GDT: Calder Cup Finals Game 2 | Grand Rapids Griffins @ Syracuse Crunch | June 9 | 6:00 PM

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'd love to see this kind of speed up in the NHL.

The only team I thought could match their speed in the AHL was Syracuse and they are a step faster. I don't think it will be as pronounced at the next level, but it is exciting to see for sure.

Ferraro, Mursak (leaving of course), Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, and even Glendening and Jurco are all plus skaters. Jurco's skating improvement over the course of this season is very exciting.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I really think we got something good with Jurco. He had to adjust to the AHL style this season, but now he's putting up the goals.

Oct 18, 2006
Gonna really miss Mursak. :( He's playing so hard, what a goal by him tonight.

He's a +26 in 42 games with GR this season. People underestimate how defensively sound he is.

And Jurco is a fantastic prospect.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I really think we got something good with Jurco. He had to adjust to the AHL style this season, but now he's putting up the goals.

6'2" + fast + offensively gifted

When we do our prospect ratings I am going to be campaigning to have him leap-frog some guys ahead of him.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
GR is just flat out better than the Crunch honestly. They move the puck out of the zone so well its awesome.

Jurco, Tatar, Nyquist better stay in this organization for a long time.

Also, met Nyquist after the game. Signed a Wings puck for me and got a picture with him, he is a great/nice guy off the ice, like him even more!

Cbdudek

May 15, 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
www.nightfall.net
What a strange game. I watched the whole thing and man there were some strange goals, the refs made some mistakes for sure, but the Griffins won. They were the better team the last two games. Now Syracuse has to win 2 of the next 3 in Grand Rapids. Not impossible, but not easy either. Especially with the way the Griffins have been playing.

I have my tickets for Wednesday already. Go Griffins!

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

6'2" + fast + offensively gifted

When we do our prospect ratings I am going to be campaigning to have him leap-frog some guys ahead of him.

He's been one of my favorite prospects for awhile now, I'll admit I was a bit nervous when he really struggled but I couldn't be happier to see him hit his stride now. I am beyond excited to see what he can do with an expanded role in GR next year, but from the looks of his recent play he is a keeper.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Gonna really miss Mursak. :( He's playing so hard, what a goal by him tonight.

He's a +26 in 42 games with GR this season. People underestimate how defensively sound he is.

And Jurco is a fantastic prospect.

if he has a good season in khl maybe we sign him again...

DatsyukianDeke*

I think he is pretty much done with Babcock. I predict Mursak joining Dallas Stars after tha KHL year. They'll need depth and Jim Nill knows him too well...

I'm worried Nill will go after Blashill to be honest.

ebis

Dec 10, 2012
Czech Republic
Jurco about the Panik situation:

"I was letting the puck go into the net, I didn't want to finish a teammate's goal. I think you shouldn't do that if the puck is heading into an empty net. The player who shot it deserves the goal. It hit the post at the last moment. I suddenly stopped because I was surprised, I thought it was going in. I turned around and tried to finish it. At first I didn't even know it was Rišo (Panik). I got hit and fell down. Luckily I'm fine, I walked it off and continued. That's hockey, it happens, I think it was a regular hit."

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
How has DeKeyser looked in the 2 games?

Not bad, not great either. Seemed to finally be warming up about half way through yesterdays games. He has made some turnovers and blown some coverage, but he is rusty and that shows. Cannot honestly say how much the thumb is impacting that, his passing doesn't look quite as forceful, so maybe that is a part of it. Certainly an upgrade for this lineup, probably the second best D-man yesterday behind Paetsch.

Jurco about the Panik situation:

"I was letting the puck go into the net, I didn't want to finish a teammate's goal. I think you shouldn't do that if the puck is heading into an empty net. The player who shot it deserves the goal. It hit the post at the last moment. I suddenly stopped because I was surprised, I thought it was going in. I turned around and tried to finish it. At first I didn't even know it was Rišo (Panik). I got hit and fell down. Luckily I'm fine, I walked it off and continued. That's hockey, it happens, I think it was a regular hit."

He cannot let the puck travel into the net there in that situation. I was hoping that would be the first thing he would say, that lesson needed to be learned.

I actually didn't really have a problem with that hit, despite what most people say it still fits the definition of charging because he really took a lot of strides to get there regardless of leaving his feet. But with Jurco okay, hoping he learned the more important part of what went wrong on that play and why he got crushed. This is a finals game, even Frankie Pare isn't going to care if you bat that puck in, he would do the reverse to you.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad