C/W Luke Philp - Kootenay Ice, WHL (2014 undrafted)

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Excerpt from Next Ones profile at THW:

Team: #12, Kootenay Ice

Date of Birth: 11/06/1995

Place of Birth: Canmore, AB

Ht: 5’ 9.5″ Wt: 178 lbs

Shoots: Right

Position: C/W

NHL Draft Eligibility: 2014

Twitter: @lukephilp

THW Ranking (The Next Ones; Chris’s List): 98

Other Rankings:

ISS: 145

NHL Central Scouting (Combined): 107

Cool Hand Luke

Why does a first time draft eligible prospect averaging over a point-per-game in one of junior hockey’s toughest leagues (WHL) get overshadowed in his draft year? Size of the player is the obvious thing that comes to mind as the Canmore, AB product measures in at just under 5’10″. He also shares the ice with phenom Sam Reinhart. One would think he padded his stat line riding shotgun to Reinhart. While Philp often was switched from his centre position to flank Reinhart on the wing as well as playing the point on the powerplay, Philp often centred his own line. He also excelled when Reinhart departed for Malmo, Sweden to suit up for Team Canada for the 2014 World Juniors.

While stats do not reveal the whole story of Cool Hand Luke......"

Read the full profile on Luke Philp here

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
This guy caught my eye during the Ice series with the Hitmen, I spent the whole game squinting at him trying to figure out if his name was missing an I or not :facepalm:

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
He often was on Bozon's line in Kootenay, I would like to see the Habs use a 3rd or a 4th on him.

And yeah, I just realized a couple of days ago that it's Philp. Not Philip.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
You know I wouldn't be shocked to see this guy nabbed in the 3rd, maybe even the late 2nd by a team with a surplus of picks, but I also wouldn't be shocked to see him not get picked at all this year as he's small and not especially explosive speed-wise. If that happens, I do have a funny feeling he will get picked up eventually, though, whether it be signed to an ELC after the draft/training camp and snagged with a pick next year when he puts up similar numbers even without Reinhart. What I find particularly fascinating about him is that he plays the point on the power-play and plays it really well.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
You know I wouldn't be shocked to see this guy nabbed in the 3rd, maybe even the late 2nd by a team with a surplus of picks, but I also wouldn't be shocked to see him not get picked at all this year as he's small and not especially explosive speed-wise. If that happens, I do have a funny feeling he will get picked up eventually, though, whether it be signed to an ELC after the draft/training camp and snagged with a pick next year when he puts up similar numbers even without Reinhart. What I find particularly fascinating about him is that he plays the point on the power-play and plays it really well.

Have to agree with this - exactly the way I picture his situation. Hope he gets picked though; feel he has earned with his play when Reinhart departed to WJCs.

Brandel*

Any chance he gets drafted this time around? His production is decent, what are the major concerns here?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2015/05/final-whl-rankings-2015-nhl-draft.html

#38 Luke Philp*

Team: Kootenay Ice
Position: C
Shoots: R
Height: 5’9.25
Weight: 180
GP: 71
Goals: 30
Assists: 52
Pts/Gm: 1.15
PIM: 28

Player Analysis: Luke Philp is a shifty and dynamic offensive player for the Kootenay Ice…is in his 2nd year of NHL Draft eligibility after being passed over in 2014 as a late ’95…while not being overly big, he has a thick base and an explosive skating stride…has above-average speed to go with his ability to accelerate quickly…is shifty and can change direction quickly making him tough to stop both off the cycle and the rush…has good balance and a low centre of gravity…is a very good stickhandler and has no issues handling the puck in traffic…is strong on his stick…possesses good vision and makes the players around him better…is confident elevating the puck in the passing game or making plays on his backhand…processes the game at a high rate of speed…everything he does he does with jam and spunk…size may stop him from being a true defensive player at the next level but he’s surely not a liability thanks mainly to his strong motor and sense…spent much of the season as the Ice’ 2nd line centre…often had Jaedon Descheneau on his right-wing…was a regular on both the penalty kill and on the powerplay…spend some time quarterbacking the powerplay in my viewings this season…I considered him to be a draftable player last season, even rating him higher than his teammate Descheneau…has scored 30 goals in back to back seasons…was named as Kootenay’s MVP this season…was drafted in the 3rd round, 59th overall, by the Kootenay Ice in the 2010 WHL Bantam Draft…overall I see Philp as your typical small but skilled and hard-working junior scorer…I think his ability to create and process the game gives him future NHL potential as a bottom 6 guy, even if he needs to grind in the minors for a few years before it happens…while I rate him as a borderline draftable player, I don’t foresee him being picked in 2015 due partly to his age…he will surely attend an NHL development camp this summer and have a strong chance to earn a pro contract following the 2015-16 WHL season…

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Love hearing this cindarella type stuff.

Also look for a NHL team to sign his little brother Noah Philp on Seattle Thunderbirds. He is bigger(6'3 200lbs.) than his older brother and is having a great 20 year old season with 75 points in 56 games and is one of Seattles best players. Both Luke and Noah seem to be a couple impressive late bloomers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad