6'3
Comparable-Jamie Benn

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=252480

d9892f44-ab64-4f7d-b36a-1cd4a7a87e9b_ORIGINAL.jpg

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
He's shown some mental toughness here. It would have been hard for him not to be down on himself following his start to the year with Cape Breton, and his poor showing at the WJC.

He's battled through it, and is showing why he was a top pick. If he reaches his potential, Colombus will be a very good team for a long time. With Jones, Werenski, and Murray on the back-end, and Bobrovsky in goal, they just need a little more help upfront for Wennberg, Atkinson, Saad, and Foligno.

Is the general consensus that he will play in the NHL full-time next season?

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Will people please stop saying he did poor/bad/whatever at the WJC. He didn't do bad. He just wasn't great. He was good and there were plenty of other players who did worse than him.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
He was good but not amazing before and at the WJC. People expected amazing which is why there was letdown.

Now he is playing amazing.

But he did this last year too.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Will people please stop saying he did poor/bad/whatever at the WJC. He didn't do bad. He just wasn't great. He was good and there were plenty of other players who did worse than him.

In terms of expectations he was up there. He had no goals the whole tournament.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He's shown some mental toughness here. It would have been hard for him not to be down on himself following his start to the year with Cape Breton, and his poor showing at the WJC.

He's battled through it, and is showing why he was a top pick. If he reaches his potential, Colombus will be a very good team for a long time. With Jones, Werenski, and Murray on the back-end, and Bobrovsky in goal, they just need a little more help upfront for Wennberg, Atkinson, Saad, and Foligno.

Is the general consensus that he will play in the NHL full-time next season?
Yeah, I'd say so. We're going to have an open spot at C assuming William Karlsson is picked by LV. Gagner likely won't return either. So we will have room for him (and probably Bjorkstrand).

Come on now, just because there were players who did worse than him doesn't mean he wasn't bad. He was bad.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
People need to stop putting too much stock into WJC performances. Cody Hodgson was dominant, where is he now? He retired at 26, for being unable to crack an NHL roster.

What about Max Friberg? AHLer. Nikita Filatov.. do I need to go on?

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
People need to stop putting too much stock into WJC performances. Cody Hodgson was dominant, where is he now? He retired at 26, for being unable to crack an NHL roster.

Pretty much this. Every single poster who has claimed he's a bust on HF has based their incorrect opinion on a short showcase tournament.

Also, I feel like he was a bit misused on the wing and his role on the team - wasn't he placed in the bottom-6? Not to mention how he was never given the puck by his teammates on the PP.

Duber's going to make the big club next year as long as he has a good off-season and is ready to compete against men. I expect him to grab a top-6 spot next year, whether it be on the wing or at center is up for debate though. His game is a great mix of Nick Foligno and Jamie Benn, which is perfect for Columbus.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

A bit different, but I would say a bad WJC shows more than a good WJC. But, really they are both overvalued. I always see the list of busts who had bad WJC's put up around here. I would love to see a comparable list of good NHLers who had bad WJC's. I have no idea what the results would be.

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
A bit different, but I would say a bad WJC shows more than a good WJC. But, really they are both overvalued. I always see the list of busts who had bad WJC's put up around here. I would love to see a comparable list of good NHLers who had bad WJC's. I have no idea what the results would be.

I remember people jumping on Mitch Marner for a bit of an underwhelming WJC last year. He proceeded to dominate the rest of the junior season including Playoffs and Memorial Cub and looks like a nice NHL player now. Dubois could have a similar trajectory. He's still a high end prospect despite a meh WJC and he's showing it again in the Q.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I remember people jumping on Mitch Marner for a bit of an underwhelming WJC last year. He proceeded to dominate the rest of the junior season including Playoffs and Memorial Cub and looks like a nice NHL player now. Dubois could have a similar trajectory. He's still a high end prospect despite a meh WJC and he's showing it again in the Q.
Marner still lead his WJC team in points and was there best player vs Finland.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I think the "comparable: Jamie Benn" bit is the issue, and a big part of why he's drawn criticism. He has a lot going for him, big body with nice tools and a solid skill set, but he just doesn't look like he's going to be a major star. I can see his upside being a very good power winger, along the lines of Hartnell or Foligno, but can't imagine him being the #1 guy on an NHL team like Benn.

Now, I know Benn himself was a big time late bloomer, but at the very least I find it highly unlikely PLD will be that good. Watching him in both the Q and the WJC, I see a basically guaranteed NHLer, with a decent shot to be quite a good NHLer, but almost no chance at franchise forward upside.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Comparables are more playing style than what they'll become
People often mean both. Also, that post wasn't so much aimed at you, just a general remark. Before the draft, PLD was getting a tonne of hype, and plenty of Benn comparisons. Since then, as people see more of him he doesn't look THAT good, and we're seeing lots of overreactions in the other direction, writing him off as a bust.

I think the likely reality lies in the middle, that he'll be an NHLer, possibly a pretty good one, but not a franchise forward. However, I think the overhyping, including comparisons to Benn, are the main reason we're seeing a significant underhyping backlash.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon

He was definitely bad, doesn't mean he's a bad player. But he flat out didn't do anything at the Juniors.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Mikko Rantanen was the worst player in 2016 Finland's WJC team if we don't count the last two games.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Mikko Rantanen was the worst player in 2016 Finland's WJC team if we don't count the last two games.

Now he wasn't close to the best, but dang that claim is a stretch. And Mikko had very legit reasons not to look great.

Don't want to turn this into MR96 thread. As much as I like Puljujärvi, I still get why CBJ picked this guy, I wasn't too surprised to see them pick PLD. I wanna see how this story goes, I believe he will be a very decent top six center. Wish Avs had him behind MacKinnon.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Now he wasn't close to the best, but dang that claim is a stretch. And Mikko had very legit reasons not to look great.

Don't want to turn this into MR96 thread. As much as I like Puljujärvi, I still get why CBJ picked this guy, I wasn't too surprised to see them pick PLD. I wanna see how this story goes, I believe he will be a very decent top six center. Wish Avs had him behind MacKinnon.
It was a bit so I'll change it; the worst forward. Keskitalo and Vehviläinen were actually the worst players. He caused several turnovers, whiffed on his shots and overall seemed kinda lazy out there. The last two games from him were totally different and played on his expected level. This was supposed to show (in PLD's favour) how the WJC tournament sometimes isn't a very good indication. But yeah, lets just leave it here.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Exactly. I'm tired of people saying they want their prospects to return too junior so they can play in the WJC or Memorial cup because it will help there development etc. etc. If it happens it happens and would be a nice memory, and that is all it is.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
why are we still talking about his WJC performance? at least he made it. Michael dal Cole didn't even make the team 2 straight tries.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

WJC really means nothing. Nurse or Domi didn't even make their squads in their post-draft seasons. Granlund was a WJC star and yet it took him 5 years in the NHL to break out. Sergachyov and Juolevi didn't have particularly strong WJC tournaments this year. Lazar had two straight strong WJC's but is barely an NHLer. I could go on...If anything it seems like a strong WJC performance creates unrealistic expectations for the future success of the player in question.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
PLD has never done well in internationally. And him playing poorly still netted him 5 pts in 7 games. He created a lot of opportunities, but ****ed up just as many.

He's found his groove and doesn't seem to be slowing down ever since. I fully expect him to push for a top 6 spot next season. If he plays center the jackets will have an extremely impressive center corps.

Wennberg the playmaker(playing w/Saad and Bjorkstrand)
Dubi the grinder (playing w/Atkinson and Jenner)
PLD the perfect mix of them both. (playing w/Foligno and Hartnell/Anderson)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad