Cablecams in some arenas?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Didn't they use one for the All-Star game for some shots?

All-Star 2007 used a HD rail cam set up at the top of the glass (on the official's side of the rink).

I recall playoff games circa 2003 using the cable system.

2004 (playoffs, All-Star game?) they used a predessor of the HD rail cam. (Poor lighting -- lens not properly adjusted to compensate.)

Seat16inNJ

I had an interesting thought today. What if they got a cablecam system to work indoors for NHL games?

Its a big hit in the NFL.

Is it even possible?

Of course its possible my friend, but this is the problem. In the NFL you always see that the camera is set up about 7-10 yards behind the quarterback. Now you have a 99.9% chance the ball is never going to fly backwards and hit the camera and disrupt a play.

In the NHL, you can be folllowing a player with the puck, and it gets chipped out of the zone, and bam smashes the camera, interferes with play. Someones on a powerplay, a defenseman clears it, and nails the camera.

Dont get me wrong its a good idea, but the camera would have to be pretty high, runnng just under the scoreboard. with good zooming and resolution features.

DevFan-RU-

Aug 28, 2006
Morristown, NJ
www.battleofny.com
If they could figure it out, by setting a system up properly, it would really give a great view of the action. Imagine following a guy like Crosby or Ovechkin from behind as they take the puck coast to coast deking through the other players.

If done properly, it could be intense to watch.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Of course its possible my friend, but this is the problem. In the NFL you always see that the camera is set up about 7-10 yards behind the quarterback. Now you have a 99.9% chance the ball is never going to fly backwards and hit the camera and disrupt a play.

In the NHL, you can be folllowing a player with the puck, and it gets chipped out of the zone, and bam smashes the camera, interferes with play. Someones on a powerplay, a defenseman clears it, and nails the camera.

Dont get me wrong its a good idea, but the camera would have to be pretty high, runnng just under the scoreboard. with good zooming and resolution features.
Too continue with your thought, play shifts directions and proceeds from one portion of the ice to another relatively quickly.

I wouldn't mind it as an alternative angle to use while a team is set up on the power play, on a rush, or to provide, the almost impossible, NHL 93 view. That camera would have to zip pretty fast along the guide wire to catch as many opportunites as possible.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
i might be in the minority, but i would love to see this on a regular basis, especially on the power play.

http://www.skycam.tv/folders.asp?action=display&record=3
that vid is awesome. However, getting in the way of the puck is a problem. I'm pretty sure it happened in Calgary in 2004 finals when the puck hit the camera, and play was blown dead.

That's the only drawback I think. If control could be like what it was in the vid, especially used for replays. I would embrace it 100%

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
It was used in the 2003 Finals, I remember finding it distracting as it kept going right over the top of my head in the stands. Like others have said those things don't work for hockey because the game is too fast, the cameras can't keep up with the acton and the result of them trying to makes the viewers sick. It works in football because you know the direction the play is going to, same thing can be said about basketball for the most part.

Sure it might be neat to see a player like OVechkin go on an end to end run from a view like that. THe problem is that you don't know when he is going to on a end to end run so you can't set up the camera to capture it properly.

Hockey is best televised when there aren't a lot of live action cuts and they just stick with the center main cam.

g35

Apr 28, 2006
that vid is awesome. However, getting in the way of the puck is a problem. I'm pretty sure it happened in Calgary in 2004 finals when the puck hit the camera, and play was blown dead.

That's the only drawback I think. If control could be like what it was in the vid, especially used for replays. I would embrace it 100%

i have a feeling like the chances of it getting hit are very low. i just think of how much space it occupies in the whole area where the puck could possibly be flung, and it's a pretty small amount of space.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
ESPN used it.

Didn't really add much. It's perfect for football though when it's right behind the quarterback and alittle above him. Great view of the play.

Hockey, however, has too much movement and it would just confuse the casual fan even further.

Could add some cool perspectives for instant replays though.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
That video makes it look a lot better than it was. If you noticed they sped up the film. It was very difficult to follow the play when they switched to that camera and actually by the end of the video I was starting to feel a little sick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad