factor, where I just don't think the other two do at all.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Just curious - which four other prospects would you sandwich Agostino between?

Example:
a
b
Agostino
c
d
thats tough because I rate other guys higher and lower. I rate Agostino 10th among Flames prospects, but seeing him ranked so closely to and behind in voting to Granlund makes me ill. Granlund is undersized, does not skate well and his real only big asset is his shot, he lacks the tenacity to become an NHL and I have my doubts he will be a successful AHLer. His skillset reminds is extremely similar to Cervenka.

But there are my ratings that I posted in a previous prospect thread

1 - Sean Monahan
2 - Sven Baertschi
3 - Johnny Gaudreau
4 - Mark Jankowski
5 - Jon Gillies
6 - Max Reinhart
7 - Emile Poirier
8 - Corban Knight
9 - Morgan Klimchuk
10 - Kenny Agostino
11 - Tyler Wotherspoon
12 - Patrick Sieloff
13 - Chris Breen
14 - Mark Cundari
15 - Laurent Brossoit
16 - Markus Granlund
17 - Ben Hankowski
18 - Bill Arnold
19 - Chad Billins
20 - John Ramage
21 - Keegan Kanzig
22 - Lance Bouma
23 - Tim Harrison
24 - Ryan Culkin
25 - Brett Kulak
26 - Greg Nemisz
27 - Joni Ortio
28 - Michael Ferland
29 - Eric Roy
30 - Turner Elson
31 - Paul Byron
32 - Matt DeBlouw
33 - Coda Gordon
34 - John Gilmour
35 - Ryan Howse
36 - Carter Bancks
37 - David Eddy
38 - Rushan Rafikov

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Agostino looks to be a really good prospect, but his upside is likely that of a really good 3rd line player or a 2nd line tweener. I'd personally rank Granlund higher for the sole reason that he's a top 6 player, but it is more of a stretch that he reaches it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad