Cake Makar: As Talented as Nathan Mackinnon?

What is Makar’s potential as an overall talent compared to MacKinnon?

• Total voters

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
MacKinnon has a freakish athleticism Makar doesn't have but I think Makar thinks the game better. His anticipation is exceptional.

It usually takes defenders a few years to figure things out and if Makar takes small steps forward the coming years, he'll be high in the Norris voting just as MacKinnon is high in the Hart voting.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
MacKinnon has a freakish athleticism Makar doesn't have but I think Makar thinks the game better. His anticipation is exceptional.

It usually takes defenders a few years to figure things out and if Makar takes small steps forward the coming years, he'll be high in the Norris voting just as MacKinnon is high in the Hart voting.

I feel the same. Makar does WAY less stupid thing (negative plays) than Mack at the same age or even today. That has to be considered when you're talking overall package.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He certainly sees the game better than Mackinnon. His hands, quickness and shot are all better than Mackinnon's was at his age but he doesn't have anywhere near Mackinnon's power which is what makes Nate so unique compared to other high speed players.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'll say equal potential, but MacKinnon is so much further ahead right now. MacKinnon is legitimately a candidate for top 3 in the league, even #2. I'm not sure who I'd have ahead, aside from McDavid. Makar has a long ways to go, but in terms of pure potential, he's got everything you could ask for.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Center is the more impactful position so Makar will never be as impactful as MacKinnon if that’s what you’re asking.
Even though Mack had more points than Makar last game against the Wings. Makar was easily the most impactful player. Man on the PP well when he shoots the puck from the blue line it seems to me that every time it goes through everyone and find the net/goalie. That’s what Makar is so good at finding lanes which we saw a glimpse in the playoffs (Landy’s goal in OT against SJ). First goal he found a lane to shoot which Kadri tipped on the first goal. Then managed to completely leave Mack open because defenders doesn’t know if he will shoot, pass or skate around the offensive zone which led to Mack’s wide open then 2-1. Of course it was just one game and it was against the Wings but if he can do that in his first season damn we can wonder what he will do at his peak.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think they're extremely similar. I think you can make an argument for them being the most athletic forward and D in the league.

BDG123

Dec 2, 2013
Vancouver

According to my buddy who scouts for Colorado, Makar might be faster than Mackinnon.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I honestly think he has more potential.

He pretty much has every single skill Mackinnon has... Speed, Puck handling, shot, wild card ability, physical side. The one area he's maybe ever so slightly behind Mack in is that physical game. Neither guy uses it much but when Mack gets pissed off he can turn into an absolute bull in a china shop as the New Jersey Devils found out a couple weeks ago. Dude is a freight train and will lay the body if he's mad. Makar has thrown some big hits himself already in the NHL but I dont think he quite has that physical element Mack has when he lets loose.

However, the one major asset Makar has over Mack.... His brain. Makar thinks the game at about as high of a level as you can possibly think it. Mackinnon isn't on that level.

It's Cales brain, combined with the speed and skill he has that leads me to truly believe if everything comes together for him like it has with Mack, that he ends up an even better player. Like, 2-3 time Norris trophy winner, first ballot Hall of Fame type of upside in his game. The fact he's on pace to have a rookie season not matched in 30 years for a Dman speaks to the kind of skill and upside he has.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
We wouldn’t have even said MacKinnon had MacKinnon potential 5 years ago. Mackinnon will almost assuredly have a better career than Makar, but Makar’s upside is in that range. He could be this generation’s Karlsson. That’s pretty high upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad