C Warren Foegele - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2014, 67th, CAR)

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
from Bob McKenzie
Something of a late bloomer – he was only 5-foot-8 and 150 pounds in his minor midget season with the Markham Waxers – the now 6-1, 178-pound left winger is attracting attention from NHL scouts, who've been flocking to the Canadian private school or following SAC when they play games in the U.S. against prep schools there.

He's committed to go to the University of New Hampshire for the 2015-16 season, with the plan, for now anyway, to play in Penticton of the British Columbia Junior League next season.
Some scouts have been buzzing about his play of late, a fast-skating, hard-working, two-way left winger. Adding to the chatter is the fact he's one of those seeming "come out of nowhere" kids who's playing at a level of hockey in Canada that doesn't usually attract many, if any, NHL scouts.
A flash survey of NHL scouts puts Foegele in potential second or third-round territory for this year's draft. While some have projected him to go later than that, no more than a mid-round prospect, some of those who rank him as a possible second-rounder believe he has the tools to perhaps trend even higher.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=441117

Hmm, if he goes to play in Penticton next year, I should really make a trip out to go see him.

Reactions: Unsustainable

arsmaster*

Don't sleep on shrimps from the Waxers.

Chris Tanev is an alumnus who was 5'6" 150lbs coming out of that program.

He's now 6'2" and playing 20+ mins a night for the Canucks.

Interesting. It'll be nice to keep tabs on him the rest of the year.

ClarkHislopCox

Jan 14, 2014
Vermont
Warren Foegele is a senior at St. Andrew's College, a university prep school in Aurora, Ontario. He committed to the University of New Hampshire in February, 2013.

Foegele is on track to arrive at UNH in the Fall of 2015. He has scored 8 goals in his last 3 games including 4 goals against Upper Canada College yesterday.

Here's a shootout goal he scored at the St. Sebastian's Holiday Tournament in December, 2013.

Last edited:

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Don't sleep on shrimps from the Waxers.

Chris Tanev is an alumnus who was 5'6" 150lbs coming out of that program.

He's now 6'2" and playing 20+ mins a night for the Canucks.

Interesting. It'll be nice to keep tabs on him the rest of the year.

I was actually a part of a coaching staff that cut Tanev from a team when he was smaller. :laugh:

Warren Foegele is a senior at St. Andrew's College, a university prep school in Aurora, Ontario. He committed to the University of New Hampshire in February, 2013.

Foegele is on track to arrive at UNH in the Fall of 2015. He has scored 8 goals in his last 3 games including 4 goals against Upper Canada College yesterday.

Here's a shootout goal he scored at the St. Sebastian's Holiday Tournament in December, 2013.

We included Warren in our 2013 OHL Draft Guide last spring. He will obviously be included in this years NHL Draft Black Book. Interesting tidbit, an NHL scout actually told me about him last year and suggested
I take a look at him for our OHL Draft product. I'm scheduled to watch him again soon.

Reactions: DaveG

arsmaster*

I was actually a part of a coaching staff that cut Tanev from a team when he was smaller. :laugh:
Crazy how things change.

Was your reason for cutting him his size? Because he sure has a fantastic hockey mind.

He's got a great story for small teenagers and late bloomers to look up to.

We included Warren in our 2013 OHL Draft Guide last spring. He will obviously be included in this years NHL Draft Black Book. Interesting tidbit, an NHL scout actually told me about him last year and suggested
I take a look at him for our OHL Draft product. I'm scheduled to watch him again soon.

Cool. Any tidbits on his actual play will be greatly appreciated. These types of stories are always interesting to keep track of.

ClarkHislopCox

Jan 14, 2014
Vermont
Cool. Any tidbits on his actual play will be greatly appreciated. These types of stories are always interesting to keep track of.

I follow and regularly report on the recruits who have committed to UNH, including Warren Foegele. I do this as a hobby and am not affiliated with UNH. I'll honor the rules of this website and not mention where one can find the content.

sureloss

Jan 5, 2006
Guessing this is the blog?
http://unhhockeyblog.blogspot.ca/

In the semi-final game against Northwood, St. Andrew's fell behind 2-0 in the first period. Each game consisted of two, 25-minute periods. In this video sequence, St. Andrew's is on the power play and the left-shot Foegele (#3) is positioned on the half-boards to the left of the Northwood goalie. Note Foegele's accurate passing, maneuvering in tight spaces, and quick-release shots:

With Northwood ahead 3-1 late in the first period, St. Andrew's went on another power play. Foegele received a pass in the high slot and ripped a wrist shot under the Northwood goalie's glove.

Neither team scored in the 5-minute overtime setting up a shootout. The first two shooters on each team didn't score and the third Northwood shooter also came up short. The stage was set for Warren Foegele to win another game for St. Andrew's. His game-winning, shootout goal speaks for itself:

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net

hahaha. looks like we were at the same game..

from Bob McKenzie

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=441117

Hmm, if he goes to play in Penticton next year, I should really make a trip out to go see him.

I like him a lot, think he'll probably be a great college player, but I didn't feel as though he lived up to the hype that I'd heard about him. definitely not in Jankowski's tier of upside IMO. interested to hear how he does in the BC league.

ClarkHislopCox

Jan 14, 2014
Vermont
According to Bob McKenzie on twitter, Warren Foegele is accelerating enrollment to UNH to next fall. Won't be playing for Penticton next year.
With he and Shane Eiserman coming to UNH next year, the incoming class shapes up to be very strong.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
For a guy like this, what would it take for him to play in the OHL. Would a team have to draft him in this years OHL Draft? Is that a possible scenario?

If he's picked in this years NHL draft I'd personally rather him to go to OHL than play less minutes at UNH.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
For a guy like this, what would it take for him to play in the OHL. Would a team have to draft him in this years OHL Draft? Is that a possible scenario?

If he's picked in this years NHL draft I'd personally rather him to go to OHL than play less minutes at UNH.
He is a free agent, having already been passed over in two drafts (2012 and 2013), and can sign anywhere.
However, since he is unlikely to sign outright, he will likely be added to the draft list again and selected by a team so that they hold his rights should he change his mind.
The same thing happened with Jankowski, who was selected by Saginaw in 2012.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Foegele's OHL rights now belong to Kingston. He was drafted 135th overall (round seven) in today's OHL Priority Selection.

Startel

ChuckBartowskiMovie
Feb 15, 2014
Bump. Where do you think this kid is getting drafted? and how does play? comparable?

Startel

ChuckBartowskiMovie
Feb 15, 2014
Wondering then what the difference is between Jankowski and Foegele that made Jankowski a much higher pick?

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
What would the chances be that Foegele plays in the OHL at some point? The NHL team that drafts him could assign him there correct?
An NHL team could always nudge Foegele towards the OHL after drafting him, but that decision will ultimately fall to him. For now, he has signed a NLI to attend UNH in 2014-15. His other option would be Dubuque (USHL), but that seems unlikely with his fall commitment.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Wondering then what the difference is between Jankowski and Foegele that made Jankowski a much higher pick?

I am not sure about Foegele's skill-set, but Jankowski was a 6'2.5 (6'4" now) center with very good skating ability, high-IQ and a very strong skill-set. Was a tough prospect to gauge correctly (and only time will show if it was indeed a good pick) due to the quality of competition.

If Foegele has the same skating ability, IQ and skill-set, I would assume he ends up roughly a late first round pick or high second rounder, but he is a bit smaller. The massive growth spurt played a part in Jankowski's overall appeal (would have been though of as a bit 'clumsy' who should improve once his body catches up to his frame, but then he decided to grow another 1.5 inches).

Will be interesting to see where he ends up being drafted. I predict if he ends up getting drafted by a team that is well thought of in regards to drafting and development, it will be lauded. If he gets selected by a team that isn't as highly thought of, it will get laughed at. If the GM of said drafting team goes out and makes grandiose proclamations, it will be ridiculed for at least a full calendar year, if not longer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad