Calgary city council approves arena deal (UPD: new deal upcoming?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I agree with this in principle. But they need to tread lightly. NBA/NHL/NFL/MLB are not afraid to rip out teams from a good market just to send a message.
They certainly do not have to tread lightly. Where are the Flames going to go? This is a seriously lucrative market the NHL would be insane to leave.

The city has to call the team's bluff and stand back. If the team leaves then our money can't be spent in other places. And we can build an arena we can actually benefit from and not have to turn everything over to a bunch of whiny, greedhead owners.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
And NBA Seatle SuperSonics.

And NHL Minnesota North Stars.
The Browns are back (Even though the city made a huge mistake in putting tax dollars into a new stadium) and Minnesota has the Wild.

Calgary will be fine if the league loses its mind and chooses another southern city over a hockey town.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
The Browns are back (Even though the city made a huge mistake in putting tax dollars into a new stadium) and Minnesota has the Wild.

Calgary will be fine if the league loses its mind and chooses another southern city over a hockey town.

The fact that the NFL would have let a team leave a place where they have been so rabidly supported for decades and football (at all levels) is a religion is what proves that leagues will screw over anyone. Although I will give MLB credit, they kept the Giants in San Francisco when it looked like Tampa Bay was a better option (obviously history shows that MLB was right). I disagree it was a mistake. Football is way too ingrained in the fabric of the culture. Cleveland without an NFL team would just wouldn't be Cleveland.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Calgary isn't being relocated.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Calgary isn't being relocated.
No but the principle remains - Situations like Cleveland teach us that there should never be tax dollars invested in sports facilities.

It's tragic that Calgary hasn't learned any lessons from evidence, experience and their own mistakes.

Our council is an embarrassment. The evidence is clear and they're ignoring it.

The arena should be paid for by private money - period. That's the only deal possible.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

muddywaters

GO FLAMES GO
Jul 12, 2006
Cedarbrae
I love the Saddledome .... too bad we can't do a reno a'la MSG ... we need more seats in the lower bowl and the roof I believe has issues and if we can't fix that build a new one ..... either way let's get this done !!!! GFG

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I love the Saddledome .... too bad we can't do a reno a'la MSG ... we need more seats in the lower bowl and the roof I believe has issues and if we can't fix that build a new one ..... either way let's get this done !!!! GFG
They can do a renovation but don't want to. The Flames want their shiny new toy and they want us suffering taxpayers to pay for everything - including overpriced American consultants we don't need.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
No but the principle remains - Situations like Cleveland teach us that there should never be tax dollars invested in sports facilities.

It's tragic that Calgary hasn't learned any lessons from evidence, experience and their own mistakes.

Our council is an embarrassment. The evidence is clear and they're ignoring it.

The arena should be paid for by private money - period. That's the only deal possible.
while I agree with you in principal, the world just doesn't work that way...

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
while I agree with you in principal, the world just doesn't work that way...
Lots of arenas are now being built and rebuilt with private money with Seattle being the latest example. The Flames should be expected to do the same. They need to leave us taxpayers alone as not everyone here in Calgary is either a Flames fan or can afford to attend events at their fancy new toy. Our tax dollars are better spent elsewhere.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Lots of arenas are now being built and rebuilt with private money with Seattle being the latest example. The Flames should be expected to do the same. They need to leave us taxpayers alone as not everyone here in Calgary is either a Flames fan or can afford to attend events at their fancy new toy. Our tax dollars are better spent elsewhere.

again, I don't disagree with you, but aside from those few exceptions, the rule is public subsidy of stadia.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
again, I don't disagree with you, but aside from those few exceptions, the rule is public subsidy of stadia.
That doesn't have to be the case here in Calgary. It has to be different here as we need tax dollars focused on rebuilding our police and fire departments and staffing outreach to our homeless and marginalized populations. Again, the billionaires need to pay for their own toys. And it doesn't cost much. $300 million is chump change to these greed heads.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Would it be better if those overpriced consultants were Canadians?
Calgary rarely hires Canadian consultants. I've run across American consultants dealing with everything from development to traffic. American means better in their thinking. And it must also mean that we don't have any city staff capable to dealing with the issues that hit their desk.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Calgary rarely hires Canadian consultants. I've run across American consultants dealing with everything from development to traffic. American means better in their thinking. And it must also mean that we don't have any city staff capable to dealing with the issues that hit their desk.

The City needs to not live in fear of the Flames subtle threats of relocating as an option if they don't get a favorable arena deal. Realistically the only option for them is Quebec City. Houston is not an option with Fertita unless the price is what he wants to pay. Portland only works if Paul Allen's sister buys the team. Salt Lake isn't a real option, nor is Hartford , nor is the league ready to approve Hamilton or any second Toronto option at this point.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
The City needs to not live in fear of the Flames subtle threats of relocating as an option if they don't get a favorable arena deal. Realistically the only option for them is Quebec City. Houston is not an option with Fertita unless the price is what he wants to pay. Portland only works if Paul Allen's sister buys the team. Salt Lake isn't a real option, nor is Hartford , nor is the league ready to approve Hamilton or any second Toronto option at this point.
Calgary is a lucrative hockey market and only a bunch of demented loons would seriously think of leaving it. This is why we have a responsibility to call their bluff and demand they build, pay for and pay taxes on their new arena.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Interesting if true.

Wonder why. They are Canadian owned.

Reactions: Stumbledore

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
That rule sucks & there's absolutely no justifiable reason that public money for pro-sports should still be a thing. The city should contribute for infrastructure, nothing else.

Moving forward, as the cost of these buildings increases dramatically, I think you'll see more cost sharing.

That doesn't have to be the case here in Calgary. It has to be different here as we need tax dollars focused on rebuilding our police and fire departments and staffing outreach to our homeless and marginalized populations. Again, the billionaires need to pay for their own toys. And it doesn't cost much. $300 million is chump change to these greed heads.
Costs of these new arenas are well above the $300 million threshold. Again, I don't disagree with you, but 99% of the time, costs are born by the taxpayers.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Moving forward, as the cost of these buildings increases dramatically, I think you'll see more cost sharing.

Costs of these new arenas are well above the $300 million threshold. Again, I don't disagree with you, but 99% of the time, costs are born by the taxpayers.
Why? How does this benefit anyone but billionaires?

Reactions: Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

$300 million is the amount the Flames are demanding from taxpayers. It's half the estimated cost of the new arena. Again, the owners can easily afford to pay the entire cost of the arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad