Calder Cup Final: Grand Rapids Griffins vs Syracuse Crunch

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Was a topic seriously not made yet?

Anyway, Griffins took game one last night by winning 3-1 in Syracuse, and game two's later tonight.

All games are being streamed live, and for free, here:

http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/

Just need to register an account with an email address and the promo code "Calder2013," and don't need to enter any credit card info.

Only watched a bit of the game before the Hawks/Kings game last night, so can't really give any details about how both teams played beyond who won.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Grand Rapids up 2-0 now.

Really thought Syracuse wasn't going to have many problems in the East, and they didn't, but looks like Grand Rapids pulled together and reloaded for bear at just the right time.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Grand Rapids up 2-0 now.

Really thought Syracuse wasn't going to have many problems in the East, and they didn't, but looks like Grand Rapids pulled together and reloaded for bear at just the right time.

Got the addition of Nyquist and Andersson right where they needed it the most. The two series against Aeros and Marlies went too far imo, GR should've dismissed those teams faster based on how the ice was tilted. In the middle of the OKC series you kinda felt that they were maybe starting to get a little worn out from playing a lot of games, but then got the shot in the arm they needed prior to game 4.

Maybe handling that adversity in the previous series is helping GR here, this Syracuse/Norfolk team hasn't met adversity for two years. Of course this is far from over.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I don't really have a stake in this series, but just curious: how was the play not stopped when it was clear Almquist was down and out after the Panik hit? Usually you'd expect there to be a whistle - in the NHL at least.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't really have a stake in this series, but just curious: how was the play not stopped when it was clear Almquist was down and out after the Panik hit? Usually you'd expect there to be a whistle - in the NHL at least.

Can go either way, they deemed him not to be in serious danger. Considering it is now clear Almqvist suffered a head injury and was not moving in the corner that is the wrong call. Oh well, that is up to the Refs discretion, the Griffins bench certainly weren't fans yelling from the bench even before the goal that the play needed to stop.

The officiating throughout the series hasn't been very good, really par for the course there.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Can go either way, they deemed him not to be in serious danger. Considering it is now clear Almqvist suffered a head injury and was not moving in the corner that is the wrong call. Oh well, that is up to the Refs discretion, the Griffins bench certainly weren't fans yelling from the bench even before the goal that the play needed to stop.

The officiating throughout the series hasn't been very good, really par for the course there.

I see. You're certainly calmer than I'd probably have been had it been my own team's promising young D prospect. :laugh:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Grand Rapids would be the 4th and last of the former IHL teams to win the Calder Cup. Manitoba and Salt Lake City both relocated. Houston is moving for next year.
Chicago 2001-02, Houston in 2003 and Milwaukee in 2004 were Cup winners.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
AHLPR 5:41pm via TweetDeck
.@griffinshockey with 20 shots in the second period tonight, most in the middle frame of any #CalderCup Playoff game this postseason

Bizarro Bandwagoner

Jan 30, 2010
Maine
I wonder if the difference in games played is starting to catch up with the Griffins now. Also, it sounded like Gudas could be close to returning from what the Syracuse announcers were saying last night. That certainly would help the Crunch.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Detroit Red Wings and their overrated prospects at Grand Rapids win the AHL Championship. :nod:

What does HF Boards say now? Still overrated?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad