Series Discussion: Calgary Flames (1-3) host the Edmonton Oilers in the first Battle of Alberta of the Millenium

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I've seen a lot of "Kylington hasn't been good in the playoffs" or "the Flames need to scratch Kylington" and I don't understand it at all.
Eh, he's playing like a rookie playing in the biggest games of his career, and is obvious that he's missing his regular partner. Gripping his stick too tight, has lost an edge, trying to do too much. On one occasion was beat on a defensive assignment that led to a goal - and even on that play he did everything by the book without taking a penalty, and in the future with more experience he'll know to take the penalty. Sure not worthy of scratching him.

I'm not worried, he's found some confidence lately and his overall game is improving - albeit slowly.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I kind of doubt Sutter goes with Vladar for game 4 but I think I probably would. Not on Marky we lost last night but man has he looked shaky against the Oilers. We're letting the Oilers and McDavid dictate play way too often, can't wait until the third period to show up. Game 4 these guys need to show something.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
If we lose game 4 I’m on suicide watch. The shame and humiliation will be immense.

Love that CP is bitching about the smugness of oilers fans right now. Oh the irony lol

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
It's strange that just about anybody can stand up to any iteration of the McDavid Oilers but us. It's understandable that rivalry matchups aren't so cut and dry on paper but where is the self-confidence? Markstrom is posting worse numbers than Post-Concussion Corey Crawford. The milquetoast Jets were able to sweep them. A decimated Kings team led by greybeards in Kopitar and Quick had them on the brink.

The WCF could very well be a bye round for the Avs/Blues but the Flames need to show more pride in this series

Last edited:
Reactions: FlamerForLife

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
It's strange that just about anybody can stand up to any iteration of the McDavid Oilers but us. It's understandable that rivalry matchups aren't so cut and dry on paper but where is the self-confidence? Markstrom is posting worse numbers than Post-Concussion Corey Crawford. The milquetoast Jets were able to sweep them. A decimated Kings team led by greybeards in Kopitar and Quick had them on the brink.

The ECF could very well be a bye round for the Avs/Blues but the Flames need to show more pride in this series

I mean Oilers scored 17 goals in the first 3 games against LA, while only 15 against the Flames, and this is with Quick playing unreal in that series, while Markstrom has had the worst few games of his career. Also, the Oilers depth actually scored against the Kings in the first 3 games, whereas it's basically just McDavid's line and Hyman so far against us. We need to improve a lot, but we've been better than the Kings in the first 3 games against the Oilers, and the Kings still took them to 7 games. This series is still very winnable.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Don't get me wrong if the Flames play like last night for the next 2 games, they're done. However, I want to mention some context.

Oilers have scored 15 goals and allowed 13 in the first 3 games against the Flames. They scored 17 and allowed 6 against the Kings in the same span. Keep in mind this is also with Quick playing great, and Markstrom having his worst stretch of his career.

Oilers first 3 games against Kings 5on5 per 60:
xGF: 3.69 xGA: 2.82 xGF%: 56.7%

Against Flames:
xGF: 2.51 xGA: 3.52 xGF%: 41.6%

Against Kings all situations per 60:
xGF: 4.05 xGA: 3.34 xGF%: 54.8%

Against Flames:
xGF: 3.36 xGA: 4.00 xGF%: 45.7%

The Flames have a lot of issues they need to improve, but seeing the actual and expected goals for and goals against in the first 3 games of both series, and yet the Kings took the Oilers to 7 games, the Flames are not out of this just now.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Tkachuk hit the nail on the head, there’s one player that’s beating the Flames. It’s also magnified that much more when our best defender is out and missing games. Honestly this series shouldn’t be close, but Tanev is out and McDavid gave one of the best individual playoff performances I’ve ever seen last night. Calgary can very well win this series but they need to play their game.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't even think it's about what McDavid is doing rather than what he is being allowed to do. Like, the commentators absolutely fawning over McDavid turning Hanifin and going in for the 2-on-1... Hanifin puts himself in a place where he can neither get the puck nor get in McDavid's way. McDavid doesn't need to make a great play there as good as he is, he just needs to take what is given.

Bottom line is McDavid is going to make some great plays in any game and probably get a point every game, but at least force him to make great plays to get those points. Don't let him beat you simply by going through the motions.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Things are so magnified right now; Lewis’s two stupid penalties really cost us along with not staying on top of the puck a few times most notably Hanifin’s play against McDavid. Also D should not activate with McDavid on ice.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't even think it's about what McDavid is doing rather than what he is being allowed to do. Like, the commentators absolutely fawning over McDavid turning Hanifin and going in for the 2-on-1... Hanifin puts himself in a place where he can neither get the puck nor get in McDavid's way. McDavid doesn't need to make a great play there as good as he is, he just needs to take what is given.

Bottom line is McDavid is going to make some great plays in any game and probably get a point every game, but at least force him to make great plays to get those points. Don't let him beat you simply by going through the motions.
McDavid is literally doing whatever he wants. Flames have no answer for him. Having Tanev would help, but he’s still going to do McDavid things. I haven’t seen a player have a performance this good since Lemieux and Gretzky. He’s been that unreal.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
McDavid is literally doing whatever he wants. Flames have no answer for him. Having Tanev would help, but he’s still going to do McDavid things. I haven’t seen a player have a performance this good since Lemieux and Gretzky. He’s been that unreal.
Yes, he's good, but my point is that he hasn't needed to do anything remarkable to get his offence.

It's like if you were playing against kids. You're bigger and faster and can do things that they can't, and if they don't adjust to that you'll be able to score at will, and it won't really feel like you've done anything remarkable.

But if the kids are organized and defend you in a way that accounts for your extra speed and strength, then you do need to go the extra step of finding ways to use your advantages and exploit them. You actually need to make great plays, not just be great.

I'm fully willing to give credit to McDavid for being great, but I don't think we've made him need to play great to this point.

Reactions: flames23

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yes, he's good, but my point is that he hasn't needed to do anything remarkable to get his offence.

It's like if you were playing against kids. You're bigger and faster and can do things that they can't, and if they don't adjust to that you'll be able to score at will, and it won't really feel like you've done anything remarkable.

But if the kids are organized and defend you in a way that accounts for your extra speed and strength, then you do need to go the extra step of finding ways to use your advantages and exploit them. You actually need to make great plays, not just be great.

I'm fully willing to give credit to McDavid for being great, but I don't think we've made him need to play great to this point.
I think it’s totally a debate. Is McDavid that good, or have the Flames (minus Tanev) been that bad? I do think the Flames can play him better, tougher, tighter or whatever, but to me he’s taken his game up another notch this playoffs and just imposing his will. He’s pacing to have one of the top 5 best playoffs of all time.

I absolutely hate giving him any praise whatsoever. I think all around the Flames are an infinitely better team. But I agree with Tkachuk that they're getting beat by 1 player.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Well game 3 is really on this team to prove itself yet again from Gaudreau down through the bunch. They make it easy to believe for awhile then they lose confidence, play tentative, seem slower, less skilled, weak and even injury-riddled. It's hard to watch but in fairness most every team witnesses this roller-coaster. Maybe they each need some hyperbaric chamber time. Whatever the case . . . Just hoping we flip-flop back to playing good and beating the Oilers. Whatever it is that does that.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Avs fan, haven't seen any of the games this series except for some yesterday.

I am pulling for you guys to win the series because I can't stand Edmonton "fans", but what the f*** is happening? Is this really just a Markstrom shitting the bed or is that hyperbole?

I'm a very big fan of Sutter and his kid Chris so, this isn't meant to come across as poking at you guys. Really curious what is happening from your perspectives.

Edit: Oilers got swept. They weren't good afterall.

Last edited:

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Avs fan, haven't seen any of the games this series except for some yesterday.

I am pulling for you guys to win the series because I can't stand Edmonton "fans", but what the f*** is happening? Is this really just a Markstrom shitting the bed or is that hyperbole?

I'm a very big fan of Sutter and his kid Chris so, this isn't meant to come across as poking at you guys. Really curious what is happening from your perspectives.

IMO we got rattled somewhere toward the end of the first period in game 2. Then we went on our heels and started watching McDavid. Just crazy how the whole complexion of everything seemed to change. Instead of being dominant and confident we became tentative, scared, tired-looking, sloppy etc. I mean the start last game was just unthinkable but an absolute carryover. Markstrom has been confident all season then just looks totally shot.

We can turn it around still.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
animalhouse-over.gif

we can still win. Need 80% of the team to pull their head out of their ass though. Might be Darth Vladar time.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
IMO we got rattled somewhere toward the end of the first period in game 2. Then we went on our heels and started watching McDavid. Just crazy how the whole complexion of everything seemed to change. Instead of being dominant and confident we became tentative, scared, tired-looking, sloppy etc. I mean the start last game was just unthinkable but an absolute carryover. Markstrom has been confident all season then just looks totally shot.

We can turn it around still.
Hope you do turn it around.

How are you liking Big Z? Personally, I miss him. f***er can crush people.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Hope you do turn it around.

How are you liking Big Z? Personally, I miss him. f***er can crush people.

Zad has been sort of a middle of the pack D for us.

Regular season he started horribly but turned it around by about the 30 game mark performing well overall but for a few stumbles near the end.

In the playoffs his foot speed and slowness were exposed and he took a lot of bad minor penalties against Dallas; fewer against the Oilers at just past the midpoint. Our defense as a whole has been quite abysmal so overall he's fairly decent positionally when he isn't well behind a play, has a good shot, fairly reliable with his puck handling and then does bring a physical side with a streak of nasty to him. Saying I'm happy with him is a bit tough given the state of our position in these playoffs and the difficult first round. But again, as a middle of the pack guy he's not my main lightning rod on D - don't know if that's acceptance on my part or what; him taking fewer penalties takes the bad radar off of his back.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I've seen a lot of "Kylington hasn't been good in the playoffs" or "the Flames need to scratch Kylington" and I don't understand it at all.

What's he doing that's so bad? He has the odd turnover, nothing that Hanifin or Zadorov aren't doing just as often as he is.

Seriously, these are their 5v5 on-ice stats so far these playoffs.

Goals ForGoals AgainstXGF%
Kylington6262.9
Zadorov7464.36
Hanifin3856.44 (Only Tanev is worse)

Admittedly I barely caught game 6 which was apparently his worst game but whatever you guys are seeing, I'm not seeing it.
Just because Andersson and Hanifin looked like shit

He is very weak. Tanev saved his ass.

He can be a middle or bottom pairing guy. Not someone you can depend on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad