C William Whitelaw - Univ. of Wisconsin, NCAA (2023, 66th, CBJ)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
His first game against Germany at the Hlinka was really good, but then he faded afterwards. He wasn't bad, but the team had little going for it offensively, took a lot of penalties, and he's the type of player thats not going to excel with his defense or physical play. If the team has nothing going offensively, as a small undersized flashy forward he's going to be one of the first to catch criticism.

I don't see too many concerns with his game, as long as you realize he is what he is. He's a small scoring forward, and sometimes he takes stupid shots where he should pass.

Could he light up the USHL this season, be one of the league's leading scorers, and somehow find his way into the end of the first round? Sure. If he has a bad season, third round could happen also. But I think we'll most likely see him drafted in the second round.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Was looking at his Eliteprospects page and saw that he was ranked from 18 - 50
- 4 ranks him as a 1st rounder and the rest as a 2nd rounder.

He had a great season last season for Shattuck. scored about 50 goals and 110 points in 55 games.

Leads his Youngstown Phantoms in points (35 in 35), 2nd in goals (20), 2nd in penalty minutes (46)
of all forwards his +7 marker is second best.

6th in goals in the USHL, 1 behind 5th and 4th, 3 behind 3rd and 2nd and 5 behind the 1st.

He is listed now 5 foot 10. so has grown a little. (though elite prospects lists him at 5 foot 9)

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Why on earth would you choose almost always bad wisconsin over a Minnesota team that will potentially lose the whole first line.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Wins the game in OT to send Youngstown to the Finals. If I were a team with multiple picks I would be really thinking hard about trying to pick both him and Misiak, they have a special chemistry.

2nd round for those guys at this point? i thought 3rd a few weeks ago

Reactions: Antiillafire

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
My scouting report from his USHL season. He's okay. Probably one of those small wingers that scores a lot of points in his hockey career, but below the NHL level. We'll see.

He’s a good player, but one-dimensional. Small winger with good skating, puck skills, and an above-average shot. He’s a volume shooter. He’ll make his mark scoring goals, but I don’t think he’s like some 40-50 goal candidate in the NHL eventually. He’s not Caufield or deBrincat. Doesn’t have the instincts in the offense zone that they have. He’ll have a shot to be a middle 6 or second line winger that can score enough to keep a spot, but it’s no lock. Late round 2 or early round 3 guy.

ndmd99

Apr 9, 2018
Led UW w/ 123 SOG (and 2nd behind Lucius w/ 190 TSA). Only shot 8.1%. No PPG, but he did get time on the PP.

I don't think lack of opportunity is the issue.

Reactions: William H Bonney

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Led UW w/ 123 SOG (and 2nd behind Lucius w/ 190 TSA). Only shot 8.1%. No PPG, but he did get time on the PP.

I don't think lack of opportunity is the issue.
He wasn't playing much on the top lines. I believe most games he was on the third line. Also, they play a very defensive style, so while it may not only be about ice time/situations, he probably did not sign up to play Hastings hockey.

I don't think it can be said to be a coincidence that all three of their 2023 draft picks are in the transfer portal.

ndmd99

Apr 9, 2018
He wasn't playing much on the top lines. I believe most games he was on the third line. Also, they play a very defensive style, so while it may not only be about ice time/situations, he probably did not sign up to play Hastings hockey.

I don't think it can be said to be a coincidence that all three of their 2023 draft picks are in the transfer portal.

You're drawing conclusions about "Hastings hockey".

UW finished 3rd nationally in SOG, 6th in TSA, and tied for 12th (w/ MSU where Stramel rumors have him headed) in Corsi. There's nothing "defensive" about those numbers.

Whitelaw had the green light to shoot. And he had plenty of time on the PP. He was given opportunity.

8.1% shooting and 0.44 PPG aren't top 6 numbers. That's 3rd line production in the B10 (and probably all of NCAA but I follow B10 mostly). Considering he got PP time those numbers are terrible.

Playing on the 3rd line also means he's facing 3rd line opponents at 5v5. He was given plenty of minutes (including PP time) and didn't exactly light it up.

100% agree there's probably some disagreement with Hastings and Whitelaw. But I'm probably on Hastings' side from what I've seen. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up, but I'm not sure the change of scenery will make a big difference.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

UW finished 3rd nationally in SOG, 6th in TSA, and tied for 12th (w/ MSU where Stramel rumors have him headed) in Corsi. There's nothing "defensive" about those numbers.

Whitelaw had the green light to shoot. And he had plenty of time on the PP. He was given opportunity.

8.1% shooting and 0.44 PPG aren't top 6 numbers. That's 3rd line production in the B10 (and probably all of NCAA but I follow B10 mostly). Considering he got PP time those numbers are terrible.

Playing on the 3rd line also means he's facing 3rd line opponents at 5v5. He was given plenty of minutes (including PP time) and didn't exactly light it up.

100% agree there's probably some disagreement with Hastings and Whitelaw. But I'm probably on Hastings' side from what I've seen. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up, but I'm not sure the change of scenery will make a big difference.
They finished 2nd in Scoring Defense and 17th in Scoring Offense. They are definitely more of a defensive team. Their offense isn't bad, but it's a defensive system and style of hockey.

ndmd99

Apr 9, 2018
They finished 2nd in Scoring Defense and 17th in Scoring Offense. They are definitely more of a defensive team. Their offense isn't bad, but it's a defensive system and style of hockey.

It's not the coach's job to get the puck in the net (which leads to G/PG). It's not Hastings' fault Whitelaw shoots 8.1% and your boy Stramel shoots 7.1%. Hastings' system gave Whitelaw the opportunity. He couldn't produce.

It'll be interesting to see where he ends up, but I doubt it'll make much difference. 123 SOG and 190 TSA are volume numbers from a shooter that doesn't pass much. He can get those same SOG/TSA numbers at another school. but if he doesn't work to improve that 8.1% and 0.46 PPG I wouldn't want him anywhere near my top-6/PP. And I'm guessing that's the disconnect which has Whitelaw in the portal -- player blames coach and coach blames player.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Michigan likely is gonna have some spots open up. I’m sure they’ll be active in the portal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad