C Tyson Foerster - Barrie Colts, OHL (2020, 23rd, PHI)

KristichBabych

Jun 15, 2018
He seems to be a shooter, but not a lot of deke, creativity, hitting or to bring the puck... I thought he was the kind of physical player that NHL teams would like at first(in a lot of mockdraft), but after some videos , I am not sure...It's hard to find an offensive player who love to hit, fight and run the play! Do you think he can become an aggressive player like a lesser Tkachuk?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Wouldn’t mind the islanders trading back into the late first/early 2nd if he’s available and taking him. Kids got good size and a wicked shot. Probably projects long term on the wing though.

Last edited:
Reactions: TkachukNorris79

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
So I'm really liking Foerster quite a bit and was wondering if taking him at 26 would be a good use of that pick assuming the Blues keep it. I know skating is a concern and I've also seen some question whether his skill set will translate to NHL ice.

Opinions on Foerster @26th?

Reactions: SI90

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
From watching videos of him he kind of reminds me of Buchnevich. Am I close on that comparison?

A guy he reminds me of in particular is former Oiler Captain Ryan Smyth. Big guy, choppy skater and a leader that can score big goals. "It's an old comp sir..but it checks out."

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
A guy he reminds me of in particular is former Oiler Captain Ryan Smyth. Big guy, choppy skater and a leader that can score big goals. "It's an old comp sir..but it checks out."

Foerster isn't nearly as gritty as Smyth and his shot is way better he can score from almost anywhere past the blueline whereas Smyth was mostly score grinding goals from close. Not really similar players at all.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So I'm really liking Foerster quite a bit and was wondering if taking him at 26 would be a good use of that pick assuming the Blues keep it. I know skating is a concern and I've also seen some question whether his skill set will translate to NHL ice.

Opinions on Foerster @26th?

I don't see any issue with it. He has really high upside, if the skating improves a little.

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
Yeah they’re literally polar opposites lmao

Polar opposites would imply there's no similarities. Both big players, clunky skaters that can score and play well in traffic. The physical characteristics and similar weakness as skaters is what really connects them for me, not necessarily a direct play style comp.

Stylistically they're different players with Foerster having a way better shot and dangerous anywhere in the o-zone and Smyth being a net front short range scorer. I swear you can't make any sort of comparison here without someone either misunderstanding why or being way too literal in nitpicking a comp.

Oh and neither you nor wings5 told me where you have Foerster at or if you thought he was good value @26th.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Polar opposites would imply there's no similarities. Both big players, clunky skaters that can score and play well in traffic. The physical characteristics and similar weakness as skaters is what really connects them for me, not necessarily a direct play style comp.

Stylistically they're different players with Foerster having a way better shot and dangerous anywhere in the o-zone and Smyth being a net front short range scorer. I swear you can't make any sort of comparison here without someone either misunderstanding why or being way too literal in nitpicking a comp.

Oh and neither you nor wings5 told me where you have Foerster at or if you thought he was good value @26th.
Smyth might have the worst shot in the history of 30 goal scorers he’s just a bad comp for a prospect touted for shooting

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
His name is confusing, at first I thought one particular journalist misspelled his name, only to double check and embarrass myself.

I think it was in DD video, but he has scored most of his goals on PP. Not a bad thing of course, but he will need to produce on ES as well. Improved skating will help that, help him be more well rounded

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

The big difference between the two is Smyth made a living around the net while Foerster probably has the farthest average goal distance in the draft with his cannon of a shot.

45361_tyson-foerster2020.png

Reactions: TK 421

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
Haven’t seen him play at all and I thought initially just by looking at stats and size that he might be rugged and gritty but after reading reviews seems that isn’t the case?

Anyone have a player type analysis of the kid to give me a better idea?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Hell, Squirt teams, if not younger than that, go to skating coaches around here. And I'm talking the same guys who the Wild use, or someone equally as good.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Hell, Squirt teams, if not younger than that, go to skating coaches around here. And I'm talking the same guys who the Wild use, or someone equally as good.

Makes sense since the state of Minnesota produces many good skaters. Alot of CHL players like Horvat, Tavares etc don't improve their skating much until they reach the pros. This made me think they probably don't receive too much formal training earlier on in the youth/junior ranks unless they pay for it themselves out of pocket.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I don't see any issue with it. He has really high upside, if the skating improves a little.
I keep hearing this. I haven’t caught much of Foerster outside of the TPG and don’t have a formulated opinion. What do you think his ceiling is if he can improve his skating? Guy can shoot the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad