C Zach Hyman (2010, 123rd, FLA; 2015 trade, TOR)

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
I don't know how many people here follow the OJHL, but Zach Hyman is pretty much destroying the league lately. He is up to 32 points in 12 games on the season, and this is after a slow start. The most amazing thing is that 25 of his 32 points have come at even strength. He's had 20 points in his last 5 games.

Hyman is 6'2" and was captain of his team at 16 years old. As a June '92 birthday he was among the younger players in the 2010 draft. From reports he has great character and work ethic. I've seen him play twice this year and he's very fast coming through the neutral zone, and too much for defensemen to handle when he's got the puck.

He's committed to Princeton for 2011 which is why he continues to play OJHL Jr A instead of the OHL.

http://ojhlsite.stats.pointstreak.com/playerpage.html?playerid=2227232&seasonid=5985

Last edited:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Very cool.

Seems to be a nice guy to watch long term.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Destroying the league would be an understatement if thats possible.Its usually a high scoring league but its still impressive what he's doing. Its supposed to be a pretty good league, Brandon Smith played there before he went to Wisconsin. However like the USHL I think their is a huge difference in quality of players, good players are really good, bad players are horendously bad. Some may be OHL calibre and others barely able to put up points in AAA.

Default101

He's 3rd in league scoring.

Personally, to me dominating the league is a player who is hands down better than everyone else.

He's got 2 guys ahead of them in the scoring race. Yes he's younger than the other two, but one of them is James Woodcroft, who was a usual scratch for the Windsor Spitfires the last two years. He was barely OHL level talent, but in the OJHL he's lighting it up at the same rate as Hyman.

Zach Hyman is always going to get a bad rap and will have to defeat the critics, thanks to his dad who bought ISS, and fired the original director of scouting because he refused to rank Hyman as high as his dad wanted him ranked, and brought in someone who would. The Toronto Star had an article about this about a month ago.

pantherfanz

Oct 19, 2010
Zach Hyman is a great young player. He is the top player in Junior A. He's a two way player and totally different than Woodcroft. Also Hyman is 2 years younger and already drafted to the Panthers. He is very enjoyable to watch. He is a threat every time he steps on the ice. He has excellent skill, and turbo speed. Have seen him put the puck through Dman's legs and blow by others for fun. Also can't discount his tremendous leadership abilities being such a young captain. Look for this kid to make it to the show and be a huge sleeper pick for the Panthers.:yo:

CAPiTA

Sep 4, 2008
Vancouver

Personally, to me dominating the league is a player who is hands down better than everyone else.

He's got 2 guys ahead of them in the scoring race. Yes he's younger than the other two, but one of them is James Woodcroft, who was a usual scratch for the Windsor Spitfires the last two years. He was barely OHL level talent, but in the OJHL he's lighting it up at the same rate as Hyman.

Zach Hyman is always going to get a bad rap and will have to defeat the critics, thanks to his dad who bought ISS, and fired the original director of scouting because he refused to rank Hyman as high as his dad wanted him ranked, and brought in someone who would. The Toronto Star had an article about this about a month ago.

Is this true? Link? That is absolutely ridiculous.

pantherfanz

Oct 19, 2010
Its a positive article. The kid did it on his own merit.

Anyone who has seen Zach Hyman play will agree that he is a great young player and as a Panther Fan I know me and my pals are happy and excited that the Panthers drafted the kid. Even read on CBC that this pick could end up being the steal in the draft. His play is doing the talking and the youngster sure is lighting it up in Junior A. :yo:

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC

Hyman has soared up the scoring leaders since missing the first part of the season and then taking a couple games to hit his stride. He's now third with two 20-year-old overagers ahead of him, with the leading scorer having 6 more points but having played 5 more games. In his last 5 games Hyman has 20 points, so it's pretty easy to see that the scoring lead is only a matter of time. And though I would have preferred to have seen him go to the USHL for this season, he's doing everything you could ask of him at this level.

The article in question clearly quotes the Panthers as saying he was always on their radar and that the ISS rankings had no bearing on his draft position.

Nobody is calling him a top-50 prospect but he is an intriguing prospect.

james30

Jan 13, 2010
Another interesting point is that his father also owns the team he is presently playing on. That definitely helps you get all the good scoring shifts and dictates who you get to play with. I don't understand why he isn't at Princeton yet though. He would have graduated from highschool last year.

james30

Jan 13, 2010
Another interesting point is that his father also owns the team he is presently playing on. That definitely helps you get all the good scoring shifts and dictates who you get to play with. I don't understand why he isn't at Princeton yet though. He would have graduated from highschool last year.

pantherfanz

Oct 19, 2010
It is not uncommon for D1 schools to delay their top prospects. For example there are 1987 and 1986 born men playing NCAA D1 hockey now. Hyman is only a 92. Besides most freshman players sit first year, in Hyman's case he'll get an extra year of Junior development rather than red shirting in College and then step into Princeton and have a legit chance to be the top dog. Darroll Powe from the Flyers came out of Princeton. Cammilieri out of Michigan, Kariya out of Maine, the list goes on. I am not saying one route is better than the other. that's up to the player to decide his own path.

G-Double

Aug 5, 2002
left coast
Visit site
It is not uncommon for D1 schools to delay their top prospects. For example there are 1987 and 1986 born men playing NCAA D1 hockey now. Hyman is only a 92. Besides most freshman players sit first year, in Hyman's case he'll get an extra year of Junior development rather than red shirting in College and then step into Princeton and have a legit chance to be the top dog. Darroll Powe from the Flyers came out of Princeton. Cammilieri out of Michigan, Kariya out of Maine, the list goes on. I am not saying one route is better than the other. that's up to the player to decide his own path.

I think that a review of rosters and former players would show that certain players spend longer in juniors, but those players are for the most part not expected to be the top dog or an elite player. I'm not commenting one way or another on Hyman, I've never seen him play.

But a couple of names come to mind, Schroeder, Sheahan, Pitlick and Ambroz, all guys that entered college before their draft year, or in the case of Ambroz, people thought he should have accelerated to get to Minnesota this season.

G

duul

Jun 21, 2010
i play against him and i'm not afraid to say he's extremely talented

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
RC Zach Hyman - Univ of Michigan, B1G (2010, 123rd overall, Florida)

Anyone know anything about this kid? Looking at the 2010 draft prospects points someone just posted by seachd, it has him at 52 points in 21 games! It is in the OJHL, and I'm not sure how hard of a league that is to play in, but still thats pretty impressive. Did Florida maybe get someone worth looking at?

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
I've seen him play a few times this year. He's got a good frame at 6'2" and excellent speed and puck skills. He's a dynamic player with the puck on his stick, and seems like a great on-ice leader. In fact he was the youngest captain in the OJHL last year and was also one of the younger players in the draft. But he is obviously doing it in a lower league and will have his doubters.

Next year he'll be at Princeton so we'll get a better idea of his abilities, but he is pretty much doing everything expected of him and then some, so far.

gorbs27

Feb 20, 2006
Well you can't really tell the story by stats, so those folks who saw the tournament can shed light on that.

Hyman had 2 goals and 3 assists in 5 games. Here's how each game went for him...

USA 6 Canada East 1 (pre-lim) - Hyman had a power play assist.
Canada East 6 Sweden 2 (pre-lim) - Hyman had a power play goal and power play assist.
Canada East 4 Russia 3 (Quarter-final) - Hyman had a goal.
Canada East 4 Switzerland 2 (Semi-final) - Hyman had an assist.
USA 6 Canada East 4 (Final) - Hyman didn't register a point.

I would like to have seen some of the action, but unfortunately that didn't happen. Anyone who watched some of this tournament care to weigh in on how Hyman looked?

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
He has a good head on his shoulders. I think it was said he was the smartest kid in the draft or is it Hamilton I am thinking of?

I wonder what fuelled this thread. If it's what I think it was then a little bit more reading would provide an answer. :)

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
He has a good head on his shoulders. I think it was said he was the smartest kid in the draft or is it Hamilton I am thinking of?

I wonder what fuelled this thread. If it's what I think it was then a little bit more reading would provide an answer. :)

haha nice post, he's had an interesting situation around him to say the least. hopefully he has the skills to prove any doubters wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad