C/W Valentin Nussbaumer - EHC Biel/Bienne, NLA (2019, 207th, ARI)

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Probably money.

He says it's a decision about his development. He discussed it with his agent and thought about it during the WJC. He knew EHC Biel had interest.

Question : Does it mean it wasn't going well with Shawinigan?

Nussbaumer : There's on and off ice. I can't complain because I've grown and I've learn a lot. I think I became a man because of this adventure but some things happened and for my well-being and my development I prefered coming back to Switzerland.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Probably a combination of:
-hasn't been doing amazing in Shawinigan
-Shawinigan is going nowhere fast
-Playing well at the world juniors may have prompted Bienne to make him an offer?
-Bienne has a bunch of injuries at forward and are on a bad losing streak, so they may be desperate
-$$$

Maybe coming back to Switzerland and transitioning to the pros will be good for him. But it's still kinda shitty to do that to Shawi mid-season.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Shawinigan has to release him though and they said earlier this week they wouldn't do it? Maybe they did afterall?

It's a shame for the team. They had Jan Drozg who wanted to come back but they had a commitment with Nussbaumer so they respected it but he didn't offer them the same courtesy. Now they can't bring Drozg back and Nussbaumer is gone.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Basically he played well enough for Biel to be willing to give him an NLA contract. And for Nussbaumer, if somebody gives you a spot on a men's team in a good league in your home country plus he gets paid, why not do it. If Shawinigan had something going he might have not left them mid-season but in the current situation, this was probably a no-brainer.

Shawinigan has to release him though and they said earlier this week they wouldn't do it? Maybe they did afterall?

Biel or Nussbaumer himself might have simply paid them off. It's a fast way to encourage someone to do something.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Basically he played well enough for Biel to be willing to give him an NLA contract. And for Nussbaumer, if somebody gives you a spot on a men's team in a good league in your home country plus he gets paid, why not do it. If Shawinigan had something going he might have not left them mid-season but in the current situation, this was probably a no-brainer.

Biel or Nussbaumer himself might have simply paid them off.

I don't think it's about where the team is going. They said they were willing to trade him if that was his wish. He didn't ask for a trade.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I don't think it's about where the team is going. They said they were willing to trade him if that was his wish. He didn't ask for a trade.
My point was if you are a big part of a winning team you are a part of something, you most likely don't want to leave your teammates, your club, your whatever hanging. On a team that is mid-table at best it doesn't really matter. That's why they were willing to trade him in the first place.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
My point was if you are a big part of a winning team you are a part of something, you most likely don't want to leave your teammates, your club, your whatever hanging. On a team that is mid-table at best it doesn't really matter. That's why they were willing to trade him in the first place.

They were mid-table before he left for the WJC. They had home ice for the first round but they went 1-7 without him and fell. They're still 5 points out of 1st round home ice.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
16 points in 18 games since moving to HC Davos. Anyone watch this kid? Curious about his play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad