Calgary Flames 2013 draft preview

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

The Calgary Flames head into the 2013 NHL Draft four years removed from the playoffs. General Manager Jay Feaster has come to terms that the team is in a “rebuilding” mode rather than a “retooling” one. Gone is former captain Jarome Iginla and assistant captain Jay Bouwmeester, and in return are two first round picks acquired via both players waiving their no-trade clauses at trade deadline. The status of goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff is in the balance and his decision could also change the dynamics of the team next year should he decide to retire. The Flames find themselves at an interesting junction with a lot of questions to be answered.… read more

More...

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Wotherspoon finally getting some recognition. Our most undervalued prospect I think. Good read overall.

Also, I would be thrilled if those are the pieces we walked away from the draft with.

Last edited:

Trae

Calgary
Haven't read the entire article yet. But first glance, Gillies needs to be in that top 10, HUGE omission.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't believe the top prospects list was updated with the article. It just listed what the rankings were last time it was updated, which was in March. Not that it isn't still a poor list for March :laugh:

Seeing Ferland on the list @ 10 made me laugh. Gillies, Breen & Granlund should be ahead of him for guys we had in March. And Hanowski, Agostino and Cundari who are all recent additions still should all be ahead of him too.

My top 30 would be:
The spaces indicate where I feel there is a drop to the next tier, in many cases those in each tier could be rearranged in almost any order
1. Baertschi (LW)

2. Gaudreau (LW)
3. Jankowski (C)

4. Reinhart (C)

5. Agostino (LW)
6. Wotherspoon (D)
7. Sieloff (D)
8. Gillies (G)
9. Cundari (D)

10. Brossoit (G)
11. Breen (D)
12. Hanowski (RW)
13. Arnold (C)
14. Ramage (D)

15. Granlund (C)
16. Ortio (G)
17. Bouma (LW)
18. Byron (C)

19. Ferland (RW)
20. Nemisz (RW)
21. Aliu (RW)

22. DeBlouw (C)
23. Kulak (D)
24. Lamb (D)
25. Culkin (D)
26. Elson (LW)

27. Howse (LW)
28. Gordon (LW)
29. Bancks (LW)
30. Eddy (LW)

Last edited:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I don't believe the top prospects list was updated with the article. It just listed what the rankings were last time it was updated, which was in March. Not that it isn't still a poor list for March :laugh:

Seeing Ferland on the list @ 10 made me laugh. Gillies, Breen & Granlund should be ahead of him for guys we had in March. And Hanowski, Agostino and Cundari who are all recent additions still should all be ahead of him too.

My top 30 would be:
The spaces indicate where I feel there is a drop to the next tier, in many cases those in each tier could be rearranged in almost any order
1. Baertschi (LW)

2. Gaudreau (LW)
3. Jankowski (C)

4. Reinhart (C)

5. Agostino (LW)
6. Wotherspoon (D)
7. Sieloff (D)
8. Gillies (G)
9. Cundari (D)

10. Brossoit (G)
11. Breen (D)
12. Hamowski (RW)
13. Arnold (C)
14. Ramage (D)

15. Granlund (C)
16. Ortio (G)
17. Bouma (LW)
18. Byron (C)

19. Ferland (RW)
20. Nemisz (RW)
21. Aliu (RW)

22. DeBlouw (C)
23. Kulak (D)
24. Lamb (D)
25. Culkin (D)
26. Elson (LW)

27. Howse (LW)
28. Gordon (LW)
29. Bancks (LW)
30. Eddy (LW)

:laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I take it you are one of those "He can't skate so he is a bad prospect" people.

The kid has a very high hockey IQ and knows where to be on the ice both offensively and defensively. That is far more important than skating.

Aug 3, 2010

The kid has a very high hockey IQ and knows where to be on the ice both offensively and defensively. That is far more important than skating.
Actually, it's because his name is misspelled. And it's hilarious.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I've seen Morrisey as an early 2nd in quite a few mocks. He gets way more praise on HF than he does from scouts.

I saw a thing on TSN this morning where James Duthie was interviewing the top three prospects and Darnell Nurse and asked who they would take in the draft (outside of those four). MacKinnon said Sean Morrissey.

The others said Monahan, Theodore and Hartman, fyi.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I saw a thing on TSN this morning where James Duthie was interviewing the top three prospects and Darnell Nurse and asked who they would take in the draft (outside of those four). MacKinnon said Sean Morrissey.

The others said Monahan, Theodore and Hartman, fyi.
mackinnon said morrissey as a joke

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Actually, it's because his name is misspelled. And it's hilarious.

Maybe if Lamb also makes the NHL we can acquire a center and have an all-meat line.

FWIW, I actually really like Hanowski, more than most people I think. He has such a well rounded tool box, if he was a better skater he could be another Glenny, the kid has some decent mitts.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Maybe if Lamb also makes the NHL we can acquire a center and have an all-meat line.

FWIW, I actually really like Hanowski, more than most people I think. He has such a well rounded tool box, if he was a better skater he could be another Glenny, the kid has some decent mitts.
I really like Hanowski too, I think he has the smarts to be a young Knuble.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Lamb-Pouliot-Hamowski? Close enough.

I'm hungry.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
mackinnon said morrissey as a joke

I think Morrissey has the goods. He looked a heck of a lot better to me than Jones in my viewings of them. Granted, he doesn't have the upside Jones does with his physical tools, but right now he's a better player IMO. I'm really hoping we can snag him with the Blues pick, but I doubt it. Scouts are too smart now, he'll likely go top 15.

Trae

Calgary

My top 30 would be:
1. Baertschi (LW)

2. Gaudreau (LW)
3. Jankowski (C)

4. Reinhart (C)

5. Agostino (LW)
6. Wotherspoon (D)
7. Sieloff (D)
8. Gillies (G)
9. Cundari (D)

10. Brossoit (G)
11. Breen (D)
12. Hanowski (RW)
13. Arnold (C)
14. Ramage (D)

15. Granlund (C)
16. Ortio (G)
17. Bouma (LW)
18. Byron (C)

19. Ferland (RW)
20. Nemisz (RW)
21. Aliu (RW)

22. DeBlouw (C)
23. Kulak (D)
24. Lamb (D)
25. Culkin (D)
26. Elson (LW)

27. Howse (LW)
28. Gordon (LW)
29. Bancks (LW)
30. Eddy (LW)

No disagreements from me on this list, where to slot in Knight though...

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

My top 30 would be:
1. Baertschi (LW)

2. Gaudreau (LW)
3. Jankowski (C)

4. Reinhart (C)

5. Agostino (LW)
6. Wotherspoon (D)
7. Sieloff (D)
8. Gillies (G)
9. Cundari (D)

10. Brossoit (G)
11. Breen (D)
12. Hanowski (RW)
13. Arnold (C)
14. Ramage (D)

15. Granlund (C)
16. Ortio (G)
17. Bouma (LW)
18. Byron (C)

19. Ferland (RW)
20. Nemisz (RW)
21. Aliu (RW)

22. DeBlouw (C)
23. Kulak (D)
24. Lamb (D)
25. Culkin (D)
26. Elson (LW)

27. Howse (LW)
28. Gordon (LW)
29. Bancks (LW)
30. Eddy (LW)

Mine would be:

1. Bartschi
2. Gaudreau

3. Gilles
4. Cundari
5. Arnold
6. Wotherspoon
7. Reinhart
8. Brossoit
9. Agostino

10. Bouma
11. Jankowski
12. Breen
13. Sieloff
14. Kulak
15. Culkin
16. Hanowksi
17. Ortio
18. Granlund
19. Ferland
20. Deblouw
21. Elson
22. Gordon (loved this pick at the time, he had a terrible year though, I live near Swift)
23. Aliu

Done with Nemisz, Byron and Howse. Didn't think they should have signed Ramage. That said, I hope all of them prove me wrong. Sad really, I had such high hopes for Ferland and Howse in particular. Loved them both in Junior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad