C Tyson Baillie - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2014 undrafted)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Kid deserves his own thread.

I was going through some files on my old laptop over the weekend and found a report I had written on him in the fall of 2011. He was a fresh 16 year old rookie then. It described him as being quick, shifty, aggressive, hard working and having some great offensive instincts.

He's clearly continued that. He put up 56 points in 67 games this year, his second full WHL season. He's also had a good playoff so far, scoring a hat trick last night in Game 7 of the Rockets first round series vs. Seattle.

He's a late '95, so he has the advantage of playing an extra year in the WHL before his draft year, just like guys like Sam Reinhart and Hunter Shinkaruk.

He's only listed at 5'10, but he's 185 pounds. We'll see if he still has some growing left to do.

For me, he's one of those guys that fits somewhere in the top 45-60 for the 2014 NHL Draft. He's also among the group of skilled, hard working but 'undersized' forwards from the WHL for 2014 along with Brayden Point (MJ) and Jayce Hawryluk (BRN).

Should be interesting to see if he can continue to boost his stock this postseason and see what his measurements are next fall for his 3rd full WHL season and draft year.

http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/9119

arsmaster*

I was wondering if there was one already?

When I saw him live earlier, he looked bigger than 5'10", but boy is he ever a player.

Noticeable each and every time I've seen him this year, works really hard, and is just smart. Ends up in the right place at the right time (see both goals last night).

Definitely a top 60 pick in 2014 at this time, and if he has that magic 2-3 inch growth spurt, he'll be top 20.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I was wondering if there was one already?

When I saw him live earlier, he looked bigger than 5'10", but boy is he ever a player.

Noticeable each and every time I've seen him this year, works really hard, and is just smart. Ends up in the right place at the right time (see both goals last night).

Definitely a top 60 pick in 2014 at this time, and if he has that magic 2-3 inch growth spurt, he'll be top 20.

Did a search and there wasn't one.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Been watching the Kamloops-Kelowna series and I've been impressed with him from the couple games he's played. Pretty solid kid for his size.. Probably could play at 5'11 200 when he fills out and grows a little.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Baillie was suspended for the 2nd and 3rd game of the series scored tonight but has been quiet beside that play, looks to be a good player with nice offence he need s to grow, he does have a nasty element to has game which is nice

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
The only thing that might hold him back on draft day is his 5-10 frame but he packs alot of strength, all-round skill and intangibles in that average sized package.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Named WHL player of the month for Decmber. 46pts in 38 games on the season.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
Seriously how is this kid not getting more love he's an absolute monster! Has high level IQ leaves everything on the table and puts 100% into every shift, a fan, the type of player everyone wants on their team, the type of player you win with.

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
Seriously how is this kid not getting more love he's an absolute monster! Has high level IQ leaves everything on the table and puts 100% into every shift, a fan, the type of player everyone wants on their team, the type of player you win with.

One word, size.

arsmaster*

One word, size.

Which is ridiculous. There are alot of spark plug types that are 5'10" and under in the league.

Pretty garbage reasoning for me and I've already gone on about it in the CHL top prospects game thread.

arsmaster*

It's not just his size.

What else? Skating?

Because I could see an issue there, but does too many other things well to pidgeon whole him to a smallish poor skater label.

Lots of NHL version of Andrew Shaw is what I see, because chl version of Baillie is 10x the player.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Second highest amount of points by any draft eligible player in the CHL (Just behind Nikolay Goldobin) with 5 goals and 15 assists in 12 games. He's a really fun player to watch, endlessly creative with a surprisingly menacing physical streak.

Don't look now, either, but someone finally woke up Rourke Chartier, the Rockets other 16-year-old who impressed in 2012-13. After putting up just 9 points n his 24 games (Including a 10 game October where he had exactly 0 points), Chartier suddenly realized it was his draft year and put up 12 points in Kelowna's 12 games in December.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Second highest amount of points by any draft eligible player in the CHL (Just behind Nikolay Goldobin) with 5 goals and 15 assists in 12 games. He's a really fun player to watch, endlessly creative with a surprisingly menacing physical streak.

Don't look now, either, but someone finally woke up Rourke Chartier, the Rockets other 16-year-old who impressed in 2012-13. After putting up just 9 points n his 24 games (Including a 10 game October where he had exactly 0 points), Chartier suddenly realized it was his draft year and put up 12 points in Kelowna's 12 games in December.

Rourke is a really good player. Could see him getting scooped up in the 5th round.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
What else? Skating?

Because I could see an issue there, but does too many other things well to pidgeon whole him to a smallish poor skater label.

Lots of NHL version of Andrew Shaw is what I see, because chl version of Baillie is 10x the player.

We've been through this a couple times. I like Baillie, but in a different place you like him. It just comes down to how early in the draft you want to take that risk that he becomes that player. For me it's the 3rd-4th round. And he's not alone. Brayden Point and Jayce Hawryluk are in the same boat.

VerySuperFamous

Feb 11, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Surprised he didn't go atleast in the seventh. Heard a few good things about him, and not really any bad, but I guess that makes no difference because I heard bad things about Kirkland.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Was ranked to go in the 1st 3 rounds I think, guess NHL teams thought he was too soft to make it.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Was ranked to go in the 1st 3 rounds I think, guess NHL teams thought he was too soft to make it.

I have never heard anyone call him soft. Always goes where he needs to and gets physical regularly. Just small, meh skater with limited upside. His character and hard work I thought would get him drafted. We had him 98. Has to prove everyone wrong I guess.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I have never heard anyone call him soft. Always goes where he needs to and gets physical regularly. Just small, meh skater with limited upside. His character and hard work I thought would get him drafted. We had him 98. Has to prove everyone wrong I guess.

Well yeah, I meant soft when it comes to effort.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Pretty surprised he wasnt drafted. I hope he gets invited to a prospect camp.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
4.5/5 green stars on NHL14, doesn't even get drafted. Good job EA. Thought he would make it, atleast through the 7th round.

-edit- Just looked at his twitter... "Boys are hot"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad