C/W Ivan Morozov - Spartak Moscow, KHL (2018, 61st, VGK)

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
So what are we looking at with him? More of a defensive / faceoff 3C in the NHL? I’ve only seen him play in the WJC, but I thought he was pretty good on the 3rd line iirc in more of a checking role.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
More of a defensive / faceoff 3C in the NHL? I’ve only seen him play in the WJC, but I thought he was pretty good on the 3rd line iirc in more of a checking role.
Not at all. Nor has he played much of a defensive role during WJC either.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Strikes me as a Paul Stastny type 2C.

Ok, everyone attack me. I'm ready.

I don’t think that’s a bad comparison at all. Both are very smart and underrated centers, maybe average speed but rest of their game is good. Both more play-makers than scorers.

Ryan Strome might also be a decent comparison.

Reactions: Magnifico

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He is a good playmaker. He needs to shoot more. A shame VGK has a track record of not knowing how to implement a skilled playmaker.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Do explain yourself here.
@SoundAndFury explained it.

In the recent tournament both Morozov and Shipachyov played, with Shipachyov being by a mile the best player on the team, 1C and all. If Vegas drafts Morozov i.e. sees him as prospect who would contribute for them in the future and Shipachyov is right there a much better player in his prime playing the same position on a different level, then I see how Vegas really lacks logic with those decisions they made in the past. Also Morozov's style is similar to Shipachyov's, the same puck skills and vision based playmaking center style. If Shipachyov is somehow not good enough for them, then what do they expect from Morozov?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
@SoundAndFury explained it.

In the recent tournament both Morozov and Shipachyov played, with Shipachyov being by a mile the best player on the team, 1C and all. If Vegas drafts Morozov i.e. sees him as prospect who would contribute for them in the future and Shipachyov is right there a much better player in his prime playing the same position on a different level, then I see how Vegas really lacks logic with those decisions they made in the past. Also Morozov's style is similar to Shipachyov's, the same puck skills and vision based playmaking center style. If Shipachyov is somehow not good enough for them, then what do they expect from Morozov?
So, Russian playmakers. Not even playmakers, though, but playmaker. And Shippy did say it was on both parties but w/e, one thing I'll say is that his treatment was not unique. He was handled like McPhee handled Theodore, & Tuch. Even asked Shippy if he wanted to be traded to a different team to which Shippy declined and went home.

Not to mention McPhee was pretty trash at handling Kuznetsov, right? If you want Russians in general look at the Caps rosters over the years... He's not the GM anymore though. Coaching staff? One survivor from that season.

But if you want to talk about talented playmakers in general, well, that's Vegas' entire forward group except for Pacioretty, Roy, & Tuch. And also let some walk/traded away some like the aforementioned in this thread Stastny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad