C Tyler Johnson (2008 undrafted, Tampa Bay)

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Local player from Spokane that has gone on to make a name for himself with US hockey.

Very small, very fast and mildly skilled. Strong two-way game, and can finish if he gets the chances.

Doubt he will have an NHL career, but he could be a strong AHLer.

Fortheloveofthegame

Mar 18, 2008
USA
Poor guy gets kicked out of the first WJC game against Latvia, and it was not even his penalty. As a matter of fact, it should not have been a penalty in the first place and then they kick the wrong guy out of the game!

Trav

Aug 2, 2005
The call was bogus...

I think the only reason why it was called was because the Slovak player was bleeding. I saw the hi-lites and it didn't look like a high stick, looked like a legal hit. I don't get how they got the wrong guy cuz the ref was right there.

Fortheloveofthegame

Mar 18, 2008
USA
there was no high stick. The initial hit looked like he was out, and that is why his head hit the ice so hard.....that is where the cut was from.

Halifaxhab*

The ref obviously is an idiot, but the call was for a "head shot" even if its a legal shoulder to head hit we see all the time in North America it's a penalty in International play. A similar call was made against Kadri in the CAN-LATVIA game.

It's still a bogus call but that's why NA players have to really pay attention sometimes.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
If he probably couldn't get an NHL contract, would he be better off playing in the CIS and getting his degree?

If I'm not mistaken he has been offered an NHL contract and turned it down. He was originally going to go the NCAA route but was coaxed into coming to Spokane to play in the 'dub instead.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if he goes the CIS route.

TimHortons

Gud Night
Jan 26, 2004
C Tyler Johnson - UFA signing by Tampa Bay (2008 undrafted)

Just wanted to see if anyone can give me a more complete prospect analysis on Tyler Johnson of the Spokane Chiefs. He was extremely visible for the US in the WJC with his heady two-way play and hockey IQ. He seems to compete/produce at each level he's played at. He has produced decent numbers in the Dub and is draft eligible 2010. He was also named player of the month for the WHL in February (10+14 in 13 games). I am well aware of the size concerns regarding his stature(5'9'' 165 lbs) and did not see him in a cursory glance of the CSS mid-term rankings. Is his omission due to a small stature?

Past two years stats:

Gms G A Pts
62 26 35 61
60 33 33 66

Any insight as to where/if he'll be drafted and analysis on his game would be greatly appreciated.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Really liked this kid at the WJC, if he isn't drafted where will he play next season? As an overager in the WHL, the AHL, or maybe Europe?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Really liked this kid at the WJC, if he isn't drafted where will he play next season? As an overager in the WHL, the AHL, or maybe Europe?

Depends on how deep there roster is with 20 year olds. If he was cut I would imagine he would easily find a job in the AHL.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
He is 19 and has been draft eligible for the last 2 years.

You pretty much get what you saw with the world junior team. He's not an elite top-line center, but he certainly gets the job done, as his point totals will prove. He came into the league as a 17 year old on a fairly deep team that won the Memorial Cup, and turned a ton of heads with his shutdown abilities on the third line; they went up against some of the top players in all of junior hockey that year and pretty much stuffed any offensive hopes back into their face.

He has tremendous, blazing speed, and a good enough shot. I don't honestly believe we will see him drafted, because I don't think he puts up big enough numbers for an undersized 19 year old; and if he does move ahead with his career it will have to be a Martin St. Louis type journey, where he will have to prove himself as a role player first.

I'm sure if he wants to come back to the Chiefs next year, we will have him as a 20 year old. The Chiefs have a young team coming back next season.

TimHortons

Gud Night
Jan 26, 2004
He is 19 and has been draft eligible for the last 2 years.

You pretty much get what you saw with the world junior team. He's not an elite top-line center, but he certainly gets the job done, as his point totals will prove. He came into the league as a 17 year old on a fairly deep team that won the Memorial Cup, and turned a ton of heads with his shutdown abilities on the third line; they went up against some of the top players in all of junior hockey that year and pretty much stuffed any offensive hopes back into their face.

He has tremendous, blazing speed, and a good enough shot. I don't honestly believe we will see him drafted, because I don't think he puts up big enough numbers for an undersized 19 year old; and if he does move ahead with his career it will have to be a Martin St. Louis type journey, where he will have to prove himself as a role player first.

I'm sure if he wants to come back to the Chiefs next year, we will have him as a 20 year old. The Chiefs have a young team coming back next season.

Thanks for the response. This detailed analysis is just what I was looking for. Any projections what type of role he could end up in (3-5 years down the line)? Bottom 6 forward? I see a player who is a real gamer(competes his tail off) with a good IQ. I understand he had a tryout with the Yotes last year. Thanks again for your responses.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Thanks for the response. This detailed analysis is just what I was looking for. Any projections what type of role he could end up in (3-5 years down the line)? Bottom 6 forward? I see a player who is a real gamer(competes his tail off) with a good IQ. I understand he had a tryout with the Yotes last year. Thanks again for your responses.

I would love to think he could develop into an NHLer, but I would think as a Scott Nichol type player - does alot of the little things but not really known for his skill.

He's a great junior player, but I just don't think he's got NHL size or skill.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I think someone like Ryan Bayda could be a good comparison for Johnson. One of those guys that you want to have in the organization because they can do everything, but without one exceptional skill set that keeps them as something of an NHL/AHL tweener. Sadly if he were 3 inches taller he would have been drafted long before now with a late round pick. Instead, I'm hoping he passes through the draft once again and that the Canes sign him immediately afterwords.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I think someone like Ryan Bayda could be a good comparison for Johnson. One of those guys that you want to have in the organization because they can do everything, but without one exceptional skill set that keeps them as something of an NHL/AHL tweener. Sadly if he were 3 inches taller he would have been drafted long before now with a late round pick. Instead, I'm hoping he passes through the draft once again and that the Canes sign him immediately afterwords.

That's a good assessment.

I heard Carolina offered him a contract awhile back - not sure what came of that.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Nothing really, he's playing as an overager I believe. A better question would be to ask what can he do in the AHL or in Europe?

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
He's been to Minnesota's Prospect Camp and Traverse City Tourney for the past 2 years; I thought that I heard that he's excelled in a shutdown/checking role despite his size?

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I don't think he has NHL potential.

Smallish (5'9", 165 pounds), very quick, and good in all three zones. That being said, he is best served as a supporting second or third line center in the WHL, who plays better in a defensive role than an offensive role. Defensive forwards in the NHL can't be 5'9" in most cases, and I don't think he has the offensive potential to make up for it.

He could be a strong minor leaguer, the kind of guy that helps bring along a team's prospects and plays a responsible game. I'd really be surprised to see him in the NHL.

TimHortons

Gud Night
Jan 26, 2004
Bump.

Tyler Johnson is currently 3rd in WHL scoring. Any update to his potential pro status?

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Bump.

Tyler Johnson is currently 3rd in WHL scoring. Any update to his potential pro status?

I watch this kid alot and have seen him live dozens of times.

Good WHL player.....good team guy......possible AHL fit......higher than that would be very unlikely.

He is a 20 year old and trails 2 younger players in the WHL points race....

Oshie

Feb 9, 2010
Saskatoon
I could see this kid playing in the dub next year as a big leader as a 20 year old. I love the way that this kid plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad