Cale Makar vs. 2020 1st overall pick

Which asset do you take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
a franchise player

I agree. But, I think Makar is tracking to be a franchise player too.

Lafreniere is probably going to be a 90+ point winger.

Makar was at a 70+ point pace for his rookie season as a defenceman. Career wise maybe he’ll regress, I don’t know, but I think he’s going to bring a lot of value for his position.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Same answer for Hughes, I'd take a franchise defenseman over a franchise winger any day of the week.
as someone else pointed out in that other thread, do you take an 18 year old Hedman over an 18 year old Ovi?

The comparison doesn't compare the two players by style or talent but emphasizing one being better than the other.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Makar. Easily.

Lafreniere is really good, will be a point per game player but his hype is definitely getting a bit out of hand like most 1oas

Reactions: MaKarter

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
as someone else pointed out in that other thread, do you take an 18 year old Hedman over an 18 year old Ovi?

The comparison doesn't compare the two players by style or talent but emphasizing one being better than the other.

Ovechkin is clearly in another tier than Hedman. Ovechkin vs Karlsson or Doughty is closer, and I'd probably take Karlsson over Ovechkin, maybe even Doughty for the 2008-2013 Canucks. The Canucks would have won at least one, possibly multiple cups by adding their only elite defender, I don't know if adding a 4th elite forward would have helped though.

That being said, I don't think Laf will be anything like Ovechkin. I'd take Hedman over Taylor Hall if that helps your hypothetical though.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Well Ovi is much different than Laf. But even at the draft no thought Ovi would be the greatest goal scorer of all time.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

I think it’s just a poor comparison.

We’ll see if Lafreniere can do to the league what Ovechkin did his first 5 seasons. Frankly, I doubt it.

Hedman is phenomenal now, but he took a lot longer to break out than Makar did.

I’m not even a big Ovechkin fan, but if you need a reminder for what he was like at the beginning of his career. Give this a watch.

Reactions: Garthinater

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Ovechkin is clearly in another tier than Hedman. Ovechkin vs Karlsson or Doughty is closer, and I'd probably take Karlsson over Ovechkin, maybe even Doughty for the 2008-2013 Canucks. The Canucks would have won at least one, possibly multiple cups by adding their only elite defender, I don't know if adding a 4th elite forward would have helped though.

That being said, I don't think Laf will be anything like Ovechkin. I'd take Hedman over Taylor Hall if that helps your hypothetical though.
I still think he projects better than Taylor Hall. My point is I think Laf's talent is more than enough to justify taking him.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I think it’s just a poor comparison.

We’ll see if Lafreniere can do to the league what Ovechkin did his first 5 seasons. Frankly, I doubt it.

Hedman is phenomenal now, but he took a lot longer to break out than Makar did.

I’m not even a big Ovechkin fan, but if you need a reminder for what he was like at the beginning of his career. Give this a watch.

There's a reason I wrote the last line. Because they are on different talent levels and play styles, but I wanted to emphaize what Laf can be being better enough to justify ignoring positional value.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Can't answer for the others but after seeing Makar's rookie season damn it would be hard for me to trade him. Based on what we have right that's an easy no.

Be ready Stars/Sabres fans. Next up : Heiskanen/Dahlin vs Laf ! :sarcasm:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I like how OP does not mention 1st overall 2020 as Lafreniere. Is there even a debate there?

Would have to go with Makar here.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
There's a reason I wrote the last line. Because they are on different talent levels and play styles, but I wanted to emphaize what Laf can be being better enough to justify ignoring positional value.

I’m not convinced Makar and Lafreniere are on different levels.

Reactions: AvsFan29

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I still think he projects better than Taylor Hall. My point is I think Laf's talent is more than enough to justify taking him.

He's a lot closer to Hall than Ovechkin imo. Reminder that Hall is a 90 pt Hart winning winger. Hall also scored very similarly to Lafreniere in their draft year, Laf only scored 6 more points than Hall did (112, 106), and Hall did it in a harder league.

Reactions: Voight

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
He's a lot closer to Hall than Ovechkin imo. Reminder that Hall is a 90 pt Hart winning winger. Hall also scored very similarly to Lafreniere in their draft year, Laf only scored 6 more points than Hall did (112, 106), and Hall did it in a harder league.

Laf’s got a much better hockey brain than Hall imo. Hall had better physical tools entering the league though.

Reactions: biturbo19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad