C/W Brad Lambert (2022, 30th, WPG) Part 3

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What he needs is to watch a lot of tape and open up the tunnel vision. That's much easier said than done as I believe those kind of attributes are much harder to improve than others like shot or skating
The difference is he doesn’t have to improve sense as much as those guys have to improve attributes like skating, so even if it’s easier to improve an area like skating, you have to add it into the equation that some areas need less improvement than others.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
He'll be much better on north america ice i feel like.
The WJ's he looked so much better, which was a breath of fresh air even if Finland was playing competition that wasn't that tough. Now I'm curious if he's still available for this years world juniors, since he had like 7 during the tournament before it shut down.

Reactions: OregonCanuck

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
dang, it seems like he is gaining steam and climbing the draft board. Too bad, i was really hoping Canucks would get him at 15th.

Big fan of this guy, oozes talent.

Lack of production is over-blown

Reminds me of a mix of Nylander/Barzal

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
dang, it seems like he is gaining steam and climbing the draft board. Too bad, i was really hoping Canucks would get him at 15th.

He's got the speed of Barzal with the way he accelerates. It is understandable why someone would make that comparison at the very least, but if he can't elevate himself as a winger or center, then he might as well be what people think of him as.

Last edited:
Reactions: AHassan

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
How do we even know that? Neither of them have played a single NHL game.

Lysell was already playing in the SHL, but was getting limited minutes and his production stalled. He came to the Giants where he got top line minutes, and really excelled. Absolutely elevated his play in the playoffs.

Huutanen was an unheralded 7th rounder and his game fit perfectly in the WHL. He's going to take some time but being in the WHL did wonders for his development.

Reactions: jepjepjoo

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
How early is too early to draft Lambert to the point where you’d be disappointed if your team drafted him in that spot?

I think I’d for sure take a chance on him in the lower half of the top 10. But, if he was somehow available at #21 (the penguins pick) I’d be really happy to take him.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
How early is too early to draft Lambert to the point where you’d be disappointed if your team drafted him in that spot?

I think I’d for sure take a chance on him in the lower half of the top 10. But, if he was somehow available at #21 (the penguins pick) I’d be really happy to take him.
Anything after Nazar or Mintyukov is okay for me. After/before Slafkovsky.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018

I don't think Lambert is climbing the draft board where it counts (for NHL teams). I think it's just fans getting excited due to some amateur scouts pumping his wheels.

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022

probably top 10. I think anyone past the Sharks pick would be happy just to get Lambert

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

If I was a fan of a top 10 team, and my team picked Lambert, I’d be disappointed. Mid 1st on is OK, but 10 is too early IMO.

He has terrific talent, but he makes very poor decisions with the puck, very consistently. Constantly rushing into defenders and turning it over when a simple pass to a teammate in space is the clear right play. Against juniors his puck-hog style works, but even in Liiga play it’s failing pretty hard. Plus he’s been wearing out his welcome with teams in lightning speed - off-ice is a pretty big concern.

He’ll have to majorly change his approach to succeed in the NHL. Which is possible, but there are plenty of guys I prefer - Wright, Cooley, Slaf, Jiricek, Nemec, Nazar, Gauthier, McGroaty, Minty, Korchinski, Savoie and Geekie are my personal top 12. Then Lambert arguable with guys like Kemell, Lekkerimaki, Yurov, Miro, Kasper and Mateychuk. Overall, I see more Jason Blake than Matt Barzal.

Last edited:

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I've been thinking the Isles will surely take this guy with his uncle now coach, but I'm getting second thoughts about that now. The more I read the more likely it is that he will fall considerably. With such a close call between the prospects ranked 10-40, his assumed lack of hockey IQ will probably lead to him being ranked a way down every team's lists, so there's always someone ahead of him on the next team's list. Could easily fall way into the 20s before some team snags him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Pronman surveyed four scouts and execs on where they'd take Lambert. One said back half of the 1st, one said in the teens, one said after twenty, and another said "we'll let someone else take him". So if you're sitting at 15 and you want Lambert, it looks like he is probably all yours.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Plus he’s been wearing out his welcome with teams in lightning speed - off-ice is a pretty big concern.
What do you mean "wearing out his welcome"? Lambert's team switching seems to be mostly motivated by getting more icetime and more opportunity. From HIFK to JYP to get more icetime. From JYP to Pelicans when JYP is out of playoffs and Pelicans have a chance to make it.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
What do you mean "wearing out his welcome"? Lambert's team switching seems to be mostly motivated by getting more icetime and more opportunity. From HIFK to JYP to get more icetime. From JYP to Pelicans when JYP is out of playoffs and Pelicans have a chance to make it.
Maybe a poor choice of words, put for him to go from Pelicans, to HFIK, to JYP, then back to Pelicans in just a few years is very unusual for a top Finnish prospect. The teams are pretty tight lipped, so we don’t get many definitive statements about what’s going on, but the rumours are that Lambert gets quickly disgruntled, thinks the team is holding him back, and forces his way to a new team.

Obviously that’s a major concern for anyone drafting him - if he faces a little adversity, is he going to force his way off your team too?

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Pronman surveyed four scouts and execs on where they'd take Lambert. One said back half of the 1st, one said in the teens, one said after twenty, and another said "we'll let someone else take him". So if you're sitting at 15 and you want Lambert, it looks like he is probably all yours.
I would be fine with Buffalo taking him at 16 (depending on who is there, of course) but hell no at #9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad