C Will McDonough - Sioux Falls Stampede, USHL (2023 Draft)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
9 points in 26 games this season. One of my favorite 2023 Draft eligibles in the USHL.

My notes from what I saw of him this season.

McDonough: I like what I see from this guy. Not eligible until next year. Center with a good all around game. What stands out is that he’s very physical for a center. He throws big hits, gets himself involved in a lot of scrums, and plays a little more of a gritty game than most talented centers. He also has good talent offensively. He can dangle, he makes good decisions with the puck, and can make some good passes. I don’t know if he has elite skill, but there’s skill there. He also has good size and I think he probably skates at an average level. Early to know an exact range, but top two rounds for 2023 seems pretty likely.

Reactions: JohnJim

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Barely played at the Hlinka. He was rotating between 4th line RW and 13F. I thought he should've played more. He did better than a number of guys playing more than him.

The upcoming season should be interesting. I think he has a lot of potential as a power forward, but he's pretty raw. If he gets consistent top six time and the opportunity to improve, he could be a player teams covet at the draft. Wouldn't be shocked, at all, if he gets some first round attention with a good season. If not, maybe more round 2 or 3. I remember saying this stuff about Tyler Boucher before his draft season, who was better than McDonough, but not by that much. We see where he was drafted.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Had a train-wreck of a season and didn't get drafted. His beginning of the season he couldn't score. That doomed him. To his credit he ended the season better. Had 25 points in 59 games. Committed to Harvard for 24-25. He's good at hockey. I think he's going to be drafted or be an UDFA later on, but he may have been too much of a long-term project to pick in 2023.

My scouting report from his USHL season.

This is the draft prospect this season in the USHL where I don’t understand how his stats are so bad. When I’ve watched his shifts, he’s doing very well and driving play. Almost every way you can be involved in a lot of scoring chances and not score he’s doing that. I don’t have access to the advanced stats to be sure of it, but he always seems to be in the offensive zone, and it’s often due to the plays he’s making.

He’s playing a little differently than what I had seen last season. Not as physical and looking for huge hits and fights, but he also does have that component to his game more than almost every player you’ll see in the upcoming draft. He skates well, he can play center, he has some skill with the puck, and a good motor. All of that sounds like a first rounder, but the stats aren’t there. He won’t be a first rounder. He won’t be a second rounder either. At the same time, he might be one of these guys who has all the tools but no toolbox. I watch him play, and think he has a lot of good attributes but doesn’t know how to play hockey, if that makes any sense. He falls down often and whiffs on shots and receiving passes. I don’t think any of this is because he’s dumb either. He’s a long-term project player, but I think there’s some good upside as a middle six power-forward. Anything like 3rd or 4th round for him is appropriate, as I see it. His range will probably be lower and he’ll probably be a late pick, but I’d just take the gamble in the 3rd-4th round. Not going to find many players there with his upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad