News Article: Caggiula Suspended for 1 Game For Hit to Tyler Ennis Head

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
My (faint) hope is that the Hawks play a little more tentative with Caggiula out. He's one of their more physical presences and injects energy into their lineup. We'll see.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
What a brutal no call from the refs on that one.
Whenever a major penalty is missed that results in a suspension, the other team should have the option to accept the suspension or receive a 5 minute PP for that player to use at their choice over the remainder of the series.

Who cares about a bottom-6 player missing a game? The Hawks would care if the Oilers had a 5 minute PP in their pocket.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
My (faint) hope is that the Hawks play a little more tentative with Caggiula out. He's one of their more physical presences and injects energy into their lineup. We'll see.

Cagg was a solid player for us in the 2017 playoffs. I think he played a bit with Mcdavid and maybe even Drai too in that stretch. Decent skater and tenacious/feisty. More of a playoff contributor than reg season.

What an awful trade. I still have no idea why Chia did that. At least trade a draft pick. Cagg was a solid role player. Was there any word as to whether it was because they did not want Cagg in the room anymore? I thought he was well liked.

Reactions: bucks_oil

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Cagg was a solid player for us in the 2017 playoffs. I think he played a bit with Mcdavid and maybe even Drai too in that stretch. Decent skater and tenacious/feisty. More of a playoff contributor than reg season.

What an awful trade. I still have no idea why Chia did that. At least trade a draft pick. Cagg was a solid role player. Was there any word as to whether it was because they did not want Cagg in the room anymore? I thought he was well liked.

He was McDavid's roommate and one of his best freinds.

North

Jun 25, 2009

Chia had long coveted Manning.

The funny thing is Manning was being healthy scratched by the Hawks.

When Chia came sniffing, the Hawks made it clear they wanted Caggiula in return. The Hawks had wanted to sign Caggiula out of college.

Rather than say get stuffed, Chia agreed to the swap.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Chia had long coveted Manning.

The funny thing is Manning was being healthy scratched by the Hawks.

When Chia came sniffing, the Hawks made it clear they wanted Caggiula in return. The Hawks had wanted to sign Caggiula out of college.

Rather than say get stuffed, Chia agreed to the swap.

Thanks, huh, so it was just plain and simple incompetence from Chia. I wanted to give him a bit of benefit of the doubt with the Griffin Reinhart trade (because it was likely due to green's suggestion) but dam, do your research chia. It's like he doesn't even go scout a player for a while before obtaining him and goes by outdated reports or viewings of the player.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Cags had some of the worst on-ice numbers on the Oilers. Team got absolutely crushed on multiple metrics while he was on the ice, but his GF/GA was awful with everyone. He was a bit better last year but this season he even managed to make Kane a net negative. Even Toews can't make him a positive. Problem was not trading Cags, problem was the return. I like the guy personally but this is a player you want on the ice as much as possible if you are the Oilers.

Reactions: Oilhawks

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Cags had some of the worst on-ice numbers on the Oilers. Team got absolutely crushed on multiple metrics while he was on the ice, but his GF/GA was awful with everyone. He was a bit better last year but this season he even managed to make Kane a net negative. Even Toews can't make him a positive. Problem was not trading Cags, problem was the return. I like the guy personally but this is a player you want on the ice as much as possible if you are the Oilers.
He had issues for sure, but we literally had no one scoring for us. He still ended up 7th in GF for this club while only playing 29 games.

PC answer was to just keep throwing more unestablished players in. 23 forwards used that year. Instead of finding a way to drop Caggiula's time he just put more pressure on everyone else by moving him and having to resort to another lessor player playing.

As for GF/GA Toews himself wasn't even a plus this year.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I agree with this.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

One of the problems with Cagguila here was that McLellan played him too high in the lineup (which is partially the GM's fault because of lack of depth). I think hes an fine energy 4th line player. The guy competes hard and plays hard but he is awful defensively, he makes so many mistakes. Maybe if he was playing with strong defensive players he could be a third line player because his offense isnt bad. My big issue with the guy is that for the offense that he brings, he gives it all back and more on the defensive side plus more. Its like would you rather have a player who is 5 GF and 5 GA or 10 GF and 20 GA. I feel people see the 10G but ignore the 20GA part.

Reactions: Oilhawks and AT14C

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Drake was a good utility guy. We just had too many players like him. If he can learn PK he can have a long NHL career ala Archibald. If not then he is another depth player.
He just became a daddy so hopefully McDaddy can get him reunited with his family by the end of this week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad