C/W Jesperi Kotkaniemi (2018, 3rd, MTL) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Anyone wants reconsider "his weight doesn't matter in the men's league" after Petterson's WWE bodyslam?

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Anyone wants reconsider "his weight doesn't matter in the men's league" after Petterson's WWE bodyslam?
Pettersson is just extremely light for a hockey player. Kotkaniemi isn't bulky neither but he isn't as lightweight as Pettersson.

Reactions: LAINEC

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
Pettersson is just extremely light for a hockey player. Kotkaniemi isn't bulky neither but he isn't as lightweight as Pettersson.
If Pettersson is extremely light, then so is Kotkaniemi. Pettersson is only 8 pounds less. If someone wanted to body slam Kotkaniemi to the ice, there's not a damn thing he can do about it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Can someone explain to me the physics of ones weight and how it relates specifically to a head injury? Because I’d love to hear of the evidence.

Physics says the larger mass of 2 colliding forces would yield a more destructive impact. Smaller players tend to be more durable for this reason. If a player targets another’s head in a collision, the receiving players body mass is really irrelevant. What is relevant is why the delivering player is delivering a head shot in the first place. Lindros is an excellent example of this.

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Can someone explain to me the physics of ones weight and how it relates specifically to a head injury? Because I’d love to hear of the evidence.

Physics says the larger mass of 2 colliding forces would yield a more destructive impact. Smaller players tend to be more durable for this reason. If a player targets another’s head in a collision, the receiving players body mass is really irrelevant. What is relevant is why the delivering player is delivering a head shot in the first place. Lindros is an excellent example of this.

Ie, Parros ...

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald

I think weight is less an issue on direct hits but there are a number a scenarios where you can get a concussion. When someone tries to slamm a player into the boards for example I would think a lighter players speed will probaly be higher at the time of the impact. Not to mention that the lighter player has less muscles and probaly a weaker skeleton/cartilage structure to soften the blow.

And the there are scenarios like Petterson, where Matheson just lifts him up and throws him on the ice. Its much harder to gain that kind of momentum on a 200 lbs player.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think weight is less an issue on direct hits but there are a number a scenarios where you can get a concussion. When someone tries to slamm a player into the boards for example I would think a lighter players speed will probaly be higher at the time the time of the impact. Not to mention that the lighter player has less muscles and probaly a weaker skeleton/cartilage structure to soften the blow.

And the there are scenarios like Petterson, where Matheson just lifts him up and throws him on the ice. Its much harder to gain so much momentum on a 200 lbs player.

I get what you’re saying and you’re correct, but those plays are not really your typical hockey plays. We might see a handful of them a season and they plays that are not allowed by league rules.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

shooooooooooot

thats because we want him to score so bad, if he doesn't miss his saucer everyone calls him a genius. he could of shot then again the goalie was realy commited to the shot and the pass is a free goal. much more % of scoring with a pass in the situation he was than a shot! unfortunate!

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
He definitely needs to shoot a bit more in certain occasions, but man the hands with that 3 meters stick!
The more I look at it the more I think he anticipated Armia to continue skating and not float like he did.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
He definitely needs to shoot a bit more in certain occasions, but man the hands with that 3 meters stick!
Haven't been watching the Habs a lot this year, but WOW that stick looks infinitely long in his hands. It reminds of of a field lacrosse Defenseman's stick

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
thats because we want him to score so bad, if he doesn't miss his saucer everyone calls him a genius. he could of shot then again the goalie was realy commited to the shot and the pass is a free goal. much more % of scoring with a pass in the situation he was than a shot! unfortunate!

There was nobody blocking his shot (other than the goalie) and there was 3 players that could've intercepted a pass attempt. Shooting was the move to make in this situation

Reactions: Acadien86

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I get what you’re saying and you’re correct, but those plays are not really your typical hockey plays. We might see a handful of them a season and they plays that are not allowed by league rules.

I dont get to see as many games as most users because of the timezone I live in. but I feel often when a head injury happens there is some sort of secondary contact with the boards or the ice. This can also happen after a clean hit or no hit at all, for example when a forward drives hard to the net, gets thrown of balance and crushes head first into the boards. And for those kind of situations players who weigh less seem more vulnerable to me.

On an other note: Its pretty obvious that lighter players are often shorter than heavier ones. Shorter players are at a higher risk to get hit in the head opposed to another body part, because its located at a lower level. This doesn't really apply to Kotkaniemi (or Petterson), but sort of reinforces the narrative that lighter players are more vulnerable to head injuries. A good example for this is that recent hit from MacAvoy on Gaudreau. So maby part of it really is bias...

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Pettersson hit his head on the ice. Bigger boys than him have hit their heads on the ice. Or gotten headshotted by some plug. What a stupid hot take.

It's not a stupid hot take. Pettersson was about a foot from the boards, yet easily pinned and with a lot of force with one arm by Matheson, then just as easily slammed down. You don't see that happening often (or ever) because most players with NHL size/strength would not budge with the same ease.

Reactions: Tube Skates

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
It's not a stupid hot take. Pettersson was about a foot from the boards, yet easily pinned and with a lot of force with one arm by Matheson, then just as easily slammed down. You don't see that happening often (or ever) because most players with NHL size/strength would not budge with the same ease.

you dont see it happening because it's an illegal check that gets you suspended.

pettersson had a stick in his legs to prevent him from protecting himself

Reactions: hohosaregood
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad