Calder Cup Finals

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I am shocked after two games at Coachella Valley, that the Hershey Bears have not scored a single goal!

In Game 1, the shots were pretty even in a 5-0 game.

In Game 2, Hershey fell apart in the second period, allowing four goals. The Bears outshot the Firebirds 33-23, but ended up conceding 2 PPGs and an unsucessful Penalty Shot. They piled up 42 PIMs to CV's 20 PIMs. In period 2, the Bears had five minors to CV's two. Team Captain Dylan McIlrath was whistled for Slashing (PPG#1), Interference (CV scored 10 seconds after it was over) and Tripping (PPG#2), which was scored 22 seconds after the penalty started. McIlrath had 18 PIMs in the game.

The next three games are scheduled for Hershey on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday at 7 PM EDT.

When Milwaukee played the Firebirds, they scored 19 goals in six games against them. If you get Joey Daccord moving side to side, he leaves a foot or more of net to shoot at.

Shepard, the Hershey goalie, goes down on his knees way too much and CV shoots over him.

Last edited:

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
I am shocked after two games at Coachella Valley, that the Hershey Bears have not scored a single goal!

In Game 1, the shots were pretty even in a 5-0 game.

In Game 2, Hershey fell apart in the second period, allowing four goals. The Bears outshot the Firebirds 33-23, but ended up conceding 2 PPGs and an unsucessful Penalty Shot. They piled up 42 PIMs to CV's 20 PIMs. In period 2, the Bears had five minors to CV's two. Team Captain Dylan McIlrath was whistled for Slashing (PPG#1), Interference (CV scored 10 seconds after it was over) and Tripping (PPG#2), which was scored 22 seconds after the penalty started. McIlrath had 18 PIMs in the game.

The next three games are scheduled for Hershey on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday at 7 PM EDT.

When Milwaukee played the Firebirds, they scored 19 goals in six games against them. If you get Joey Daccord moving side to side, he leaves a foot or more of net to shoot at.

Shepard, the Hershey goalie, goes down on his knees way too much and CV shoots over him.
Ads...Come on is this really a surprise to you...We've seen this version of Mcilrath for years...I really believe that the disparity in the games has been due to the quick turnaround for CV...they were on a roll and just kept going, Didn't hershey have to sit around for a few extra days? Not too mention the travel? It can't be easy to get to CV from Heshey. I know CV chartered during the series with Milwaukee...Hershey...who knows

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Ads...Come on is this really a surprise to you...We've seen this version of Mcilrath for years...I really believe that the disparity in the games has been due to the quick turnaround for CV...they were on a roll and just kept going, Didn't hershey have to sit around for a few extra days? Not too mention the travel? It can't be easy to get to CV from Heshey. I know CV chartered during the series with Milwaukee...Hershey...who knows
Hershey probably bused back and forth to Rochester. It is a 4.5 hour drive. I have never gone that way other than Rochester to Corning on I-390 and I-86. I did drive Syracuse to Wilkes-Barre and Hershey on the way to Virginia once. I-81 was pretty smooth back in the day.

I checked, Axe. The Amerks were eliminated three days before Milwaukee. You can fly from Harrisburg to Philly or Chicago or Atlanta.

About 25 years ago, I went to Palm Springs (Indian Wells) by flying from Milwaukee to Ontario, then driving about 90 minutes east on I-10 into the desert. When you get to Whitewater, you see hundreds of wind turbines on both sides of the road. It was a lot cheaper than flying into Palm Springs and much less traffic than going to LAX.

The CV charter explains the two dozen fans that came with the team to Milwaukee.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The Hershey Bears won 5-4 in OT after CV tied the game in the last minute of regulation. That was the last of 3 CV goals in period 3.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine

According Patrick Williams, Hershey chartered a flight to Coachella Valley. They arrived Thursday before Game 1 and left after Game 2.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Is the NHL Network showing Game 5 tonight? If not, I'm bummed, I wanted to watch.
NBC Sports Washington has been showing the games in the DC area, and the Monumental Network has supposedly been airing the games online.

Not sure what the plan is for game six in Coachella Valley, with the Bears now up 3-2. I believe they aired the Hershey affiliate feed in DC for those games as well. I'd maybe check NBC Sports Washington online or Monumental.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Hershey 1-0 ten minutes into overtime to win Game 5. The Bears won all 3 games it home. I heard that CV had to change hotels for Game 5. They moved 40 minutes away. I wonder if that has a negative affect on the team?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
CV winning 5-2 halfway through Period 3 in Game 6. They had 3 goals on 9 shots in Period 1.

It looks like the series is headed to Game 7 on Wednesday 6-21-23 at 7 PM PDT.

So far, the home team has won all of the games played in the Calder Cup Finals.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
Important broadcasting item for people following the Calder Cup Finals - Game 7 will be available via streaming FOR FREE at AHL TV.

By my count, the following channels/streaming services will all broadcast Hershey/Coachella Valley Game 7:

*AHL TV (likely Coachella Valley broadcast)
*NHL Network (Coachella Valley broadcast)
*KDFX Channel 33.2 (cable channel 11), Palm Springs, CA (Coachella Valley broadcast)
*WPMT Channel 43, York, PA (Hershey broadcast)
*NBC Sports Washington (Hershey broadcast)

Game 7 will start shortly after 10 PM ET/7 PM PT on Wednesday night (June 21st).

Reactions: Crosstraffic

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
CV 1-0 after one period. The SOG were 17-12 for CV. The Firebirds are usually a strong 2nd period team, so Hershey will have to up their game!

CV scored in the first minute of period 2 to take a 2-0 lead.
Hershey scored a PPG about 14 minutes into the period and another ES goal 3 minutes later.

With 7 minutes remaining in period 3, the score is still tied at 2-2. Hershey led in SOG 9-4, but neither team scored in period 3.

The game is 5 minutes Into OT. Now 12 minutes into OT. I am turning into a pumpkin!

Edit: Hershey scored 16 minutes into OT to win 3-2 and win their 12th Calder Cup.

Congrats to the Bears and their fans!

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
wrong thread but since I'm here, great game to watch, really impressed with those guys

Reactions: adsfan

Crosstraffic

Mar 15, 2015
Yorba Linda, CA
I went to the game last night, congrats to Hershey on the comeback down 2-0. The Firebirds never changed their offensive attack as the game went on, and Hershey shut the door the second half of the game. Coachella Valley fans need to lay off the "ref you suck" chant.

Reactions: swansonsays

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
Thought they were getting swept right up until they won game 3 in OT.
Apparently Coachella expected a short stay in PA as well, they only booked a hotel for Games 3 & 4, then had to scramble to find separate hotels a good distance away from Hershey so they could stay for Game 5.

Not the best planning on their part. Some would say arrogantly presumptive as well.

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
Apparently Coachella expected a short stay in PA as well, they only booked a hotel for Games 3 & 4, then had to scramble to find separate hotels a good distance away from Hershey so they could stay for Game 5.

Not the best planning on their part. Some would say arrogantly presumptive as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad