Cage vs Half Visor

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
how bad are fishbowls in terms of fogging up? i've heard they get pretty bad.

i play with a half visor and would prefer to switch to full protection but i just can't get the hang of playing with a cage on. it's tough to go back to a cage when you've been playing with a visor for so long

For me, not bad at all. Generally no worse than having to peek through cage bars. It can fog from time to time but goes away pretty fast if you're moving. One of the things I do is wash the shield with soap before a game. The cleaner the shield the more difficult it will be for condensation to form. Also I bring a towel to the bench just in case I need to wipe the shield off. But don't use it too often.

Otherwise, IMHO, regardless of fogging issues, still miles ahead of a cage in my eyes.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Had to find out there hard way... emergency dental bills are not cheap.

Wore a visor throughout my junior career and never lost any jibs, just took a couple sticks to the face. Played men's league after my junior career ended and kept my visor on. I caught a stick on a follow threw and lost some teeth. When your playing with less expirenced hockey players, I would stay away from a visor. I wear a bubble now. Mostly cause I think it's funny :laugh:

Similar but no teeth.

Cage for me.

Have 7 stitches in my cheek from someone who lost balance and their stick came up when I had just a visor on.

TheLokNesMonster

Sep 11, 2005
St. Paul, Minnesota
Most people involved in this debate are trying to sell themselves on their own decision, as much as they are trying to convince the other person with a different opinion.

One side tries to shame another for caring about how they look on the ice, or taking some risk so they can perform better. The other considers you a sissy for padding up. Why? There is nothing wrong with caring how you look out there, feeling that one method of protection allows for better performance, or wanting to walk out of the rink in one piece so you can play again next time.

The elements involved in this discussion are primarily looks, safety, performance, comfort, functionality, cost, convenience, etc; in no particular order of importance.

It is up to the individual to prioritize those elements, and not judge another person for putting things in a different order.

Goodwith Sticks

May 11, 2004
Vancouver
Most people involved in this debate are trying to sell themselves on their own decision, as much as they are trying to convince the other person with a different opinion.

One side tries to shame another for caring about how they look on the ice, or taking some risk so they can perform better. The other considers you a sissy for padding up. Why? There is nothing wrong with caring how you look out there, feeling that one method of protection allows for better performance, or wanting to walk out of the rink in one piece so you can play again next time.

The elements involved in this discussion are primarily looks, safety, performance, comfort, functionality, cost, convenience, etc; in no particular order of importance.

It is up to the individual to prioritize those elements, and not judge another person for putting things in a different order.

Yeah, well said. :handclap:

I've been a long time visor guy who just plays beer league, but our games are still pretty competitive. In the last year there's been more than a few facial cuts and a chiclet incident in our games and one guy got cut good by a skate to the chin and so I've decided to go back to the cage. Same as a lot of sentiments expressed here - I'm a 43 yr old family guy, office job and even though I have full medical n dental I don't wanna deal with that. I like the visor and it definitely 'looks cooler' but shoot, I'm playing at 10 at night and there's next to nobody there :laugh:

I ponied up a $100 and got the CCM FitLite titanium cage. It is SO incredibly light and flat horizontal bars make vision way better. I've adjusted to it just fine after a few weeks and I totally recommend this cage even though it's pricey.

TheLokNesMonster

Sep 11, 2005
St. Paul, Minnesota
Yeah, well said. :handclap:

I've been a long time visor guy who just plays beer league, but our games are still pretty competitive. In the last year there's been more than a few facial cuts and a chiclet incident in our games and one guy got cut good by a skate to the chin and so I've decided to go back to the cage. Same as a lot of sentiments expressed here - I'm a 43 yr old family guy, office job and even though I have full medical n dental I don't wanna deal with that. I like the visor and it definitely 'looks cooler' but shoot, I'm playing at 10 at night and there's next to nobody there :laugh:

I ponied up a $100 and got the CCM FitLite titanium cage. It is SO incredibly light and flat horizontal bars make vision way better. I've adjusted to it just fine after a few weeks and I totally recommend this cage even though it's pricey.

Somewhat similar story here blackbird5.

I've played hockey continuously since I was four, so that's nearly 50 years now. I have never seen anybody get cut or lose teeth, and it has never happened to me. In fact, I've never even had any close calls.

But I have been reading this message board, and the MSH board, and everybody seems to have either experienced something grisly, or at least, witnessed it. It has made me do a lot of thinking.

I bought a reakt cage a couple months back, and also bought an Avision full shield. I tried the cage once, and I was completely disoriented. The fishbowl came today, and I put it on my helmet, and have to say with all frankness, that it is the ugliest damn thing I have ever seen. But that doesn't mean it won't do the job.

So I will try it out at a stick time. Probably try the cage several times again too. Maybe I can get used to one or the other, and be comfortable enough to use them some day on a regular basis.

But I also wonder if my ability to avoid the errant stick and puck is because I can see and anticipate better with a visor. Who knows? I do know that I wasn't myself the first time I had my head encased in a cage. I felt like I was about to crash into everybody, and then into the boards. It was a very uncomfortable and claustrophobic feeling.

If I can't overcome that, then I am much safer in a visor.

Last edited:

Goodwith Sticks

May 11, 2004
Vancouver
also bought an Avision full shield. I tried the cage once, and I was completely disoriented. The fishbowl came today, and I put it on my helmet, and have to say with all frankness, that it the ugliest damn thing I have ever seen. But that doesn't mean it won't do the job.

But I also wonder if my ability to avoid the errant stick and puck is because I can see and anticipate better with a visor. Who knows? I do know that I wasn't myself the first time I had my head encased in a cage. I felt like I was about to crash into everybody, and then into the boards. It was a very uncomfortable and claustrophobic feeling.

If I can't overcome that, then I am much safer in a visor.

Yeah, I've seen those. They are a lil' freakish looking but performance-wise it's probably really good.

^ I felt disoriented like that for about 2 games. Then it was pretty much fine again, and I hadn't worn one since I played in Uni, which was nearly 20 years ago. I don't know if maybe the matte-like finish of the titanium helps some too, but I don't mind the view at all. I have an old Bauer 4500 with nothing on it that I'll wear for shinny with buddies and SnP, but I'm going to wear the cage for league games from now on.

Hope one of them works out for ya! Enjoy your hockey!

Last edited:

Jisatsu

May 17, 2013
I took the cage off in 1997 and haven't gone back. I go back and forth from visor to nothing, depending on the league or group I'm playing with. The older guys with lots of experience tend to keep their sticks and shots down, so usually I play without anything against them. The visor is almost necessary in any men's league though. I go through about 1-2 visors a season due to scratches and what not. Don't go cheap on the visor, but realize that if you play hard, you will scratch it up pretty quickly, so don't expect your $80+ visor to hold up forever.

Also be very aware of where other players are, and what is going on around you while wearing a visor. Try and protect your chin with your free hand whenever possible. And prepare yourself to be hit with a stray puck or stick occasionally. It will happen at some point. If you are okay with losing a tooth or worse, then go ahead and switch.

Just remember, play safe and keep your head up.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
About a year ago I took a puck to the eye(no visor) and got 6 stitches. I don't mind the pain, walking around with a black eye for a week, or the scar(very minimal) but even with insurance it cost me $800.

Happy I learned my lesson on a pretty minimal laceration, then by having teeth knocked out.

Been working cage ever since(still wear no helmet playing pickup roller but....) but want to go hybrid visor cage.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
About a year ago I took a puck to the eye(no visor) and got 6 stitches. I don't mind the pain, walking around with a black eye for a week, or the scar(very minimal) but even with insurance it cost me $800.

Happy I learned my lesson on a pretty minimal laceration, then by having teeth knocked out.

Been working cage ever since(still wear no helmet playing pickup roller but....) but want to go hybrid visor cage.

About 7 or 8 years ago, I had a puck ride up my stick and under my visor and cut my eyelid for 5 stitches - almost permanently damaged a tear duct. Visors are still a risk. I will keep wearing mine until I no longer feel safe. Luckily stuff like that (stitches, etc.) didn't cost me anything. :)

American in Paris

Feb 15, 2013

I had a hybrid visor cage for years. It's OK. But between the fogging and extra weight (they're surprisingly heavy) it got old. Now I have a titanium cage and it's pretty great. You don't even notice it after a few games.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Having worn a cage my whole life, except in high school and one year of college when I had the old iTech full face shield, I laugh when I hear people talking about a cage obscuring their view. I don't even notice the bars and never have, even when going back to a cage.

IME

Feb 21, 2008
The Cloud
I like my face more than I like any marginal increase in performance.

The way I see it is that if the cage is hampering my play, there are a million other things I can do to get better without risking mouth/face/eye damage.

I've been hit in the face playing ball hockey enough times to know that when **** happens, it happens in a blink of an eye (no pun intended) and is unavoidable. No sense taking that risk on the ice.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Considering Ive been smashed in the face twice this season, I'll stick to full cage.

I don't know how any rec league player doesn't wear a full cage.,

Dog

Considering Ive been smashed in the face twice this season, I'll stick to full cage.

I don't know how any rec league player doesn't wear a full cage.,

I agree

My buddies make fun of me for not getting a visor, but I don't see the reason. I've always played with a cage. Never know when a stick could come up near your face or even a skate in rare instances. I'll gladly keep wearing my cage.

TheLokNesMonster

Sep 11, 2005
St. Paul, Minnesota
After a couple of stick and pucks with the Reakt cage, I am accustomed to it.

I was goofing around with my nephew and we were doing a lot of one on one's and passing stuff, so I got a decent sense of game situations. I am going to wear this from now on for pick up, and certainly for more intense rec games.

I returned the Avision junior shield. I never tried it on the ice, but just walking around the house, I didn't care for the fit, comfort, or view from inside the helmet. It hung a little low creating a distracting barrier on top, and the mask portion was too thick, obscuring any peripheral vision below. This would have been amplified on the ice, and it simply didn't give any advantage over the cage.

And...I thought it looked awful on my Easton E700, which looks kind of blocky to begin with. It was a combination where, if I end up in hell, I will be forced to wear it, and watch the game highlights on a giant TV screen. The Reakt BTW is mounted on a Reakt helmet. Very nice and comfortable combo, and I feel safer.

I will still wear the half visor for stick and puck. And for pond hockey, I will wear the toque. But I am a cage convert from here on out.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I play defense at open hockey/leagues. I will always wear a cage. If you are cherry picking all the time, you could probably get away with a visor.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
When I was in college, the town rink would have $1 pickup at lunch time. The school's rink required full cages, but the town rink just required a helmet. So, when I picked up an extra bucket, I took the cage off and started wearing that at pickup at the town rink.

Then a few years later I was back home and playing pickup when I took a stick just above my eye and required stitches.

After getting stitched up I went right to a LHS and bought a cage. I haven't taken it off since.

I even got clipped by a kid above the eye when coaching a few years ago and picked up a cheap visor for my coaching helmet. I'll take the jokes about looking like Ovy because it's tinted because it was so cheap.

:laugh:

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there is something like a cats eye mask for player cages? I've been flirting with taking my visor off and getting a cage.

I took a long time trying to get used to the straight bar mask that came on the goalie mask I started with. I upgraded the mask to something a bit more solid that came with a cats eye, and it was night and day from the old straight bar.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there is something like a cats eye mask for player cages? I've been flirting with taking my visor off and getting a cage.

I've seen players snip a couple of crossbars off their cages so they can see better. Like a cat's eye, it opens up a gap wide enough for something to poke through.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"

Well said. Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing.

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I'm using the Re-Akt cage because I hate the weight of steel cages, but if they made a hybrid shield using titanium instead of steel, I'd definitely get one.

I was thinking the same thing when I got mine, but the RE-AKT is so dam good with visibility that I don't even notice the bars that much anymore. Plus, the airflow of a cage is like wearing nothing and is better than even just my visor I sometimes use on my other helmet. The RE-AKT is really the best option for saving your face without noticing it, especially on an Easton E700 helmet for the lightest combo possible.

I used to use the Aviation Ahead full shield for a season, great visibility looking through the visor part, not so much looking down. I used anti fog spray so it didn't fog up really, but it did run hot inside so I had to take it off between some shifts. I then modified it by drilling some small holes in the plastic frame and even a few strategic places on the visor lens near the sides and rear. It helped, but it always ran hotter compared to any other setup I've tried. Avision Ahead used to make a hybrid visor / cage combo long ago, but I never tried it since it was discontinued. I assume it was similar to the hybrid shield from Bauer, probaby heavy.

I would try a hybrid sheild / titanium cage combo, but I just don't see any manufacturer bothering since titanium cages from Bauer and now CCM are so light and thin.

Last edited:

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I was thinking the same thing when I got mine, but the RE-AKT is so dam good with visibility that I don't even notice the bars that much anymore. Plus, the airflow of a cage is like wearing nothing and is better than even just my visor I sometimes use on my other helmet. The RE-AKT is really the best option for saving your face without noticing it, especially on an Easton E700 helmet for the lightest combo possible.

I used to use the Aviation Ahead full shield for a season, great visibility looking through the visor part, not so much looking down. I used anti fog spray so it didn't fog up really, but it did run hot inside so I had to take it off between some shifts. I then modified it by drilling some small holes in the plastic frame and even a few strategic places on the visor lens near the sides and rear. It helped, but it always ran hotter compared to any other setup I've tried. Avision Ahead used to make a hybrid visor / cage combo long ago, but I never tried it since it was discontinued. I assume it was similar to the hybrid shield from Bauer, probaby heavy.

I would try a hybrid sheild / titanium cage combo, but I just don't see any manufacturer bothering since titanium cages from Bauer and now CCM are so light and thin.
I imagine it would be even more expensive than the Re-Akt too so it might be hard to sell.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
I wear a cage and a weird thing happened last night during a game. Opponent was clearing the puck and I was in front of him. A piece of ice flew off his stick, through the cage, and right into my eye. It hurt like hell. Pretty ironic that I would have been better off wearing a visor in that scenario

hitman9172

Sep 30, 2006
Started with a cage, but the bars were really annoying.

Switched to a visor for 3 months, which felt awesome, but became too scared to lose a tooth.

Switched to a fishbowl full face shield, but it fogged up like crazy whenever I'd stop moving, so only used it twice.

Switched back to a cage now and don't even notice the bars..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad