C Victor Crus-Rydberg (2013, 136th overall, NY Islanders)

steve141

Aug 13, 2009
My hometown U20 team just signed this kid. I know that he has the highest total scores ever in the TV-puck (Sweden's national U16) tournament, which is usually the stage where Swedish players first get noticed.

Can anyone who has seen him tell me anything more about his game? How does he play? Is he really as good as his numbers show, or just bigger than his peers?

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
I've only seen him in TV-pucken games but the thing that really stood out to me was his passing ability and patience with the puck. Looked like Bäckström out there. Two years in a row he has looked a class apart as an underager at the TV-Pucken tournament.

Next Swedish übertalent? Let the hype begin :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Puckluck11

Feb 13, 2008
Luleå
In my limited viewing i would describe him as a playmaker. His hockey sense, passing and anticipation is a step above everyone else i have seen in his age. Sure he can score to but his playmaking skills are the one's that sticks out.
He's not a speedster in any way, but that can surely improve and so far he seems to adjust nicely to the J20 league, racking up the points.

Will be interesting to see how his play transcend to the international stage.

Congrats to LHC!

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Its not very common at all to play and produce so well as a u16 player in Superelit. He is with 8 points in 12 games already in fifth place of the all-time season list. I really liked him in Tv-pucken. He was not exceptionally speedy but had great vision and great hands.

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
Saw him in TV-pucken, very exciting youngster.

He's very good with the puck, patient and an excellent passer. Bäckström is a pretty good comparison.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
I wrote this about the kid in the Swedish forum after the TV-pucken tournament in September, where he was the scoring leader:

- Victor Crus-Rydberg, C, Tingsryd 6-0/181 2013
This is Nicklas Backstrom 2.0. He's got the same hockey sense and hands. Add to that really smooth skating and agility. He hasn't got great top speed but his first strides are good. Good shot as well but he sometimes overplays situations too much and should maybe shoot more instead of looking for pass-first. I'd be surprised if a talent of this magnitude didn't go far. Voted best forward of the tournament. Had 20 pts (5+15) in 8 games and was a stunning 17-0 in those games.

After the tourmant he's been playing J20 hockey and seemingly doing very well against opponents that are 1-4 years older. 8 points in 12 games on a bottom feeder team is very impressive. I'm really excited about this kid!

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Any updates on Victor Cruz-Rydberg? How does he compare to other highly touted swedish players in recent years like Magnus Svensson-Paajarvi, Niklas Backstrom, when they were his age.

FirmestPiano

May 22, 2011
Any updates on Victor Cruz-Rydberg? How does he compare to other highly touted swedish players in recent years like Magnus Svensson-Paajarvi, Niklas Backstrom, when they were his age.

Saw him play last night. Didn't stand out as much as I thought he would but you could see there's a lot of talent there. He's got vision, a heck of a shot as someone else here posted and he's pretty fast on his skates. Got some nice puck handling ability too.

As to where he stands compared to others like the names you brought up I don't really know. As I said he didn't really stand out, as I thought Markus Söberg (also 2013 eligable) did when I saw him play. Maybe he just had a bad game.

Oh, and he's pretty bulky for his size aswell.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
He played in Superelit as a 15-year old and now in the j-18league as a 16 year old. That doesn't seem ike the perfect development route.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
He played in Superelit as a 15-year old and now in the j-18league as a 16 year old. That doesn't seem ike the perfect development route.

Isn't Tingsryd a tiny organization without much depth in their juniors? This is just speculation as I know very little of swedish junior development but he probably wouldn't have played with the J20 team last year in a stronger organization like Linköping. Still, it is an odd route he's taking, and doesn't sound very positive.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
4 points in his first game tonight for Plymouth, is on pace for 272 points

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad