RW Tyler Boucher - Belleville Senators, AHL (2021, 10th, OTT)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like this player’s game. Everything I said in December applies, but now I’m seeing a good physical game and he skates really well for a power forward. It’s hard to peg a range. He’s probably a mid-round guy, but he plays on a very deep team, so he could be underrated and he has another season of development before his draft. He’s raw but talented, so he may have significant development ahead of him.

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
Nice start to the season for Boucher, picking up 5 points in his first three games with the U18 team. Real good size and isn't afraid to use it. Add in a super high compete level, and there's a lot to like about the package he brings.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s raw but talented, so he may have significant development ahead of him.

This is exactly what's happened.

I think it's very clear that Boucher has improved the most from U17 year to U18 year of all of the NTDP players. He's no longer a raw player with good tools. He's now a consistent force.

I don't want to compare him to Tom Wilson because there are differences, but there's Tom Wilson production upside in his game.

Boucher is really big, he's already like 6'1 200+, incredibly strong and holds off all players at the junior level because he's stronger than them. He's a very good skater for a player his size with straight away speed but also the ability to make cuts and move side to side. He dangles really well also. He makes some creative passes. In fact, his best passes are his creative passes. His lack of ability to make effective simple passes is probably the biggest issue with his offensive skills. He also has a good shot. He can beat goalies clean.

Physically, he's a real danger to the players on the other team. Every shift he'll look to hit someone. Sometimes, he'll hit 3-4 players on a shift. Sometimes, he'll knock a player into the next county. But his hits are often illegal, they are poorly timed, they are unneeded, and they take him out of position defensively. His positioning defensively is often poor, and he's a cherry picker. He's lazy defensively, and doesn't want to contribute without the puck if it's not hitting a player.

I think he's going to be a winger because he's not good defensively, he's not much of a playmaker, and he takes himself out of position a lot. But he does take some face-offs and occasionally will still line up for shifts as a center.

Like most power forwards, his decision making isn't very good. With the puck, I wouldn't say his decision making is that bad. It's not good, but it's not that bad. His really bad decision-making is in the hits he makes. He puts his team short-handed a lot. He's going to get suspended a lot, if he doesn't learn to hit legally.

I still think he's a huge riser for this draft. He's a consistent force every shift and the other team knows where he is every shift. All teams are going to want a player like this. Considering he's a big riser, pegging a range is difficult. I would say late first is around where he should go for now.

Reactions: Dominance

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’ll be interested to see where he’s picked. McKenzie listed him at 40. I would be surprised though if some teams don’t have him high and some teams have him low. He’s only played 12 games this season due to injuries, and he needs to learn how to play responsible hockey, but I wouldn’t be surprised if some teams had him in the first round. He has really high upside.

Reactions: jvr32

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Born in Haddonfield, New Jersey, forward Tyler Boucher has spent the last two seasons with the United States National Team Development Program. This past year he was limited by a series knee injury suffered in January. He played just 12 games for the Under-18 team, scoring six goals and five assists for 11 points. Rehabbing his injured knee, he also played two games for the Under-17 team, scoring three goals. Boucher ended up missing out on the IIHF Under-18 World Championships as a result of his injury.

In 2019-20 Boucher put up nine goals and 17 assists for 26 points in 43 games with the Under-17 team. He also won a silver medal playing with Team USA at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. Boucher scored a goal and three assists for four points in six tournament games.

Boucher is the son of former NHL goaltender Brian Boucher. He is committed to playing NCAA Division One hockey for the Boston University Terriers next season. Should he change his mind and opt to head to the CHL, his rights are owned by the Ottawa 67s who took him in the 7th round of the 2019 OHL Draft.

2021 NHL Draft #50: Tyler Boucher Scouting Report

Reactions: SI90

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
with everyone looking for the next tom wilson, josh anderson, etc, and this being a mediocre draft
with minimal views on some guys, assume tyler will go late in the 1st round.

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
Zach Bolduc
Samuel Helenius
Francesco Pinelli (not necessarily a power-forward; but has the body to grow into that role)

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Zach Bolduc
Samuel Helenius
Francesco Pinelli (not necessarily a power-forward; but has the body to grow into that role)

Bolduc might be better, but he’s not a power forward. Helenius has nowhere near the skating or offense of Boucher. And you already defeated your own argument for Pinelli. He’s not a power forward. You can’t just say someone is big with some grit so that means they project as a power forward. It doesn’t work like that.

Boucher is an actual power forward that plays like it on the ice. I don’t know how someone could think he’s overrated. He’s about as underrated as any player in this draft. I would bet most people didn’t even see him play this season. He played so few games. But the few games he played he was much improved and looked like a first round pick.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Bolduc might be better, but he’s not a power forward. Helenius has nowhere near the skating or offense of Boucher. And you already defeated your own argument for Pinelli. He’s not a power forward. You can’t just say someone is big with some grit so that means they project as a power forward. It doesn’t work like that.

Boucher is an actual power forward that plays like it on the ice. I don’t know how someone could think he’s overrated. He’s about as underrated as any player in this draft. I would bet most people didn’t even see him play this season. He played so few games. But the few games he played he was much improved and looked like a first round pick.

I agree, there are very few actual power forwards available like Boucher.

One minor note of caution is that he isn't going to be quite so scary against NHLers, he's not like a late blooming 6'4 Josh Anderson or Adam Lowry type of guy. He's 6'1 and scary against teenagers but doesn't have much room to get stronger.

I'd still have him in my top 31 though, his physical presence will be valuable.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

One minor note of caution is that he isn't going to be quite so scary against NHLers, he's not like a late blooming 6'4 Josh Anderson or Adam Lowry type of guy. He's 6'1 and scary against teenagers but doesn't have much room to get stronger.

He was measured at 6'1 at the beginning of the season. The NTDP is known to not inflate measurements, unless it's a situation of a much shorter player, so we know he's at least 6'1. He might have grown since the start of the season. He only turned 18 in January and his father 6'2, so I don't think it'd be unlikely if he had grown to 6'2 or 6'3 during the season. I believe there's no combine this year, so we won't get the official measurements on that.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He was measured at 6'1 at the beginning of the season. The NTDP is known to not inflate measurements, unless it's a situation of a much shorter player, so we know he's at least 6'1. He might have grown since the start of the season. He only turned 18 in January and his father 6'2, so I don't think it'd be unlikely if he had grown to 6'2 or 6'3 during the season. I believe there's no combine this year, so we won't get the official measurements on that.

I could buy 6'2.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Plenty of guys smaller than 6'1 have been fairly scary against NHLers though and that was back when the NHL wasnt as soft as it is right now. He'll likely end up playing at a similar size as Chris Neil who I would consider a pretty scary dude.

JoshTessler

Jun 18, 2020
Paul Zuk from my team at Smaht Scouting wrote this report on Boucher. Check it out. Hit him up if you have any questions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad